The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Car Cover Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

+1 to calling the FL and VA dmv. I did the opposite (bought in VA,trnsfr title, p/u 10 day temp tag then drove to FL then reg/pd tax in FL) a few years back on a used Jeep, pretty painless. What about doing a one way car rental ? Drive thru and get the Boss and then take a few days driving the 2 lane back roads home. Visit some off the beaten path places, take some pics. The back raods sholud provide a pretty good break in. Just be sure to check the oil level before you leave. There is all kinds of things to see and do in FL. Where is the dealer ?

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
93 LX 5.0 said:
+1 to calling the FL and VA dmv. I did the opposite (bought in VA,trnsfr title, p/u 10 day temp tag then drove to FL then reg/pd tax in FL) a few years back on a used Jeep, pretty painless. What about doing a one way car rental ? Drive thru and get the Boss and then take a few days driving the 2 lane back roads home. Visit some off the beaten path places, take some pics. The back raods sholud provide a pretty good break in. Just be sure to check the oil level before you leave. There is all kinds of things to see and do in FL. Where is the dealer ?
The dealer is in Southeast FL. I don't want to be anymore specific as I don't want to create any bad blood if my comments should get back to him. I am leaning toward either renting a trailer and towing the vehicle myself or paying someone to transport back. I got some good info from other members in this thread I will follow up on. If I tow the car back myself, I would be faced with the issue of the car getting dinged up from stones and debris though. I have not figured out how to resolve this problem. That's why I'm leaning toward paying a transport carrier. However doing this has it's own problems as there are many shady types in this business. Hopefully I will come up with a solution by June. Where in FL are you?

MMD

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
being in the navy for almost 14 years I have seen a lot of places and I have to say america is so much better than any place I have ever been. wouldnt leave it for nothing

MakeMyDay said:
ace72ace said:
MakeMyDay said:
Hopefully someone here can answer this. As my dealer is unwilling to offer a courtesy delivery, I decided that I am just going to rent a trailer and tow my LS 900 miles when it arrives end of May. My question relates to the Boss car cover that I purchased as a Ford option for this vehicle. What I would like to know about this cover from those of you who are familiar with this item is:

1) Is this cover water proof? and,
2) Does this cover fit snugly over the vehicle, or is there some way I can anchor the cover to the vehicle so that it will not fly off the vehicle at highway speeds? My intent is to protect the vehicle from stones and such during this trip.

Thanks to all that reply.

MMD

Does your local dealer care that you probably won't spend any service dollars there?
Apparently not. I actually told the salesman that I planned on moving close to his dealership next year (this is not BS either) and he indicated that it's out of his hands and its the policy of this dealership not to offer this service. He couldn't give me a further explanation. I even wrote an email and pleaded to the owner of the dealership. I have not heard a word back. I even contacted a Ford customer Service Rep and they told me it is out of Ford's hands and up to the dealer. I won't mention the dealer's name as I do not want to bad mouth them as there may be members here that have purchased their Bosses from them. They sell a lot of Stangs and Bosses. This dealership is really inconveniencing me. What can I do? I really love the Boss and I got a good price and its a 2nd quarter build. How can I complain? I've already signed a contract so I do not want to back out either. I guess they have me over a barrel. I'll remember them whenever I need parts or service though.

MMD
Are you telling us that you expect the dealer to deliver your car 900 miles away? Why didn't you go to a closer dealer???

MakeMyDay said:
boss2511 said:
one way plane ticket and drive it back? is that an option?
The dealer will not give me a bill of sale until I pay them. I will not pay them until I physically check the car over an accept if there are no outstanding issues. The dealer won't let me drive off the lot. If I do they will want me to pay the 6% Florida sales tax. My home state has a 3% sales tax which I'd prefer to pay. So the dealer will not give me a temporary tag because they want me to either have a trailer pick up my car,or, have me take the Bill of Sale back to Virginia and title and get tags in VA. Then I would have to fly back to Florida with title and tags and then drive the car home. Does this sound a little too complicated. Also, I am not sure if driving a car 900 miles on a Interstate is the best way to break in the car anyway. I just thought my best solution would be to put the vehicle on a rented trailer and truck the vehicle home myself.

You should have learned a lesson here and that is: There are always potential complications when ordering a car from a distant dealer and especially out-of state. You should have considered and taken care of these issues before signing dotted line especially if you say you received a 'good deal' from the dealer. You cannot expect a dealer to do these things without prior discussion. Of course, a GOOD dealer or a really experienced salesperson may have told you about these things. It all depends upon how well each party gets into the details. Also, you may want to have checked with a buddy or someone who had already purchased a car out-of state.

I do not know how many states you would have to drive thru but some states allow one to drive a newly-purchased car without a tag provided it is done within a certain period of time, say for three days. You could check with the various Secretaries of State for their specific regulations.

I hope this helps others who desire to purchase from a distant dealer. Nothing wrong with this it is done all the time. One just has to be smart (no offense) about it.

TennEarl said:
Hey TheMarco,
The cover is easy to put on and take off. As to the gentleman who ask about trailering the cover, i would not trailer mine with this cover. My cover has two holes, one on the drivers side the other on the passenger side, thats the only tie downs i see. Also i don't belive mine is water proof, almost but not quiet so.

I recommend California Car Cover Company:
www.calcarcover.com. Lots of selection.

jsgalent said:
Reinforcement to the initial post. NEVER trailer a car with cover on. Even the best covers will damage paint.
Best advice I have heard on this stream. The wind will tend to constantly buffet the cover against the vehice and abrasion could occur. Get a transporter who has a covered, full enclosed trailer, has a guarantee and an inspection prior to shipment.

Dvendet

Bossfan said:
Are you telling us that you expect the dealer to deliver your car 900 miles away? Why didn't you go to a closer dealer???
Did I say that I expected the dealer to deliver my car 900 miles away? If you actually read my comments you would have learned about Ford's courtesy delivery which most people in this forum know about. Spend some time reading and learning before you demonstrate your ignorance.

Let's be cool guys. We are here on this site to help our Boss brothers (and sisters) with questions not known. I for one have aways received help here. Think how bad life could be, you could own a Prius.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I would be worried that the wind could flap the cover and then rub the paint. Maybe you can get it wrapped like they do for boats that go into winter storage.

Brian

BossLS said:
Let's be cool guys. We are here on this site to help our Boss brothers (and sisters) with questions not known. I for one have aways received help here.
Exactly. So the best advice is not to use the car cover on a car being transported on an open trailer. If you can't find a local dealer to accept the car directly from Ford (if you have a VIN it's too late anyway) just go pick it up and make a road trip out of your purchase.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
BossLS said:
Let's be cool guys. We are here on this site to help our Boss brothers (and sisters) with questions not known. I for one have aways received help here. Think how bad life could be, you could own a Prius.

My spouse has a Prius and it gives me great pleasure to say our life is OK!

Dvendet

One of the posters on this thread recommended this web site:

http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=2614

I wrote these folks and told them I wanted to tow a my new vehicle 900 miles. They also did not recommend I use a car cover but they did recommend the product shown on this web site. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts about this product?

MMD

four-walling said:
BossLS said:

Happy wife = happy life. But the real question is: How much do YOU really like driving the Prius? As far as spouses go, I know my wife would pick a Prius over a Boss - but she's ok with me anyway! ;)

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
jimprw said:
four-walling said:
BossLS said:

Happy wife = happy life. But the real question is: How much do YOU really like driving the Prius? As far as spouses go, I know my wife would pick a Prius over a Boss - but she's ok with me anyway! ;)

I do not like driving the Prius.

The only thing good about it is that it gets 45 MPG.

My spouse loves Her Prius and she also loves my Boss.

My daily driver also gets about 15 MPG like the Boss, so having a Prius in the household is not an entirely bad thing.

To each his or her own. If she loves her eco-friendly car, more power to her.

I told my wife she could get any car she wanted so she wanted a 300. After a couple of years she wanted a Cadilac. She is really giving me a bad reputation. She's not a car person but she likes riding in the new Boss but hates the old Boss. Says it's the most uncomfotable car she has ever riden in. We went on our honeymoon in a 70 Boss. She use to power shift the Boss and now she likes 4 doors. Things change except for me. She grew up and I'm still a boy. We are becoming grandparents so I have to figure out how to put a car seat in the LS. That's why there are so many cars being made so we have choices.

Dvendet

Thread getting a little side-tracked don't you think? How did we go from discussing trailering a new Boss home 900 miles with or without a car cover, to talking about someone's Prius. What's next guys?...erectile dysfunction?

MMD

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
MakeMyDay said:
Thread getting a little side-tracked don't you think? How did we go from discussing trailering a new Boss home 900 miles with or without a car cover, to talking about someone's Prius. What's next guys?...erectile dysfunction?

MMD
+1 seems to be what happens to all threads. It doesnt bother me though.

TMO Supporting Vendors