The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302vs Pp1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Jose, CA
Hey everyone, been looking at the used mustang market recently seems to be low miles boss 302 goes for the same price as a used 2018+ pp1 mustang. What car is the better car for a fast street/track car? Whichever car I get I probably won’t do any crazy mods for the next few years. Will a boss 302 beat a pp1 in a straight line/roll race?. Will it beat a pp1 in road course? Is. Worth paying 30k for a 7 year old car? This will all help me pick the right car for me. Thank you guys!

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I can't compare the two because I've never owned an S550 . My 13 Boss 302 is relatively stock and I can attest to all the road tests, video's and positive ratings that you have read about the Boss 302. This car has not disappointed. I guarantee that you will smile every time you open the hood, every time you fire it up and every time you punch it in 2,3 and 4th gear. It also handles great. IMHO it's to special to mod into a dedicated track toy. In a perfect world I would keep my Boss close to stock and build another dedicated mustang track weapon !! I think the Boss 302 will hold reasonable value as the years go by.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
If you are going to run it on the track and plan on doing mods and being quick I would go with the S550, if you want a fun car that will hold some value by the Boss. You can do a lot of mods to the Boss and still return it to stock. The S550 suspension is, IMO, a better suspension than the S197 cars. The '18 and newer have as much or slightly more power than the Boss. How ever unless your buying a GT350 they don't have the same cache. I like the side exhaust with the baffles removed, I'm fine with the solid rear axle that skips a bit over the bumps as I slide around the autocross course. I might add a car or two but the Boss isn't going anywhere.

I had a similar dilemma about a year ago, PP1 is probably a better track car. Suspension and brakes have higher ceilings if the driver is good enough. Straight line the Boss probably wins until you do a few things to the IRS on the S550.

Ultimately I decided all that was irrelevant to me, I loved the Boss and the fact it would retain value better. Also once getting it to the track i found the driver was the limiting factor so all the new fancy stuff probably wouldn't have helped anyways lol.

Pick the one you want, can't go wrong. Like I said though unless your an experienced track driver the guy behind the wheel will be the slowest thing on either car.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Boss would win in a straight line, but on a road course I think the PP1 can prevail. That rear suspension works really well, I've never driven a car on track that I felt more secure with the rear grip. Did a lot of laps in a Players Camaro back in the day, another solid rear axle car, and I got awful used to catching unexpected rear end slides. That never happens with my PP1. It just does not get loose, it's always mild understeer that's the limiter and understeer is safer and easier to drive around than oversteer.

TMO Supporting Vendors