The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss and LS Front Splitters on the Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone else noticed the 302R's in the Grand Am series aren't running front splitters or the LS rear spoiler? Maybe this is dependent on the class specs but if it's not I sure hope some Ford Racing guys stop by and explain why they aren't using them especially the LS front splitter. Below is a link to an article where you can see photos of the cars from testing before this past weeks race.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/01/14/photo-gallery-mustangs-at-the-grand-am-daytona-test-session/

5 DOT 0 said:
Anyone else noticed the 302R's in the Grand Am series aren't running front splitters or the LS rear spoiler? Maybe this is dependent on the class specs but if it's not I sure hope some Ford Racing guys stop by and explain why they aren't using them especially the LS front splitter. Below is a link to an article where you can see photos of the cars from testing before this past weeks race.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/01/14/photo-gallery-mustangs-at-the-grand-am-daytona-test-session/
I asked a similar question on another forum. My question is driven by the Track Preparation Notes in the Supplemental Boss Owner's guide that lists the front splitter as one of the items to do before tracking the car. I saw this as a nice to have someday, not an immediate mod I planned before the first track events.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
No car from any manufacturer in Grand-Am GS class runs any sort of agressive aero aids. I believe it is part of the regulations. Teams had to lobby for the modest spoiler for the FR500C and BOSSR1s.

I did see some 302Rs running the street BOSS (non-LS) splitters before.

The 302Rs have never run the LS rear spoiler.

I wonder if making the splitter and wing production parts gives any leverage in getting approved for use in the series. They have to be there for some reason. The FR500s have a decent wing on them that is not a factory piece...I would imagine we will see the 302R with at least the LS spoiler at some point (probably the wing we have heard they are lobbying for).

5 DOT 0 said:

Yes, the Grand-Am rules do not allow splitters of any kind (aftermarket, factory, or OEM-options) in the Continental Tire Gran sport and Street Tuner classes. It is also a Grand-Am rule for the Mustangs to be able to use the STEEDA wing which has been optional to use since ~2004 while the BMW M3s are allowed the mid-90's E36 M3 factory wing which was retrofitted to the E46 M3 and now the E92 M3. Porsches are also allowed to use the factory 996 GT3 wing.

The splitter would add front downforce and greatly improve front grip to the Mustang and would be a must for lowering lap times on the track. The LS rear spoiler will also add rear downforce and grip. Both of which were intended on the LS edition BOSS 302 and are key components for the car's impressive lap times. I think both of which look good and fit the styling of the BOSS and they are functional.

stuntman said:
The splitter would add front downforce and greatly improve front grip to the Mustang and would be a must for lowering lap times on the track. The LS rear spoiler will also add rear downforce and grip. Both of which were intended on the LS edition BOSS 302 and are key components for the car's impressive lap times. I think both of which look good and fit the styling of the BOSS and they are functional.

Thanks, that's more than 0.02! Any idea how much more downforce the LS rear spoiler adds over the Boss or GT500 rear spoiler?

Welcome to Boss Mustangs Online.

a couple things.

* Grand Am rules mandate that the cars look like they do. Aero is allowed on occasion. The FR500C was allowed to use the Steeda Street wing after a couple seasons.

* The LS splitter and wing are not part of the race package.

* The Boss 302r/S splitter and wing was developed by Tiger Racing/Paul Brown. It can be bought thru FRPP or Tiger Racing.

* Mark Wilson of Ford Racing has said that the complete LS package is worth about 3 seconds on a given race track over the base model Boss.

Just as a correction Tiger Racing did not develop the front splitter on the boss 302S. The splitter was originally developed on the FR500S and then modified slightly for use on the 2010+ bodystyle. There is no splitter on the Boss 302R. The Boss 302S does use a G-Stream rear wing.

Grand Am also doesn't allow any add on front end aero device on any manufacturers vehicles.

The entire LS package reduces the lap times by approx 3 seconds, not just the front splitter/rear wing combination. That information originated from one of the press releases.

Thanks. Can you please tell us which classes the 302R and 302S were designed to run in? Looks like the 302R is for Grand-Am Grand Sport and Street Tuner classes but what's the 302S supposed to run in with the large splitter and wing? Is there a specific racing series/class it was designed for?

On a side note how close are the internals of the Boss 302 engines compared to the 302R and 302S?

mwilson7 said:
Just as a correction Tiger Racing did not develop the front splitter on the boss 302S. The splitter was originally developed on the FR500S and then modified slightly for use on the 2010+ bodystyle. There is no splitter on the Boss 302R. The Boss 302S does use a G-Stream rear wing.

Grand Am also doesn't allow any add on front end aero device on any manufacturers vehicles.

The entire LS package reduces the lap times by approx 3 seconds, not just the front splitter/rear wing combination. That information originated from one of the press releases.

Isnt that what I said?

5 DOT 0 said:
Thanks. Can you please tell us which classes the 302R and 302S were designed to run in? Looks like the 302R is for Grand-Am Grand Sport and Street Tuner classes but what's the 302S supposed to run in with the large splitter and wing? Is there a specific racing series/class it was designed for?

On a side note how close are the internals of the Boss 302 engines compared to the 302R and 302S?

Boss 302r is for Grand AM GS
Boss 302s is for World Challenge class GTS

The engine is the same engine as to be used in the street cars. I believe the calibration of the street car track key is the calibration setting for the race cars.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
TXPD said:
Boss 302r is for Grand AM GS

The engine is the same engine as to be used in the street cars. I believe the calibration of the street car track key is the calibration setting for the race cars.

That's correct.

TXPD said:

Here we go. Are the WC races televised? They don't show any info on the website. Maybe I'll have to catch the race at Infineon.

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/story.php?story=1934

http://www.world-challenge.com/event/season.php?y=2011

mwilson7 said:
That is DEFINITELY NOT correct.
I'm guessing the 302R&S don't have any smog equipment and have different exhaust so it would make sense they are not the same. Similar maybe or a derivative of the race tune? There's been little info on TracKey other than the lopy idle and fatter torque curve. It also doesn't appear to raise the rev limiter. Hopefully it removes the top speed governor and skip shift. A small bump in HP would also be nice. ;)

Don't forget that both WC and GA use 98 octane Sunoco fuel in addition to the elimination of the emissions system.

TMO Supporting Vendors