The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss alternator output and higher output alternators?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I do not find the specification of the Boss factory alternator (for 2013 Boss 302). What is the amperage output (min and max)? I believe that I need a higher output alternator. I am supercharged and I have four new fans (heat exchanger and oil coolers), the GT500 radiator fan swap and some other equipment drawing electricity (GT500 HE water pump, gauges, detectors with GPS) and at one point last week when I was idling in 90F heat and my AC was on (radio was off but headlights on) I received a "Check charging system ..." message. The center console showed 11 V output. I turned off AC and drove the car an hour later and no problem. Left the AC off and drove the car next day 300 miles and no problem and center console showed 13.7-14.0 output.

I will test the alternator but what amp does the factory alternator output and if I want to replace it with higher amp alternator what can I use (considering that the Boss alternator is supposed to be a higher RPM alternator). I looked at the PA Performance HO alternator catalog but they do not show anything for the latest mustangs. I see HO alternators at various sites but they are for earlier mustang versions. Thank you for the advice.

I am wondering if the alternator from a P71 could work...if the 4.6 alternators are the same as the coyote then it's worth a try. If the alternator for the Boss is actually different from the coyote I bet the pully is slightly larger to compensate for the extra rpms. Doesn't make sense to get more complicated than that.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think the only reason that the Boss alternator is considered high RPM friendly is for the one way clutch. I did not see anything about it being 'high output'.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
You could look at changing the alternator pulley size to speed up the alternator. If I recall correctly, the boss has a larger alt pulley due to higher RPMs.

Grant 302 said:
I think the only reason that the Boss alternator is considered high RPM friendly is for the one way clutch. I did not see anything about it being 'high output'.

Thank you all for the response. Ok, so if I keep the RPM closer to 6,500 then any alternator that fits the regular coyote would work? Being supercharged I am not going above 7,000 anyway. The rev limit is also down to 7,300. However, I did not see anything on the aftermarket offered for 2011+ mustang, at all. Also, does anybody know the exact capacity of the Boss alternator? What is the amps at idle and what is the amps at maximum? I do not see this info even on the Ford Racing web site where they sell the Boss replacement alternator kits. I would think this is kind of crucial info for an alternator.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
NWBoss said:
Thank you all for the response. Ok, so if I keep the RPM closer to 6,500 then any alternator that fits the regular coyote would work? Being supercharged I am not going above 7,000 anyway. The rev limit is also down to 7,300. However, I did not see anything on the aftermarket offered for 2011+ mustang, at all. Also, does anybody know the exact capacity of the Boss alternator? What is the amps at idle and what is the amps at maximum? I do not see this info even on the Ford Racing web site where they sell the Boss replacement alternator kits. I would think this is kind of crucial info for an alternator.

Here is a link to a shop manual which shows the specs for all Mustangs.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1000&viewfile=SPECIFICATIONS.pdf

WinterSucks said:
I am wondering if the alternator from a P71 could work...if the 4.6 alternators are the same as the coyote then it's worth a try. If the alternator for the Boss is actually different from the coyote I bet the pully is slightly larger to compensate for the extra rpms. Doesn't make sense to get more complicated than that.

By P71 do you mean the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor?
By 4.6 alternator do you mean something like this?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PA-21586A1HO/99-04-Mustang-46l-gt200-Amp-Alternator
It looks completely different than the Ford Racing Boss kit:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-boss-alt-1112.html
Connection screws are in completely different position.

TMSBOSS said:
Here is a link to a shop manual which shows the specs for all Mustangs.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1000&viewfile=SPECIFICATIONS.pdf

Thanks! So, the Boss' is just another 96-156 alternator with a one-way clutch? Also, anything that is advertised as a higher output alternator that fits 5.0 would work because the only 5.0 that I find is for the 94-95 models like this:
http://www.powerbastards.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7771-220

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Unless Ford comes up with a need for it, like on a special edition, then it's likely you'd have to wait a while for the aftermarket to kick in. For new platforms, I think it takes a bit for the aftermarket to start first with stock replacement parts followed by performance/upgrade replacements.

Grant 302 said:
Unless Ford comes up with a need for it, like on a special edition, then it's likely you'd have to wait a while for the aftermarket to kick in. For new platforms, I think it takes a bit for the aftermarket to start first with stock replacement parts followed by performance/upgrade replacements.

Ok I will tell my extra fans and electronics to wait. :)
Well, I guess than it is just no-AC, not at idling at least.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel