The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Balking shift at Track definitive Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
I, too, drove the yellow blaze Boss at TA. It shifted much, much better than mine does.

That is good to know, my car never felt correct out of the box, if fact I was unaware of all the MT82 problems when I bought it because I did not read general Mustang forums. Two days after I bought the Boss I was at the dealer and asked if I could drive a GT to see how it felt.

When I went to Miller I was hoping the Boss there would feel the same as mine so I could blame myself for the shifting, Rick and Andy know that. However by the time I even made it out of the parking lot I knew something was very different and told the guys that. This is one reason I have been saying I thought it was a trans problem and not the clutch. After this weekend I am starting to come around to what everyone else is thinking.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
5 DOT 0 said:
OLOABoss said:
Believe me it wasn't easy to spend 2k on a clutch but it was either that or sell da Boss and move on.
Yikes. Was that for just the McLeod RST and installation?

Yep did include the lightweight steel flywheel which was extra over the clutch. There are less expensive lower rated clutch's that would handle the torque of the Boss motor. I just went for overkill with a 1000# rated clutch. Remember I also had to R&R the 1st clutch I installed as it was not up to the task.

Peter

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Watch this video from Sebring in March CHIN Motorsports Red Group Ian Stewart driving me as passenger. Watch as the 4 to 5 shift gets progressively slower and later the 3 to 4 shift starts acting up. This was not happening at PBIR last weekend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaw0m5iX0zE&feature=relmfu

Peter

2012YellowBoss said:
That is good to know, my car never felt correct out of the box, if fact I was unaware of all the MT82 problems when I bought it because I did not read general Mustang forums. Two days after I bought the Boss I was at the dealer and asked if I could drive a GT to see how it felt.

I drove a coupe GTs before buying the Boss and they shifted great. When I first got the Boss I assumed it was the "race inspired" clutch they put in it but it just does not feel nearly as good as the GTs did. Did they change anything other than the clutch for the Boss? I have to constantly bleed my clutch to keep it from grinding badly both going into and out of gear.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel