The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302S Hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Boss 302S Hood Availability

You guys are starting to get to me :mad:

Schwing!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not looking good for me to be able to hold out on this one, especially when it's my color.

cloud9 said:

Schwing!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not looking good for me to be able to hold out on this one, especially when it's my color.

I think I'm going CF. Now my dilemma is how to make it look? I'm thinking KB and the vents white to match the Boss styling & then the rear wing white with KB winglets and legs. Wish I was good with photoshop to try it. Any thoughts from you guys?

cloud9 said:
Schwing!!!!!!!!!!!

So you're going to buy a 302S? ;)

So I did it! Ordered the CF hood for my silver LS.
Do I paint it all sliver ?
Or sliver with the vent section orange ?
My 1st thought is to too keep the color coordination thing going.
Ideas ?
Anyone good with photo shop?
Hood pins or not?
Gary I know your next!

roketman said:
Ideas ?
Hood pins or not?
Gary I know your next!

I'm leaning towards keeping the color scheme going. Mine is KB and I'm planning on the vents to be white. I found the hood pins at Www.steeda.com

roketman said:
Ideas ?
Hood pins or not?
Gary I know your next!
I'd paint it silver with the vent section red to match the rest of the accent pieces but leave the underside CF. It's a good idea to install hood pins with aftermarket hoods.

Come on Gary, skip the hood and just buy the whole car. You know you want one.

That's what I should have done.....just buy the 302S. I figured I couldn't justify a $75k car that I drove 6-7 weekends a year. The problem is I'll probably end up with another $75k street Mustang if you guys keep it up with all these mod suggestions! :mad:

5 DOT 0 said:
roketman said:
Ideas ?
I'd paint it silver with the vent section red to match the rest of the accent pieces but leave the underside CF.

Too funny, my friend with the LS on order told me he has this hood on order, I did not know. We were talking about painting like you asked, I said just paint it black since the LS has no hood decal anyway but.... as always it is up to you.

Jza1736 said:
roketman said:
Ideas ?
Hood pins or not?
Gary I know your next!

I'm leaning towards keeping the color scheme going. Mine is KB and I'm planning on the vents to be white. I found the hood pins at Www.steeda.com
Do you think we need four pins like on the 302S or just two? Do they attach in the same locations as the adjustable hood stops? Is there a factory latch on the Tiger Racing hood or do you just use the pins?

Jza1736 said:
cloud9 said:
If it's just to save 14 lbs, I'd say get the glass one. On a 3600 lb car that's not much difference.
I was thinking the same thing (about the weight difference ), but then I also thought 14 here, 10 there, 25 over there, maybe 40 from removing the back seat. Adds up after awhile. What r ur thoughts about that?
Should I go carbon or fiberglass?
I wonder how heavy the stock hood is?

I was quoted $500-$600 to prep and paint by my dealer. I've had their body shop do a ton of work on my vehicles over the years and they do a great job. Post up when these start shipping. I'm almost there with the wife :D

5 DOT 0 said:
Jza1736 said:
cloud9 said:
If it's just to save 14 lbs, I'd say get the glass one. On a 3600 lb car that's not much difference.
I was thinking the same thing (about the weight difference ), but then I also thought 14 here, 10 there, 25 over there, maybe 40 from removing the back seat. Adds up after awhile. What r ur thoughts about that?
Should I go carbon or fiberglass?
I wonder how heavy the stock hood is?
Here's a good discussion about hood weight. Still don' have exact numbers, but I'm not sure how much weight savings there is to be had here....: http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2011-mustangs/375400-hood-weight-stock-vs-aftermarket.html

This thread says the S197 hood weighs 27.7 lbs but doesn't cite a source: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f637/hood-weight-447661/

That leaves cooling benefit. Those that install one, if you don't have an LS, please put in a temp gauge so we have some data ;D

cloud9 said:

Schwing!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the car I really wanted. ;D But I'm like you, couldn't justify a $79K track day only toy. I'll be keeping my eyes on RacingJunk.com in a few years.
2008 FR500S for $30K http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1077/NASA_American_Iron/post/2199043/2008-FR500S-MUSTANG-FACTORY-RACECAR-.html

I heard my hood is the first off the line. Probably since I paid for it in January. I am going with four recessed hood pins like the ones below but carbon fiber.

hoodpin.png
hoodpincloseup.png

TMO Supporting Vendors