The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302S Wheel Sizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like the Boss 302S runs the same size tire/wheel combo as the LS. Anyone know why it comes with 19" wheels and not 18" wheels like the 302R? I've never raced a car but from what I've read the 18" wheels are the hot ticket for the track. Why didn't the 302S come with 18" wheels?

Also Ford states the LS wheels, the same as the 302S wheels in a differrent color, are lightweight. From their pricing of less than $300 each I don't think they are forged and I wonder how light they really are. Are the 302S/LS wheels much lighter than the Boss wheels?

Link to 302S wheels on FRPP site:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12612

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
No idea, unless they specify a 19" race tire as mandatory in World Challenge.

I'd imagine a lot of buyers ditch those wheels and/or use them for rain tires. Most teams will have 3-4 sets of wheels w/ tires mounted on-hand anyhow.

Not at all strange. The 302s doesn't come from the factory with slicks even if it is a race car. And 18s have no inherent advantage except for price and the 302s is not cheap. When you buy your race wheels you can buy any size you see fit. I don't see the DTMM cars running 18s or the FIA GT1 cars running 18s they run what they are allowed to run and in those cases they are often bigger than 18s. The reason 18s are so often talked about on the boards is these boards are populated with normal people on budgets and not many of them are winning races.

908ssp said:
And 18s have no inherent advantage except for price and the 302s is not cheap. When you buy your race wheels you can buy any size you see fit. I don't see the DTMM cars running 18s or the FIA GT1 cars running 18s they run what they are allowed to run and in those cases they are often bigger than 18s. The reason 18s are so often talked about on the boards is these boards are populated with normal people on budgets and not many of them are winning races.

That's not entirely true. Weight (unsprung) is probably the most preferred reason for running smaller wheels. Also, both 17 and 18's have the largest variety of tire widths cattering to a huge base of car makes and models. There are, of course, legitimate reasons for using 19's or 20's which may include shorter sidewall (less deflection) for increased steering response, more tire/lower temp/less changing, and clearing 6-pot calipers. Saying that many are not winning races because they are on a smaller wheel/tire is ridicuious.

Dave

908ssp said:
Not at all strange. The 302s doesn't come from the factory with slicks even if it is a race car. And 18s have no inherent advantage except for price and the 302s is not cheap. When you buy your race wheels you can buy any size you see fit. I don't see the DTMM cars running 18s or the FIA GT1 cars running 18s they run what they are allowed to run and in those cases they are often bigger than 18s. The reason 18s are so often talked about on the boards is these boards are populated with normal people on budgets and not many of them are winning races.
I don't know the reasons so that's why I'm asking. What you say makes sense but why would Ford use the BBS 18's on the R and the LS 19's on the S? Both are advertised as race ready cars. My strange comment is relative to the two cars.

5 DOT 0 said:
Both are advertised as race ready cars.
That’s simply ridiculous. The BOSS 302R is a full blown race car. But still a very production based race car.

The BOSS LS on the other hand is at the most a mildly track prepped car that is best suited to light track day use. And most drivers with minimal experience and/or training could easily drive it into the ground.

The LS is a very nice car and leans toward more aggressive use. But a “race car” it is nothing like. It’s no more a race car than a Z06 is.

RoadRacer78 said:
That’s simply ridiculous. The BOSS 302R is a full blown race car. But still a very production based race car.

The BOSS LS on the other hand is at the most a mildly track prepped car that is best suited to light track day use. And most drivers with minimal experience and/or training could easily drive it into the ground.

The LS is a very nice car and leans toward more aggressive use. But a “race car” it is nothing like. It’s no more a race car than a Z06 is.
I don't get your point. What's "simply ridiculous"? The 302R/S are being sold as race cars. They are not street legal and are being raced...

5 DOT 0 said:
RoadRacer78 said:

I don't get your point. What's "simply ridiculous"? The 302R/S are being sold as race cars. They are not street legal and are being raced...

If I understand your question, you are wondering why the 302S runs a 19" wheel and the 302R runs an 18" wheel. The above response I think assumes you were talking about the 302 Laguna Seca (LS) and not the 302S track only car.

5 DOT 0 said:

Correct, the 302R is a full blown race car. I did not mention the S.

I was stating that the LS is not a race car. I misread your post and thought you were claiming the LS was a race car. My mistake. :p

RoadRacer78 said:
5 DOT 0 said:

The parts list differences between the cars is actually quite short given their very different purposes. As you say, the 302R is a very production based race car.

How about a thread discussing what your Boss will need if you hope to not "drive it into the ground"? Given the price difference between the Boss and LS which will you be ordering?

GA
Mark said:
RoadRacer78 said:
5 DOT 0 said:

$203.50 ea plus $20-15 ea for shipping @ Tousley Ford:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/tousley-ford-full-line-ford-lincoln-mercury-ford-racing-distributors-320/749426-boss-laguna-seca-wheels.html

908ssp said:
I'm pretty sure both DTM and FIA GT cars use 18" wheels. ALMS GT cars use 18" wheels while in Japan the Super GT (JGTC) GT500 cars use a 18" front 17" rear wheel.

Most sanctioning bodies have a class or car-specific mandates for wheel and tire sizes. Ferrari Challenge uses 19" wheels due to the extremely large brakes, but mandate spec wheels and tires. I'd guess that since WC uses Toyo tires, they make 19" R-compound tires and the 302S was proposed to the series with that wheel/tire package.

18" wheels have the most wide variety of racing slick options out there. I'd hardly say that 18" wheels are popular due to people on 'budgets'.

Mark said:
How about a thread discussing what your Boss will need if you hope to not "drive it into the ground"? Given the price difference between the Boss and LS which will you be ordering?

Huh? ???

RoadRacer78 said:
Mark said:

Huh? ???

thought you may want to contribute rather than just to point out the obvious about the Boss not being a race car...was also curious about the car you will put in your garage.

Mark said:
thought you may want to contribute rather than just to point out the obvious about the Boss not being a race car...
Fair enough.
Mark said:
was also curious about the car you will put in your garage.
Well I currently have a 2007 GT with a OEM GT500 front end that makes 700rwhp on pump, a touch over 800rwhp on race fuel, pulls in the 1.05g range in the corners and goes 200mph. It’s also 100% daily driver. There is not one thing that has been eliminated on the car (A/C, Cruise, stereo, etc) and can still pull down 22mpg on the freeway and is impossible to overheat.

I also have a all stock 2010 GT Premium Vert

In the spring I will be picking up a 2011-2012 5.0 Coupe for a beater.

I doubt I will be adding a BOSS to the stable though. I’m currently putting together a S197 Rally Car. I am following the BOSS program and all of their parts/technology/options/etc with an eye toward applying what I can use toward my 2007 or the Rally Car.

I would love to buy a LS, but with the 2007 in the shop there isn’t much point. For the most part they serve the same purpose. And I have no desire to get on the roadrace track with a car. It is tough to justify buying a car for the track and spending the money to campaign it when I already have a couple of motorcycles that have a power/weight ratio of 1.85lb/hp and will lap most tracks 10-20sec/lap faster than a FR500C. That being said, if I could afford a car that could put laps that fast in without constantly needing maintenance I would be happy to sell all the bikes. I’ve been doing it for way too long now.

Now if I could pick up a LS and drop the drivetrain from my 2007 in it that would be appealing though. ;D

GA
RoadRacer78 said:
Now if I could pick up a LS and drop the drivetrain from my 2007 in it that would be appealing though. ;D

I have similar thoughts about my 2008 Bullitt- I wish I could drop the drive train of the Boss in that. They styling of the 2010+ does not appeal to me as much as the Bullitt. I guess I could always repaint the Boss highland green... ;)

I was looking at the hero card of the 2008 FR500S and the Bullitt shares a lot of the DNA.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
PJWANNABE said:
RoadRacer78 said:

I have similar thoughts about my 2008 Bullitt- I wish I could drop the drive train of the Boss in that. They styling of the 2010+ does not appeal to me as much as the Bullitt. I guess I could always repaint the Boss highland green... ;)

I was looking at the hero card of the 2008 FR500S and the Bullitt shares a lot of the DNA.

You should be able to buy a BOSS crate engine from Ford Racing later this year for the tidy sum of about $12K. Not sure if they're selling to the general public or only competition spares for Grand-Am.

TMO Supporting Vendors