The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302's top speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salt_2.jpg

Here's mine. The Solo DL said I had gone 156.8 mph at 7493 rpm in 5th gear. I was on the Bonneville Salt Flats, so nice and safe (at least for other people).

I agree with the ~175 mph estimation, just because we know about how fast a 302R can go with it's windows down. ;D

How fast can a Brembo 2012 GT (with correct final drive) go when unlimited? Isn't it easy to take the limiter off of those? I figure one of those with a CAI + tune should be close enough. Is the 302S limited? Having somebody test that would be another way.

Jimmy "I will guess 177.9 mph" Pribble

GA
fduboss302 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Flyboygsxr said:
I live in Germany and have had a chance many times both on the autobahn and the Nurburgring to hit the top speed limiter. I have been to 155 in both 5th and 6th gear. The speedo read 160 but the GPS said 155. It pulls all the way to 155 in 5th no problem and it's not really a problem in 6th either, it just takes longer to get there. I think 170 is a fair estimate at the Boss' top speed. If 6th wasn't an overdrive gear you might get a few more MPH out of the Boss. At top speed the hood shakes and lifts up pretty bad, I will say that. It's fun on the autobahn for the Germans in their M3's, M5's, Audi's, Mercedes, and Porsches to see a Boss in their rearview at 155 flashing their lights saying, "get out of the way". Or when traffic clears to pull away from them as you accelerate to 155. They all stare and have no idea what kind of a car they are looking at but they love it. The Boss is a superstar in Europe. Even a regular stang turns heads. I ran into some Brazilians at the Nurburgring and they said a Boss sold in Brazil for about $150,000. I'm not looking forward to bringing her back to the states, then I'll just be a regular Joe. The roads are so much better too, no rocks to chip your paint. I have one small ding from the track and I have done about 6 track days at the Ring.
Post of the week right there. 8)

THAT is blowing my mind.

I would rather pay for a little touch up paint than have to pay their gas prices and horsepower taxes. ;)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
PJWANNABE said:
fduboss302 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Flyboygsxr said:
I live in Germany and have had a chance many times both on the autobahn and the Nurburgring to hit the top speed limiter. I have been to 155 in both 5th and 6th gear. The speedo read 160 but the GPS said 155. It pulls all the way to 155 in 5th no problem and it's not really a problem in 6th either, it just takes longer to get there. I think 170 is a fair estimate at the Boss' top speed. If 6th wasn't an overdrive gear you might get a few more MPH out of the Boss. At top speed the hood shakes and lifts up pretty bad, I will say that. It's fun on the autobahn for the Germans in their M3's, M5's, Audi's, Mercedes, and Porsches to see a Boss in their rearview at 155 flashing their lights saying, "get out of the way". Or when traffic clears to pull away from them as you accelerate to 155. They all stare and have no idea what kind of a car they are looking at but they love it. The Boss is a superstar in Europe. Even a regular stang turns heads. I ran into some Brazilians at the Nurburgring and they said a Boss sold in Brazil for about $150,000. I'm not looking forward to bringing her back to the states, then I'll just be a regular Joe. The roads are so much better too, no rocks to chip your paint. I have one small ding from the track and I have done about 6 track days at the Ring.
Post of the week right there. 8)

THAT is blowing my mind.

I would rather pay for a little touch up paint than have to pay their gas prices and horsepower taxes. ;)

Well, since I'm in the military the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) exempts me from that stuff. We also have an agreement with ESSO gas stations so we only pay about $3.50 - $4.00 a gallon depending on the price of oil. We get hit hard on insurance though...you don't have a choice in Germany on your amount of coverage. I pay over $200 a month for insurance on the Boss, this is partly due to the size of the motor and the price of the car. I didn't have to pay any taxes though when I bought it and I got it below MSRP but I did pay to have it shipped overseas. So all said and done I think it equals out.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Interesting how the 3.73 gears top out at the limiter 155+/- at redline 7500. 21 mph/1000 rpm
My unlimited 2011 with 3.55 gears and stock height tires hit 150 at 6500 at the end of Long Pond Straight before I had to break for the tunnel turn. 23 mph/1000 rpm. My top speed at my 7400 rpm red line will be right at 170.2 mph if I get to the Salt Flats or maybe Daytona in December ;D. My car definitely has the power to keep pulling, for top speed I think the 3.55 gears are the best bet for stock 27 inch tall tires. I don't know how deep a gear you would need to make 6th gear keep the engine in the power and near 165 or so. I plan on going to 26" slicks or R compound tires which effectively lowers overall gearing. This will help on most road courses but will lower potential top speed. The acceleration off of the corners and keeping third gear higher in the power and should help lap times. Tailoring the gearing to the course is really getting down to it. I think I will look at getting a 9" Ford rear so gear swaps would be much easier :p every time I think the mods are over I think of new ways to spend money.
Steve

Here's a speed in gear chart for the stock tires

PirelliPZeroMax.jpg

Here's one for Nitto NT01 275R 40/18's

NittoNT01.jpg

Oh, no GPS but at Daytona on the banking exiting NASCAR turn four approching the tri-oval I hit 155ish

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel