The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302S Wheel Sizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuntman said:
908ssp said:
Not at all strange. The 302s doesn't come from the factory with slicks even if it is a race car. And 18s have no inherent advantage except for price and the 302s is not cheap. When you buy your race wheels you can buy any size you see fit. I don't see the DTMM cars running 18s or the FIA GT1 cars running 18s they run what they are allowed to run and in those cases they are often bigger than 18s. The reason 18s are so often talked about on the boards is these boards are populated with normal people on budgets and not many of them are winning races.
I'm pretty sure both DTM and FIA GT cars use 18" wheels. ALMS GT cars use 18" wheels while in Japan the Super GT (JGTC) GT500 cars use a 18" front 17" rear wheel.

Most sanctioning bodies have a class or car-specific mandates for wheel and tire sizes. Ferrari Challenge uses 19" wheels due to the extremely large brakes, but mandate spec wheels and tires. I'd guess that since WC uses Toyo tires, they make 19" R-compound tires and the 302S was proposed to the series with that wheel/tire package.

18" wheels have the most wide variety of racing slick options out there. I'd hardly say that 18" wheels are popular due to people on 'budgets'.

I wouldn't and don't believe I said that was the only reason but if you read any other board you will see people in just about every thread mention they are sticking with 18" because they are cheaper. Cheaper is budget in my book. Now that's fine everybody has their reason but if 20" cost the same as 18" you would see more of them than you do now.

Hello. I just registered at this site so I'm new. I'm not that familiar with all the tech details regarding this subject. Mustangs have always been a favorite of mind so I ordered a 2012 GT (automatic) about 5 weeks ago. In Canada the only wheel option I had was to upgrade to the 19" Premium Luster Nickel-Painted Aluminum. I was thinking of replacing them with the BOSS 302s wheels and after reading different info on the net I've got questions. Would I have to replace my breaks with the 14" Brake Upgrade Kit? Would I have to use the 19.9" for all 4 wheels or only 2 19.9" in front and the rear 2 with 19.10"? I've read that I'd need to go with 255/40 tires for the 19.9" but I can't find what size tires go with the 19.10" wheels?

I'd really appreciate some info
Thanks
Shawn

Pwr Pony said:
Hello. I just registered at this site so I'm new. I'm not that familiar with all the tech details regarding this subject. Mustangs have always been a favorite of mind so I ordered a 2012 GT (automatic) about 5 weeks ago. In Canada the only wheel option I had was to upgrade to the 19" Premium Luster Nickel-Painted Aluminum. I was thinking of replacing them with the BOSS 302s wheels and after reading different info on the net I've got questions. Would I have to replace my breaks with the 14" Brake Upgrade Kit? Would I have to use the 19.9" for all 4 wheels or only 2 19.9" in front and the rear 2 with 19.10"? I've read that I'd need to go with 255/40 tires for the 19.9" but I can't find what size tires go with the 19.10" wheels?

Thanks
Shawn
Hi Shawn, welcome to BMO. The 302S wheels fit over the 14" Brembo brakes and the smaller ones. You do not need to upgrade the brakes to run the 302S wheels. You can run 4-19x9 wheels with 255/40/19 tires or 2-19x9 and 2-19x10 wheels with 255/40/19 and 285/35/19 tires.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M1007DC199LGB/2005-12-Mustang-Ford-Racing-19X9-Boss-Front-Black-Wheel

5 DOT 0 said:
Pwr Pony said:

Thanks
Shawn
Hi Shawn, welcome to BMO. The 302S wheels fit over the 14" Brembo brakes and the smaller ones. You do not need to upgrade the brakes to run the 302S wheels. You can run 4-19x9 wheels with 255/40/19 tires or 2-19x9 and 2-19x10 wheels with 255/40/19 and 285/35/19 tires.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M1007DC199LGB/2005-12-Mustang-Ford-Racing-19X9-Boss-Front-Black-Wheel

Thanks for the help. That clears up a lot. Next will be trying to pick the right tires.

Again, thanks
Shawn

Pwr Pony said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Pwr Pony said:

Thanks
Shawn

Thanks for the help. That clears up a lot. Next will be trying to pick the right tires.

Again, thanks
Shawn

Hello. I just picked up my 2012 GT this afternoon and I found out it was shipped from the factory without the 19" wheels. The computer form and the printout that the salesperson had shows that the 19" wheels were listed on the order. Somewhere, something went wrong. I'm hoping it wasn't because they pulled some strings to get it in sooner than the beginning of July.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if the 19x9 BOSS 302s wheels will fit now because the 19" wheel package included a strut tower brace and P245/45R19 tires. The salesperson went in to ask their mechanic if he could order and install a strut tower brace but he had left for the day and won't be in until Monday. If anybody has any knowlege any suggestions about this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Shawn

Pwr Pony said:
Hello. I just picked up my 2012 GT this afternoon and I found out it was shipped from the factory without the 19" wheels. The computer form and the printout that the salesperson had shows that the 19" wheels were listed on the order. Somewhere, something went wrong. I'm hoping it wasn't because they pulled some strings to get it in sooner than the beginning of July.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if the 19x9 BOSS 302s wheels will fit now because the 19" wheel package included a strut tower brace and P245/45R19 tires. The salesperson went in to ask their mechanic if he could order and install a strut tower brace but he had left for the day and won't be in until Monday. If anybody has any knowlege any suggestions about this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Shawn
Bummer. It doesn't matter what size wheels came on your car the 19x9's will still fit. But you'll obviously need new tires.

Thanks. I was getting a little worried that I'd have to rely on the dealership's mechanics to solve the issue. I think I'm gonna order the BOSS 302s with the Nitto Nt555s package to use during the summer and keep the 18" wheels that are on there now for winter driving. It'll save me $1200 to not have to order the 19"ers.

Thanks again
Shawn

TMO Supporting Vendors