The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302's top speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Given the factory tires and 7500 RPM limit in 6th gear you could get to 247 MPH. At 8500 that would be 280 MPH but it all depends on how every piece and part can handle the speed.

If you had the factory tires and rev limiter in 5th you would get to 160.68 top speed in fifth.

Given aerodynamic drag and other factors, I would doubt that you would see the dark side of 175 with an unrestricted but otherwise stock Boss. Car and Driver magazine had a hard time getting a modded ZL1 to 200 mph, and it's got more horsepower and is designed as a top-speed car.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I agree, somewhere in the 170's sounds logical. One thing I know for sure it can go more that 155 even with the stock PCM program. I hit just about 155 at Pocono Raceway (calculated speed, speedo said 161 but I am on 18" tires) and ran out of track, it was still going....

Once, I punched all the Boss data into one of those online gear/speed calculators. Factoring in gearing, weight, frontal area, drag, tires, etc. the app said the Boss had a theoretical top speed of 193 mph. No idea how long of a straight you'd need to see anything like that though.

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
Two car magazines (Car and Driver + one of the others I subscribe to, just not sure which off the top of my head) have tried running the 2013 GT500 to its claimed 200 mph top speed. Both fell short. They were in the high 190s... One of the tests was at an elevation well above sea level, and they felt the altitude may have been a factor in not reaching 200. I don't believe the much less powerful Boss 302 would come anywhere near the 200 mph mark, regardless of any difference in gearing between the 2 cars (is the gearing in the GT500 a bit taller?).

In any case, it's an interesting topic. At some point, I'm sure someone on this forum will run theirs up to the drag-limited top end and can give us a GPS verified speed (for that car on that day in those conditions). If only I still lived in Germany, I'd be happy to volunteer :)

With enough finesse and ($), the Boss can do 200+, just like these S197s ;)

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-mustangs-at-texas-mile-2011-5-0-and-super-snake-go-200-mph/

Referencing the stated drag coefficient and frontal area along hp/trq curves at varying RPM's.... I calculated approximately 181 mph. ;)

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-test-review-car-and-driver2012-ford-mustang-boss-302.pdf

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
So we can all agree on 170+. Nothing to be ashamed of. Ferraris didn't reach that 15 years ago. And going faster than that, seems to take a lot of engineering.

This is one thread I like it is simple I really do not think it will go over 165-170 just to get an idea of what it takes I just sold a 2006 hayabusa motorcycle with 250hp and another 100 hp nitrous and 203mph was not an easy thing to do at all as soon as you go over 160 everything seemed to get alot harder I mean alot no joke so look at the 2013 gt500 testing could not get it to 200mph on a super long run now on my bike it was all pretty short runs and that bike was so damn modified I had to sell it to chill myself out from the idea of meeting my maker ;D this is something I did not read about.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I hit 151 GPS verified going on the Long Pond straight at Pocono and 143 entering Turn 1. The 151 was 6600 rpm in 5th with 27 inch tires and 3.55 gears. Car had plenty to go, at 7200 it would be 165 at 7400= 170. That I expect would be the top end as 6th gear is too tall.
Since your real Boss cars are 3.73 geared and some folks are running 25.8" tall tires that number is lower. Verify speed with GPS as the stock speedos read 10 mph fast at 120.
Steve

I know this is a little off topic but thought I would share since it is a FORD. Pretty cool 600hp Rally car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus&feature=g-logo-xit

steveespo said:
I hit 151 GPS verified going on the Long Pond straight at Pocono and 143 entering Turn 1. The 151 was 6600 rpm in 5th with 27 inch tires and 3.55 gears. Car had plenty to go, at 7200 it would be 165 at 7400= 170. That I expect would be the top end as 6th gear is too tall.
Since your real Boss cars are 3.73 geared and some folks are running 25.8" tall tires that number is lower. Verify speed with GPS as the stock speedos read 10 mph fast at 120.
Steve
I hit 150 GPS verified at BIR in 5th gear around 7200-7300 rpm on a 26.3" tire last year.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Thanks Gary sounds about right. A shift to 6th would drop you out of the power and probably stop acceleration or even start to slow down. For top end I think either we have to gear taller to make 5th reach it, put a steep rear gear and make 6th a useable gear or raise the rev limit to 8000!!!!!! ;D
I have a feeling some of us may be buying used 302R motors in the future.
Steve

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I live in Germany and have had a chance many times both on the autobahn and the Nurburgring to hit the top speed limiter. I have been to 155 in both 5th and 6th gear. The speedo read 160 but the GPS said 155. It pulls all the way to 155 in 5th no problem and it's not really a problem in 6th either, it just takes longer to get there. I think 170 is a fair estimate at the Boss' top speed. If 6th wasn't an overdrive gear you might get a few more MPH out of the Boss. At top speed the hood shakes and lifts up pretty bad, I will say that. It's fun on the autobahn for the Germans in their M3's, M5's, Audi's, Mercedes, and Porsches to see a Boss in their rearview at 155 flashing their lights saying, "get out of the way". Or when traffic clears to pull away from them as you accelerate to 155. They all stare and have no idea what kind of a car they are looking at but they love it. The Boss is a superstar in Europe. Even a regular stang turns heads. I ran into some Brazilians at the Nurburgring and they said a Boss sold in Brazil for about $150,000. I'm not looking forward to bringing her back to the states, then I'll just be a regular Joe. The roads are so much better too, no rocks to chip your paint. I have one small ding from the track and I have done about 6 track days at the Ring.

Flyboygsxr said:
I live in Germany and have had a chance many times both on the autobahn and the Nurburgring to hit the top speed limiter. I have been to 155 in both 5th and 6th gear. The speedo read 160 but the GPS said 155. It pulls all the way to 155 in 5th no problem and it's not really a problem in 6th either, it just takes longer to get there. I think 170 is a fair estimate at the Boss' top speed. If 6th wasn't an overdrive gear you might get a few more MPH out of the Boss. At top speed the hood shakes and lifts up pretty bad, I will say that. It's fun on the autobahn for the Germans in their M3's, M5's, Audi's, Mercedes, and Porsches to see a Boss in their rearview at 155 flashing their lights saying, "get out of the way". Or when traffic clears to pull away from them as you accelerate to 155. They all stare and have no idea what kind of a car they are looking at but they love it. The Boss is a superstar in Europe. Even a regular stang turns heads. I ran into some Brazilians at the Nurburgring and they said a Boss sold in Brazil for about $150,000. I'm not looking forward to bringing her back to the states, then I'll just be a regular Joe. The roads are so much better too, no rocks to chip your paint. I have one small ding from the track and I have done about 6 track days at the Ring.
Post of the week right there. 8)

5 DOT 0 said:
Flyboygsxr said:
Post of the week right there. 8)

THAT is blowing my mind.

TMO Supporting Vendors