The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS 429 Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From Jay Len's Garage. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/pNYfrsYZf4s

I'm not a fan of restored cars, back when I had my 2 door 56 chevy wagon (331, off road Z28 cams, fuelie heads, 2-AFB 4bbl carbs, Muncie, 12 bolt and 5.13 gears) all the hot rodders used to swap parts for almost nothing, once the restorers got into it they drove the prices to the moon. I got so bad with the camaros and mustangs that Dynacorn started making the bodies because everyone was ripping everybody else off.
My buddy Dom Forte has several Shelbys but the best one is actually a faux shelby (it's even on the license plate). Back in the day a guy wrapped a 69 gt350 around a light pole and he bought the car, had a cherry 69 body so he put the gt350 parts on it...but he used a 351 cleveland engine, a Doug Nash 5 speed and different shocks, springs and sway bars, including disc brakes. The interior has a tilt/telly steering wheel. the car is beautiful and is a far better car than the real 69 shelby gt350...so except for resale, or to say you owned one, why on earth would you go back to a marginal crappy handling car on little f70x14 bias ply tires, it makes no sense.
I've done a bunch of resto mods, they are much better than the original cars.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Depends what you got. Give me a run of the mill '69 fastback and I'd be tempted to build something unique. Give me a '69 boss and I'd restore it. No shame in buying a shell from Dynacorn and building a '69 Boss replica either.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
There's nothing close to the sound of a Big Cam Big Block. Gosh that B9 sounded good. But we have to remember, an all original B9 would have fell on its face during a WOT start. Get her above 4-5k and she'll scream all day long.

Nice vid and thanks for posting.
302 Hi Pro

302BOB said:
Quote of the day...Bunkie says "Make it fit"......I'm still amazed a black '69 Boss 429 went for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson a little while ago.

As an example of how the muscle car market has flattened out, a '69 Boss 429 went for over $600K in 2007.

I had a friend in high school who had a black '69 Boss 429. It was in awesome shape, but it had a newer 429 in it without the shotgun heads. He paid $3500 for it! It had the KK NASCAR sticker and special plate on the door, it was real.

If only we knew.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Yes, if only we knew! After the gas crunch in 73 we might have been able to pick up B9's for a G or two.

The 429 CJ was a new 385 series engine for Ford in late 1969 for 1970 production Mustangs. It replaced the 428 FE series CJ engine first offered April 1, 1968, in the prior years Mustangs, (late 68 and 69 MY's). The 429 385 series engine was a much different engine than the 429 NASCAR (Shotgun) engine found in the original B9's.

Ford also offered a Super Cobra Jet option in both series engines, (428 and 429 CID). These engines offered beefed up internals parts as well as external oil coolers, ram air options etc.

Those were the Big Block days for Ford Performance. "Total Performance".

Yes, if we only knew then, good point!
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
VoodooBOSS said:
A good friend of mine bought a 1969 428 SCJ for a whopping $18K back in 1989. I thought he was nuts paying that kind of money but he purchased it from the original owner and has all the original paperwork. It's worth at least triple that now. Probably still not a good investment but at least it has appreciated.

ManlysMach1.jpg

Recently, some number 1 examples of these cars have fetched 125-150k. But in general Super CJ's bring 75-105K, so your buddy is doing very well with his 18K investment. Who knew back in the day?

Have fun out there,
302 Hi Pro

VoodooBOSS said:
A good friend of mine bought a 1969 428 SCJ for a whopping $18K back in 1989. I thought he was nuts paying that kind of money but he purchased it from the original owner and has all the original paperwork. It's worth at least triple that now. Probably still not a good investment but at least it has appreciated.

ManlysMach1.jpg
O-My.....That sex on wheels!
That's one good looking red head.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel