The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss balancer vs Gen 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
That’s true, but they also didn’t bump the rev limit to match. So at best, it’s a crapshoot if it’ll do its job at or around 7,500 RPM.

My suggestion is to call Ford Performance for an opinion.

If you don’t want to do that, buy them both and take weights and measurements on both. Then decide for yourself.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Another option to consider is the Gen3 balancer which is now a viscous balancer. I never got around to asking if it can be used on the earlier generations but if you're calling Ford anyway it's worth a shot.

image-2.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Found this:

Grant 302

Another option to consider is the Gen3 balancer which is now a viscous balancer. I never got around to asking if it can be used on the earlier generations but if you're calling Ford anyway it's worth a shot.

Agreed. I was gonna say the same. But I think I’m conditioned to say less at times.

Anyone have experience with the ATI lightweight? And since we are discussing RPM survivability. Does anyone know if the standard 15 GT piston is up to constant 7500 RPM running?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
The weights of the 11GT, boss 302 and S550 GT balancers are all different. Somewhere I recorded the weights, but on a recent Gen1/boss build I used the S550 GT balancer with good success (on a gen2 crank, mahle piston and manley rod that had all been carefully balanced). The 18GT unit is interesting as an option as well.

As Grant 302 said, avoid the ATI balancer. You have additional install steps on those (honing to match your crank bore target interference) AND the risk of them breaking the crank snout; in return you don't get much benefit over the OEM solutions.

Grant 302

Not sure if you’re asking ‘why flamed’ or ‘why bulls hit’

Flamed because people believe that it works. Bullshit, because it doesn’t.

There have been concerns from way back like with early Modulars that the design wasn’t adequate for higher revving or higher HP levels. Like maybe ‘02. Anyway, without really getting into it, my opinion is that the design has a couple of major issues. Mass (or lack of) for frequencies damped, and amplitude ‘available’ from the captive structure that makes it SFI certifiable. The two issues combined are really bad.

I’m also certain that they aren’t tested adequately on specific applications like the Boss. The fact that they were dumped by Ford from use on certain crate engines is also telling.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Is the Boss 302 balancer an 8,000 rpm race proven unit?

Or did the 2011 Championship Tiger Racing Boss 302S use an aftermarket balancer?

If your running a 2012 Boss 302 U Code engine then use what ever won the 2011 SCCA Triple Crown Championship, (Driver, Team & Manufacture)

How could you go wrong with that?

Can you please provide some more info on this? Such as a link to the web page this was on?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area

TMO Supporting Vendors