The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss and LS Suspension Specs and Settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now we know that the shocks are Tokico and the spring rates. Are the shocks the D-Specs? We knew the rear springs on the LS were stiffer but notice the fronts are softer.

From page 20 of the recently released Mustang Owners Guide - Boss Supplement:

SUSPENSION
• MacPherson strut with L-arm front suspension
• 8.8 inch solid rear axle with limited slip differential (3.73:1 ratio)
Boss 302:
• 34.6 x 4.4 mm tubular front stabilizer bar
• 25.0 mm solid rear stabilizer bar
• Tokico twin tube adjustable shocks and struts
• 26.0 N/mm front and 32.4 N/mm rear coil springs
Boss 302 with Laguna Seca package:
• 34.6 x 4.4 mm tubular front stabilizer bar
• 26.0 mm solid rear stabilizer bar
• Tokico twin tube adjustable shocks and struts
• 24.0 N/mm front and 33.5 N/mm rear coil springs
ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION DAMPERS
Your vehicle has adjustable
suspension dampers. The
adjustment controls are located on
top of the damping rods and can be
adjusted with a small screwdriver.
Remove the cap to access the
control for the front strut.
To access the rear shock, pull the
carpet back in the trunk area. Then,
lift the trim panel and pull rearward
to expose the adjustable suspension
damper.
Position (1) has the lowest damping
force which provides for a more
comfortable ride. Position (5) has
the highest damping force which
provides more responsive handling.
Position (2) is the factory setting
(shown in graphic).
Left and right dampers should always be set to the same dial position.
Front and rear can be adjusted independently to change vehicle response.

GA
I checked out the Tokico web site and I think they are using the Illumina shocks. The screwdriver adjustment looks like the one they showed on the Speed TV Boss special.

http://www.tokicoperformanceshocks.com/illumina_details.aspx

GA
If I don't end up getting a Boss I am going to get a set of D-Specs and the Steeda Ultimate Swaybar kit for my Bullitt. I don't plan on lowering the car since it is my DD and I could do without worrying about scraping curbs all of the time.

PJWANNABE said:
If I don't end up getting a Boss I am going to get a set of D-Specs and the Steeda Ultimate Swaybar kit for my Bullitt. I don't plan on lowering the car since it is my DD and I could do without worrying about scraping curbs all of the time.
I've read the Koni adjustables "Yellow" are the hot ticket. More $$ than the Tokico's though.

5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
I've read the Koni adjustables "Yellow" are the hot ticket. More $$ than the Tokico's though.
I swapped my Tokico D-Specs for the Konis on my GT500 if that tells you anything. Oh well, I guess Ford likes the Tokicos. I just hope this thing isn't rolling like a boat on high seas in the corners. I'm more concerned about the springs. The shocks will probably be fine. My guess is the springs will be on the soft side if anything.

5 DOT 0 said:
Are the shocks on the Boss the D-Specs?
The adjustment on the Boss shocks is different than the D-specs I had, so probably not? The D-Specs I had just had a continous adjustment. One full rotation for each setting 1-6. The Boss shocks have markers 1-5 and the adjustments look like they require moving it just a small turn.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:

Koni Yellows are better but more expensive, and there was a quality problem with one of their suppliers last year that made them scarce. I do not know if that has changed.

GA
PJWANNABE said:
I checked out the Tokico web site and I think they are using the Illumina shocks. The screwdriver adjustment looks like the one they showed on the Speed TV Boss special.

http://www.tokicoperformanceshocks.com/illumina_details.aspx

If you check out this link the adjustment looks exactly like the one in the owner's supplement.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
PJWANNABE said:
Koni Yellows are better but more expensive, and there was a quality problem with one of their suppliers last year that made them scarce. I do not know if that has changed.

I run yellows on my car now and am very happy with them. If I were in the market for an aftermarket, single-adjustable shock, I'd buy em again. Tokico's "warranty" department (or lack thereof?) has created some serious concerns that buyers would be left high & dry if one of the D-Specs broke.

I don't anticipate there being any issue getting replacment BOSS dampers via Ford, however.

The shocks/struts will not be the same as those you can currently purchase even if looks say otherwise.

I don't think they have those spring rate right. They have the rears heavier than the fronts which is the opposite of every other Mustang and they have a 25mm rear bar which would make that car over steer like there is no tomorrow.

908ssp said:
I don't think they have those spring rate right. They have the rears heavier than the fronts which is the opposite of every other Mustang and they have a 25mm rear bar which would make that car over steer like there is no tomorrow.

Remember that there has never been a mustang tuned for 10 inches of rear R compound before. There was also a mention in one of the mags of this setup as well.

Edit...here it is:

"Suspension changes to match the tires and vehicle mission include softer front and firmer rear springs, a bigger rear anti-roll bar, and damper settings that are virtually all firmer than the mainstream Boss (setting 1 or 2 roughly equals setting 5 on the base Boss)."

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1008_2012_ford_mustang_boss_302/laguna_seca.html

Tuning the car around the Cor$a$ is going to make the LS a bad mf'er

If you told me they put the transmission in the back you might have point but the weight distribution hasn't changed.

Don't believe everything you see in print remember for over a year the Brembo option came with two piston rear brakes.

I wasn't referring to weight but rather how well it will do it's job.

The LS will have little to no body roll, a torsen diff and 285/35/19 corsas. I do not think rear grip will be an issue although I do think it will be tuned right to the edge. Why else would they have put that giant splitter on the front and then softer front springs? This tells me they are looking for grip in the front and not the rear.

By the way...great discussion!

Next time I am at Rehagen's I'll try to remember to ask them. They had a 302s when I was there a couple weeks ago and they had the stock suspension off and coil overs on it already. But my gut tells me Ford posted that to the manual backwards.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel