The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302S Hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I contacted Paul Brown at Tiger Racing in SoCal and the Boss 302S hood will be available in fiberglass and non cosmetic carbon fiber. The fiberglass hood will be ready for shipping by the end of April and will cost $800. The CF hood is lighter and will cost $1,300, no eta on shipping. Both hoods are direct bolt on just like stock and although not required Paul recommends using hood pins. Here's some pics.

149923_1494572403898_1221703594_31223429_7827521_n.jpg
148802_1494571683880_1221703594_31223426_2379302_n.jpg
149065_1494572883910_1221703594_31223432_2380610_n.jpg

Re: Boss 302S Hood Availability

Well I suppose I could just order this hood and leave it white. Then I would just need to make my trunk all white to match everything else lol

According to a post Paul made on another forum the carbon hoods are being made now and being shipped. I have had a deposit on one for a few weeks so hopefully that means soon. But we have fresh snow coming so i won't be getting it on for a couple of months. I am getting antsy.

5 DOT 0 said:
Looks like these hoods should be available in 3-4 weeks and Tiger is now taking deposits on them. Get yours ordered now Gary!
Do I have to be the guinea pig on EVERYTHING??? :D I'll be watching this, but would like to see someone else do it first.

5 DOT 0 said:
I wonder if the hood vents actually extract heat from the engine? ???
That's what I'd want to know. If it doesn't I'm not interested in it. I like the stock hood, but would consider changing for better performance.

Would be cool for a track car. Not so nice in the rain with water flowing through the engine compartment! Same problem as louvers on hot rod hoods. Looks awesome though.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Ford has a video showing Boss 302S wind tunnel test http://youtu.be/Gr40fdYmd2I and the smoke does come out of the hood venting! So the heat extraction does work, I don't know about rain water flow but swapping hoods for a track day or race only takes 2 people 10 minutes max. 2 hose connections for washers, 2 bolts each side, flip the hood pins up or install and the stock hood is off, then just 4 bolts for the 302S hood and you are ready to race! I think I am talking myself into another $1300 expenditure!!!
Steve

Latest report I heard on my carbon Tiger Racing hood is that Ford is still getting all the carbon hoods. I am looking at another month or two before I get mine and I have had a deposit on one since March.

The venting also decreases front end lift and drag. As the air exiting the radiators can go up instead of under the car lift and drag is reduced.

DSC_0069.png

From the standpoint of physics (no I'm not a physicist), a ventilated hood would have to work. Air coming in the grill would increase air pressure in the engine compartment and vents in the top of the hood would naturally suck it out. Even without moving, heat rises and would naturally vent out of the slats in a vented hood.

What I've always wondered is how rain and moisture go along with a vented hood. Unless covered, any significant rainfall at a standstill would drain through the slats and into the engine compartment. I know the componets are mostly sealed, but shorts in the electrical would still seem possible. Plus, wouldn't you have dirt and water spots all over your engine compartment?

I think the vented hoods are awesome, and probably a given for racing applications. But for a street Boss are they practical?

All good points Jim and I have the same questions/concerns. If it really is that easy to swap for track days, I'd still consider it. Problem is I'm already at 3-5 hours on each side of a track weekend just with brake pads, rotors and sometimes fluid and wheels and tires and packing up all the extra parts, fluids, tools and stuff. At some point it's more work than play! ;D

jimprw said:
What I've always wondered is how rain and moisture go along with a vented hood. Unless covered, any significant rainfall at a standstill would drain through the slats and into the engine compartment. I know the componets are mostly sealed, but shorts in the electrical would still seem possible. Plus, wouldn't you have dirt and water spots all over your engine compartment?

I think the vented hoods are awesome, and probably a given for racing applications. But for a street Boss are they practical?
It would be for me as mine won't be a daily driver and will be garaged. I don't plan on driving it in the rain but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I'm not planning on buying this hood but it sure looks great. Add a Steeda "street" wing and you'll be ready for the track!

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Looks like these hoods should be available in 3-4 weeks and Tiger is now taking deposits on them. Get yours ordered now Gary!
Do I have to be the guinea pig on EVERYTHING??? :D I'll be watching this, but would like to see someone else do it first.

No problem Gary. I'll be the guinea pig on this one! I'm also installing the LS splitter. You havent done that yet, right? Just having trouble deciding whether double the price is worth half the weight. $750 = 28lbs 1400 = 14lbs

Nude carbon fiber would look really bad ass on a Boss, and you wouldn't want to paint it anyway. The look alone would be pretty unique and, IMHO be well worth the extra $$$ even without the 50% weight saving. If you got the bucks, I vote you go with the CF. If not, the base ventilated hood is pretty trick as well.

jimprw said:
Nude carbon fiber would look really bad ass on a Boss, and you wouldn't want to paint it anyway. The look alone would be pretty unique and, IMHO be well worth the extra $$$ even without the 50% weight saving. If you got the bucks, I vote you go with the CF. If not, the base ventilated hood is pretty trick as well.
I'm with Gary on the glass hood but do agree that CF would look nice. TruCarbon has CF hood and trunk lids if you are so inclined. I'm going with their CF GT500 spoiler.

15_trucarbon_gt500_photoshop.jpg

cloud9 said:
If it's just to save 14 lbs, I'd say get the glass one. On a 3600 lb car that's not much difference.
I was thinking the same thing (about the weight difference ), but then I also thought 14 here, 10 there, 25 over there, maybe 40 from removing the back seat. Adds up after awhile. What r ur thoughts about that?
Should I go carbon or fiberglass?

Well weight reduction is always good. However, it's hard to do anything significant with these S197 Mustangs unless you take the plunge and gut it as a track car. The rear seat delete is worth about 20 lbs net if you finish it off, and that's if you don't put in the Laguna Seca X-brace which would probably net to zero weight savings. The biggest bang for the buck is rotational mass which is why I did rotors, wheels and tires. The hood is sprung weight but not rotational, so it would help a little, but not noticeable. IMO the hood decision between glass and CF would be purely aesthetic versus cost.

TMO Supporting Vendors