The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Car Cover Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Unfortunately you are in a State that it is apparently a requirement to pay sales tax. It is likely reciprical with Virginia, but most States do not require this , so when buying out of State you just wait till you get home to register, pay your taxes and get your plate.

Lots of information is a bit incorrect here, and hopefully I can clear up some of them. There are no agreements between Dealerships to do a drop ships , and when one picks up a car from another Dealership ( which is different , but mentioned) , that is just a personal agreement between certain friendly Franchises as it not a company mandate. The one problem you are running into is that virtually every drop ship involves costs, and most Dealerships will charge another 300-500 just to do said drop ship. Have you offered the Dealer a fee to do the drop ship , understanding they will have to pay the other Dealer something?

Frankly I think you have been very understanding and I would not worry about the Dealership as they are doing all the things that give us a bad name. You should not have to jump through all their hoops when you are obviously paying them a more than fair profit, and it is unfortunate that they value your business so little.

We ship all over the country , and though I can not assist you there with our 5 enclosed trailers, I can give you some names of some quality carriers. All are enclosed trailers and Reliable is one that was mentioned ( I can give you a personal contact there ) , but Intercity, Passport and others are also quite good.

If you want any of the numbers for these guys give me a ring or email, and you have my sympathy for your plight , as frankly it is one you never should have had to endure.

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton
Performance Mgr
www.woodhouse.com
1-800-889-1893
cell 402-677-5864
[email protected]

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Bill Pemberton said:
Unfortunately you are in a State that it is apparently a requirement to pay sales tax. It is likely reciprical with Virginia, but most States do not require this , so when buying out of State you just wait till you get home to register, pay your taxes and get your plate.

Lots of information is a bit incorrect here, and hopefully I can clear up some of them. There are no agreements between Dealerships to do a drop ships , and when one picks up a car from another Dealership ( which is different , but mentioned) , that is just a personal agreement between certain friendly Franchises as it not a company mandate. The one problem you are running into is that virtually every drop ship involves costs, and most Dealerships will charge another 300-500 just to do said drop ship. Have you offered the Dealer a fee to do the drop ship , understanding they will have to pay the other Dealer something?

Frankly I think you have been very understanding and I would not worry about the Dealership as they are doing all the things that give us a bad name. You should not have to jump through all their hoops when you are obviously paying them a more than fair profit, and it is unfortunate that they value your business so little.

We ship all over the country , and though I can not assist you there with our 5 enclosed trailers, I can give you some names of some quality carriers. All are enclosed trailers and Reliable is one that was mentioned ( I can give you a personal contact there ) , but Intercity, Passport and others are also quite good.

If you want any of the numbers for these guys give me a ring or email, and you have my sympathy for your plight , as frankly it is one you never should have had to endure.

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton
Performance Mgr
www.woodhouse.com
1-800-889-1893
cell 402-677-5864
[email protected]

Mr Pemberton,

Wow! I am really impressed and thankful to your well thought, well written response to my original post and without a doubt if probably represents the best response received in this particular thread. So, for this I am thankful. Now, maybe I was not clear, or I have been given incorrect information. From what I have read on numerous other forums and from what I can gather from members on this forum, it appears there is a service referred to by Ford (the manufacturer) as a "courtesy delivery". From what I can gather, this differs from what you and others are referring to as a "drop delivery". A courtesy delivery, if desired by the purchaser, is typically submitted by the purchasing dealership with the order to Ford initially as part of the DORA. The dealer can go back and mod the original DORA if necessary to include this courtesy delivery at a later time just as long as this is done before the vehicle is built. From what I've been told, Ford will ship the vehicle to a 3rd party Ford dealership the purchaser has requested the vehicle be shipped to. The vehicle never sees the dealership that ordered the vehicle. So in my case, instead of "Ford" shipping the vehicle to Florida, Ford ships directly to my home dealership here in sunny Virginia. As I already have paid for the delivery charges, there is no additional delivery charges incurred by anyone. The purchasing dealer does not have to ship something it never sees. There are no additional charges for this as there is no additional transportation involved. However, it is incumbent upon me as the purchaser to make arrangements with my local Ford dealership here in Virginia to agree to being a party to this service. They would certainly charge me a fee to "prep" the vehicle. Again, from what I've been told by others this fee could be on the order of a few hundreds of dollars. As you are familiar with the "drop-delivery" I will not discuss this but you as you should be able to assess the differences between these 2 arrangements.

In regards to transporting my vehicle from Florida, as the courtesy delivery service is not being offered to me by my purchasing dealership, I am aware of Reliable Carriers and I have already requested and received a quote from them. I have also heard good things said about Intercity as well and I will pursue obtaining a quote from those folks too. Your third transport carrier (Passport) I am unfamiliar with but if you could provide me with a contact I will certainly follow up with a quote request.

As you are probably well aware this industry is full of shady characters conducting very shady operations. It is difficult for me to separate those honest, hard-working, bonded, and reputable carriers from the "riff-raff". As I am taking delivery of a very special vehicle (Boss LS), I am hesitant to trust just anyone with my purchase. I originated this thread to hopefully gain some insight into what options may be available to me to get my vehicle back to it's new home. I have received quite a bit of good feedback from my fellow forum members, some quite good and some not so good and I would definitely put your response in the former category.

So, if you could pass along contact info for the Carriers you cite I will certainly follow up as I am leaning very strongly now toward going with a reputable transport company that offers door-to-door service, can provide an enclosed container to ship the vehicle within, and can accommodate a low clearance vehicle like the Boss LS.

Once again, thank you for your informative well written post.

Regards,

MMD

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
A drop ship or courtesy delivery is virtually the same thing. The reason the Dealer does not want to do it varies, but often it is just the fact that there will be a charge, and they do not want to pay it. I have had customers say they would pay the fee, only to find out the Dealer that wants to have it delivered to wants $1000. Normally the fee is in the 300-500 range, and it would be interesting to see what your ordering Dealer would say if you offered to pay this?

Either way the transports to call are:

Reliable -- ask for Tom Splan when you call back and tell him you chatted with me. They have a terminal in Florida , so they will likely be pretty competitive

Intercity - 1-800-221-3926
Ask for Jeff Degnan , he is the Operations Mgr, and tell him I said you would give him a killer rate.

Passport - 800-325-4267

I will send you a PM with the owner of Passport and let him know you are a friend of mine ( heh, we izzz brudders of da Boss, so it's the same thing )

Dvendet

All
Thanks for your interest and I've gotten a lot of positve feedback from quite a few of you. So many thanks to all.

I've been informed (thanks to our very own JMBBoss) that my vehicle has an ETA of May 16. After weighting all factors, I decided I will take my vehicle from the dealer and drive it down to Vero Beach, FL (where my daughter lives) which is about 20 miles from the dealer. This took quite a bit of effort as I had to speak with the owner of this dealership and plead with them to issue me a 30 day temp tag. I told the owner I spoke with FL's DMV and the county Tax Assessor's office which told me they are required to provide me with a 30 day tag even if I planned on taking the vehicle to another state and regster it here in my home state of Virginia. The owner finally conceeded. I am going to take the car to my daughter's house. I plan on hiring either Reliable carriers or Intercity Transport. Both these carriers have enclosed containers and are considered "high-end" carriers. Probably going to cost me around 1300 to 1400 dollars to drive my buggy 900 miles home. For a number of reasons I did not want to drive the car on the Interstate 900 miles for the break-in. Also, I didn't want to put any miles on the Pirellis as I plan on taking them off, selling them, and put a set of Bridgestone Pole Positions on the car. Also I didn't want to nick the front end up too badly as I want to put a Clear Bra as soon as I get it home. I'll keep you guys posted as my saga nears completion. I'll get some pics sent out when things settle down. Thanks again to so many of you for all you support and help. I am grateful.

MMD

Dvendet

Snake Handler said:
+1 on Passport Transport. I've used them before. They have tracking via their website so you can see where your car is during transit.
SH

Yes, Passport is another one I am considering too and came highly recommended. Thanks.

MMD

Dvendet

boss2511 said:
Are you buying a LS?
I ordered a black LS back in the middle of March. Back then I didn't think there was much of a chance of getting one for MSRP. Since this is going to be the last year the Boss is made, I did not want to get shut out so I decided then that I was willing to pay 2K ADM. Since then, I've read a number of posts where some are paying MSRP for the LS. Life sometimes is just a crap shoot! I rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes. At least I'm getting the car i've been wanting to have for a very long time. You know what? I think it has been worth the wait! I'm sure of this.

MMD

I know early in this topic, there was a question about towing a vehicle with a car cover on, so I just had to post the pictures below. But, first let me say that I wouldn't tow with a car cover on. That being said, yesterday while traveling on northbound I-75 just south of Detroit, I spotted this car carrier loaded with new Volkswagons, all covered. This is not the first time I've seen this, just the first time I could get pictures.

rksiphone6-17-12007.jpg
rksiphone6-17-12008.jpg
rksiphone6-17-12009.jpg

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
jmbboss302 said:
I know early in this topic, there was a question about towing a vehicle with a car cover on, so I just had to post the pictures below. But, first let me say that I wouldn't tow with a car cover on. That being said, yesterday while traveling on northbound I-75 just south of Detroit, I spotted this car carrier loaded with new Volkswagons, all covered. This is not the first time I've seen this, just the first time I could get pictures.

rksiphone6-17-12007.jpg
rksiphone6-17-12008.jpg
rksiphone6-17-12009.jpg

Those car covers are designed to be used on a transport truck. They are used just once and then thrown away.

A coupe things. When I had my Florida dealers license I gave a bill of sale, the title and issued a temp tag for out of state sales. The new owner would take that stuff to there DMV , pay the tax and title fees in there state and license it. Maybe I wasn't doing it right, but I passed several years of inspections??

As far as the drive back home. I drove mine from PA to Florida at night with little or no traffic so rock chips were not a problem. I varied the RPMs for the break in and put 2 quarts of oil in it. But I really enjoyed that drive. Stopped a few times but drove straight through. A 1000 miles on the tires with highway use won't hurt them unless the front end is out.

Dvendet

regalt87 said:
A coupe things. When I had my Florida dealers license I gave a bill of sale, the title and issued a temp tag for out of state sales. The new owner would take that stuff to there DMV , pay the tax and title fees in there state and license it. Maybe I wasn't doing it right, but I passed several years of inspections??
Ifinally received my 13 LS last Friday to my home state of Virginia. I ultimately decided to have my car transported from Florida to Virgina (about 900 miles) using Intercity Lines. They came highly recommened and Bill Pemberton also gave them a thumbs up too! These guys were great! Top notch professional and the get a lot of business from customers with high end vehicles. These guys bent over backwards to arrange pick-up and drop off delivery times so they accomodate your schedule. The driver called numerous times to let you know where he was and when he would arrive. My driver, a man named Ed Jordan, I felt treated every car in his care as if they were his own personal vehicles. Ed went over the car before and after deliveries with you to detect any minor defects in the paint (i.e. scratches, swirl marks, etc.). This guy has a pair of eyes better than buzzard. He was noticing 3 extremly minor paint defects that I could not see but my daughter could barely notice. That's how good his service was. Ef offered either a dust cover or a thicker cover to protect the vehicle even more. I choose just the dust cover. There was no additional charge for either choice. The truck Ed drove up in had a lift so their s no need to worry about clearances as the car is driven on to the lift flat and the lift elevates the vehicle to the truck bed height and driven on. The truck lready had a 50's era Ferrari on it, 2 high end Mercedes, and a top of the line Lexus all headed North. The car was picked up on late Monday and dropped off on noon that Friday. I would highly recommend this company to anyone. Ed mentioned that he had even transported a F1 McClaren once!

Regarding documentation, I ran into a problem here. The Florida dealership insisted that all I needed to show my DMV in Virginia was the bill of sale which showed I paid the taxes in Florida. Wrong! When I went back to the Virginia DMV to title the car they aked for a form the deler should have provided me that should have been notarized. The DMV indicated I need to pay sales tax in Virginia and then seek reimbursement fron the state of Florida. The following Monday I called the FL dealer and told them this. They wound up reimbursing me my sales tax I paid in Florida. All I had to do was fax them a copy of the taxes I paid to Virginia. I should also mention that the Florida dealer gave me the original Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. Virginia required I surrender this document to them and they issued a title in return.

Wow - what an ordeal. See my other post "Lesson Learned" as there was an issue with the dealer incorrectly installed the brake duct cooling duct work. I didn't noticed that the duct work was interferring with the driver's tire on a full right hand turn. As Virginia requires an inspection on any vehicle, the local Ford dealer here rejected my vehicle inspection because the duct work was rubbing against the tire. I had to pay 50 dollars to remove the duct work so I could receive the inspection tag!

I'll get some pictures out soon. I don't have a good camera. My cell phone pics come out blurry. I installed the JLT, the K&N, Roush side splitter, Track-Key. This weekend in goes the MGW. Still much more to do. Looking at wheels, clear-bra, clutch line, trans fluid swap, and 1 piece drive shaft. Hope to get this all in, plus a good coat of wax, before fall. Just got to find time in a very bUsy schedule.

MMD

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
JLT is that there intake or air/oil separator? If so did you go both sides or just the passenger side? Have you popped those side pipes open yet?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel