The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS as DD... In Ohio...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and have some questions about the '12/13 BOSS 302. I've wanted one of the new 302's since I first saw one, unfortunately, I live in northern Ohio :'(. This would be my DD car, I do not have the option of getting a beater. I know that I could handle the car, on snow tires and with weight in the trunk, but the issue is salt. My commute is about 3 miles roundtrip and all essential stores are also within a few miles, but would i be able to keep the car clean enough? I have a self service car wash close and would plan on washing it once every week, immediately if it gets caked in snow/salt. Would I be able to adequately wash the undercarriage? I do not want a GT as I plan on using the BOSS for track/autocross during better weather and it is much better suited for this than a GT. The lack of creature comforts doesn't bother me at all. I don't think an underbody sealant is a good idea, I hear it chips and creates pockets that ACCELERATE rust. All advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I don't believe the Boss would be much different than any other domestic car as far as protection from salt, etc. The biggest concern you should have is handling on snow/ice. There's a number of drivers here on the forum that live is similar winter conditions and drive it as a DD I believe, so they will be able to chime in here also. Bottom line is you'll need some excellent winter rubber (think Blizzak, top shelf ones also) and also need to reduce your tire widths from stock also. Even the stock widths (which some of us have abandoned for wider widths for track use) will float over snow vs. dig into it. The power of the engine is actually fairly easy to control, but it is still a 440+HP V8 in a 3600 lb car.

PeteInCT said:
I don't believe the Boss would be much different than any other domestic car as far as protection from salt, etc. The biggest concern you should have is handling on snow/ice. There's a number of drivers here on the forum that live is similar winter conditions and drive it as a DD I believe, so they will be able to chime in here also. Bottom line is you'll need some excellent winter rubber (think Blizzak, top shelf ones also) and also need to reduce your tire widths from stock also. Even the stock widths (which some of us have abandoned for wider widths for track use) will float over snow vs. dig into it. The power of the engine is actually fairly easy to control, but it is still a 440+HP V8 in a 3600 lb car.
Thanks for your advice, I was thinking Blizzaks too, I hear a lot of good things about them. Should I have all the tires the same width? I don't think staggered width is good in snow. in addition to the skinnier tires, do you think I should reduce the wheel diameter to 18's as well, or would the stock wheels do? I don't think 17's would clear the brakes. The roads here usually aren't too bad, the reason being that they salt the crap out of them, which is why I addressed that as my main concern. I have driven RWD cars in this climate and as long as I drove like a granny, I was fine ;D.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I have trouble imagining exposing a Boss to salt, but I think it's totally doable to DD in the snow. And if you keep the undercarriage washed frequently, I don't really see the problem avoiding rust.

You need to use at least 18"s to clear the brakes. I'd suggest old GT500 rims for your winter setup, since they will definitely clear the calipers.

Grant 302 said:
I have trouble imagining exposing a Boss to salt, but I think it's totally doable to DD in the snow. And if you keep the undercarriage washed frequently, I don't really see the problem avoiding rust.

You need to use at least 18"s to clear the brakes. I'd suggest old GT500 rims for your winter setup, since they will definitely clear the calipers.

Ok, that's what I thought 18's minimum. 18in. GT500 wheels are doable :). I hate the thought of driving it in salt too, I hate that I have to do that to all of my vehicles here, but i have to live with it :-[. Thanks.

A couple of the Ford engineers I talked to at The Mustang Roundup last year said they drive GTs as their DD in Detroit so I dont' see why not. As far as winter driving, a GT would be no different than a Boss as long as you put on snow tires.

As a year-round DD, don't think you can expect to keep the car as clean and corrosion free as one that is garaged and not driven in winter or that lives in a warmer/drier climate, even if you are washing it weekly (or more). It just means more effort on your part to keep it as clean as possible.

It is a tradeoff for sure... as with any car, the salt spray will eventually cause certain parts to rust or corrode faster than would be the case if it was garaged and not driven during winter months. And there are parts of these cars that are either bare metal (e.g., the driveshaft), or that are painted but not well protected against eventual corrosion (e.g., the rear axle housing). Road salt just accelerates the process.

That said, these cars are made to be driven. They make for one fun DD, and there's no reason they can't be driven in winter, even if they're not ideal for it. Better to have a Boss than not, so go for it!

Bay Area
If you get a Boss its your car and do what makes you happy. Its just a car and a fun car to add to that. Check out someof the other guys they are turning thiers into track monsters. A DD inthe snow, I would think thats bitchen. I live near the beach and was worried about the salt and and corrosion but after diriving the car and having fun, I no longer fear salt air. Just idiot dirvers. ;D

I DD mine as well. We have not gotten much snow, yet, but we do have salt/sand on the streets from a few below freezing temp. nights.

I currently have Pirelli winter tires mounted on a set of 18" SVE drift wheels, which I'm very satisfied with. I went with the Pirellis because we usually don't get much snow here in MD, but we do get the dry below freezing conditions. Pirellis sacrifice snow grip to provide better handling (rounded edges compared to the square edges on Blizzaks). My original plan was to go with GT500 rims, like mentioned above, but I liked the look of the SVE drifts a little better, and didn't hurt that they were a little more affordable as well.

here's a link to a winter wheel/tire setup thread that shows a few winter setups.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3758.msg58542#msg58542

As far as keeping it clean during winter... I didn't even bother fooling myself about it lol. I knew it was going to get dirty, very dirty, and I wasn't going to use automated car washes. If I'm not mistaken, somewhere on this forum it was mentioned that ford doesn't recommend automated car washes due to the risk of damaging the vinyls; Even though car washes are a good way of rinsing the undercarriage of salt.

Thank you guys for all of your help! It really has reassured me that this is the car that I desire, and that nothing else would really fill that void. It's going to be a while until I can get the car since I have a lease that's up this summer. I always look into new cars far in advance, probably good to learn the car in summer as well. I was just at the Detroit show and sadly the BOSS was absent, I expected it not to be there though since it will not appear as a 2014 model. Also the GT500 shifter pales in comparison to the 302's ;).

It's a car. Is it ideal, no. But cars today, the undercoatings and paints protect cars in all of the nook and crannies. Watch the Nat Geo Megafactories episode on how they build the Mustangs. The finishing process from the undercoating to the final paint is really interesting. Is there greater risk for rust? Sure, but when? If you plan to keep the car forever, you may have to deal with rust someday. Chances are, you won't even if you think you will. The better you do with cleaning, the better off you will be long term.

Bigger issue is do you want to drive a car like this in the snow and ice? I grew up in Colorado and drove classic Mustangs and a GTO as daily driver. If you drive extremely cautious, watch out for others, with good snow tires, you'll be a-ok. I lived 6 years in Minnesota and switched to front wheel drive. Not by choice, but my GTO was rear ended one week after college graduation and 1-week before moving for my first real job.

Buy the Boss and don't look back. You'll love the car especially if you track it. If it becomes a concern, save a few bucks for the next couple of years and then buy a beater for the winter. I guarantee you can find a way to afford a crappy truck or Honda if you apply yourself.

Post pics ASAP!

Hearing this is just making me want to break off my lease and buy a BOSS ASAP, I'll see how long I can hold on... (Lease is up this summer)

Drove my 06 GT here & Western PA for 2 winters. Did fine with winter tires on all 4 corners & a pair of 60lb Tubesand in the trunk.
No reason you cannot do similar with the Boss.
One thing to consider, for what you will spend on 4 18" winter tires & wheels, you can probably buy a decent winter beater.
Bottom line, it is a Mustang & will not melt if you do drive it in the winter.

I hate salt! This is what my truck looks like today after the weather we've had here in southeast Michigan for the past week.

marksiphone1-23-12009_zpsbac74ab5.jpg

aircare84 said:
Drove my 06 GT here & Western PA for 2 winters. Did fine with winter tires on all 4 corners & a pair of 60lb Tubesand in the trunk.
No reason you cannot do similar with the Boss.
One thing to consider, for what you will spend on 4 18" winter tires & wheels, you can probably buy a decent winter beater.
Bottom line, it is a Mustang & will not melt if you do drive it in the winter.

I do realize that I could buy a beater with that money, but I wouldn't have room for it. And If I did buy it I would have to store the BOSS, which would be another expense. Blizzaks are not cheap tires, and brand new 18in. GT500 wheels go for around $200/wheel.

Roadhouse said:
You can find much cheaper wheel options or even pick up a set of used gt500 wheels since you will only be using them in the winter.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying new, $200 per wheel isn't insane, but it's a lot for a strictly winter setup.

I live up here in Canada, and there is a guy here in my small town that dd's his 2011 Audi R8 in the winter. He put snow tires on and is fine. I WON'T do that to my Boss, but if you only have the option to have one if you drive it in the winter.......do it man. If I had to sell my F-150 to be able to keep my car, no question or hesitation, it would be gone and a real nice winter set up would be fitted to the BOSS.

TMO Supporting Vendors