The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Car Cover Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Hopefully someone here can answer this. As my dealer is unwilling to offer a courtesy delivery, I decided that I am just going to rent a trailer and tow my LS 900 miles when it arrives end of May. My question relates to the Boss car cover that I purchased as a Ford option for this vehicle. What I would like to know about this cover from those of you who are familiar with this item is:

1) Is this cover water proof? and,
2) Does this cover fit snugly over the vehicle, or is there some way I can anchor the cover to the vehicle so that it will not fly off the vehicle at highway speeds? My intent is to protect the vehicle from stones and such during this trip.

Thanks to all that reply.

MMD

I don't know if its water proof. But it is a very nice snug fit. It also has a hole on each side at the bottom that you can use to tie down the cover so it doesnt fly off during transportation. If you use that I would have no fear of it coming off.

Dvendet

reakhavok said:
I don't know if its water proof. But it is a very nice snug fit. It also has a hole on each side at the bottom that you can use to tie down the cover so it doesnt fly off during transportation. If you use that I would have no fear of it coming off.
Thanks ReakHavok,

This is exactly what I wanted to know. This info is a great help to me. About how large are the holes and how many are there?

MMD

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
MakeMyDay said:
Hopefully someone here can answer this. As my dealer is unwilling to offer a courtesy delivery, I decided that I am just going to rent a trailer and tow my LS 900 miles when it arrives end of May. My question relates to the Boss car cover that I purchased as a Ford option for this vehicle. What I would like to know about this cover from those of you who are familiar with this item is:

2) Does this cover fit snugly over the vehicle, or is there some way I can anchor the cover to the vehicle so that it will not fly off the vehicle at highway speeds? My intent is to protect the vehicle from stones and such during this trip.

MMD

Does your local dealer care that you probably won't spend any service dollars there?

Dvendet

ace72ace said:
MakeMyDay said:

MMD

Does your local dealer care that you probably won't spend any service dollars there?
Apparently not. I actually told the salesman that I planned on moving close to his dealership next year (this is not BS either) and he indicated that it's out of his hands and its the policy of this dealership not to offer this service. He couldn't give me a further explanation. I even wrote an email and pleaded to the owner of the dealership. I have not heard a word back. I even contacted a Ford customer Service Rep and they told me it is out of Ford's hands and up to the dealer. I won't mention the dealer's name as I do not want to bad mouth them as there may be members here that have purchased their Bosses from them. They sell a lot of Stangs and Bosses. This dealership is really inconveniencing me. What can I do? I really love the Boss and I got a good price and its a 2nd quarter build. How can I complain? I've already signed a contract so I do not want to back out either. I guess they have me over a barrel. I'll remember them whenever I need parts or service though.

MMD

Dvendet

reakhavok said:
Been out driving the boss all day.. the holes are 1/2 inch and there are only 2. they are right in the middle on each side of the car.
Hey I don't blame you! If I had a beautiful Boss likes yours I'd be on the road all day too! Beautiful color! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You have been most helpful.

MMD

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
MakeMyDay said:

MMD

The car cover will flap against your fenders and WILL PERMANENTLY DAMAGE your paint job if you transport the car with it on. The holes at the bottom of a car cover are to slip a cable and lock through so it will not get stolen when parked.

Pay the upcharge for a covered carrier to ensure your vehice is delivered safely.

Dvendet

four-walling said:
MakeMyDay said:

MMD

The car cover will flap against your fenders and WILL PERMANENTLY DAMAGE your paint job if you transport the car with it on. The holes at the bottom of a car cover are to slip a cable and lock through so it will not get stolen when parked.

Pay the upcharge for a covered carrier to ensure your vehice is delivered safely.
Thanks for your reply four wall. This is my dilemma. I've been reading as much as I can about finding a reliable car carrier to move my vehicle. It seems like a lot of reviews on the Internet seem to indicate there are many fly-by-night operations out there. Many horror stories about damage, long delays, hidden expenses, and not being able to make a claim in the event damage incurs. I'm sure there are some respectable operations out there but I have been unable to find one. So - in my infinite wisdom - I decided that I would tow the vehicle myself. Now I got the car cover problem as I want to protect the vehicle during shipment. Maybe I am too much of a perfectionist and maybe I'm asking too much. Hmmmm....what to do?

MMD

I would get a quote from a reputable car transport like the ones that ship to Shelby in Las Vegas.

Like these guys. Check out a quote before you pay for plane tickets, gas to drive it, etc. Do the math...

http://www.reliable-carriers.com/contact.cfm

Dvendet

boss2511 said:
one way plane ticket and drive it back? is that an option?
The dealer will not give me a bill of sale until I pay them. I will not pay them until I physically check the car over an accept if there are no outstanding issues. The dealer won't let me drive off the lot. If I do they will want me to pay the 6% Florida sales tax. My home state has a 3% sales tax which I'd prefer to pay. So the dealer will not give me a temporary tag because they want me to either have a trailer pick up my car,or, have me take the Bill of Sale back to Virginia and title and get tags in VA. Then I would have to fly back to Florida with title and tags and then drive the car home. Does this sound a little too complicated. Also, I am not sure if driving a car 900 miles on a Interstate is the best way to break in the car anyway. I just thought my best solution would be to put the vehicle on a rented trailer and truck the vehicle home myself.

Hey Makemyday. The cover is absolutely waterproof and I agree, I would not transport w/ the cover on. As for transporters, you are correct. There are many shady ones out there. If you want a good one try; thecarstork.com. I have no ties to him other than I used him to transport my Boss from NC to NY. Closed carrier and first class operation. His name is David and he himself drives and you will speak w/ him personally. I found him by doing a lot of research myself. Good luck and congrats on your purchase.

MakeMyDay said:
ace72ace said:
MakeMyDay said:

MMD

Apparently not. I actually told the salesman that I planned on moving close to his dealership next year (this is not BS either) and he indicated that it's out of his hands and its the policy of this dealership not to offer this service. He couldn't give me a further explanation. I even wrote an email and pleaded to the owner of the dealership. I have not heard a word back. I even contacted a Ford customer Service Rep and they told me it is out of Ford's hands and up to the dealer. I won't mention the dealer's name as I do not want to bad mouth them as there may be members here that have purchased their Bosses from them. They sell a lot of Stangs and Bosses. This dealership is really inconveniencing me. What can I do? I really love the Boss and I got a good price and its a 2nd quarter build. How can I complain? I've already signed a contract so I do not want to back out either. I guess they have me over a barrel. I'll remember them whenever I need parts or service though.

MMD

When I was looking at GTs (I wanted a stripped one with just the Brembo package in white) there were none local, and none of the local dealers would do a swap with the far dealers that had them. They also refused to order one, as they said it would be impossible to sell if I backed out. So I contacted the dealers they told me had the cars and asked about shipping. Every single one said no, and they claimed it was because Ford has a policy that their dealers are not allowed to deliver cars. You have to go there and pick it up. I assumed, and still do assume, that it is BS but that was the response I got.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you order it from a closer dealer?

You can buy packing paper and then use blue painter's tape to hold it on. The tape does not leave residue. You could also use a layer of plastic wrap under the paper if you are worried about it scratching.

Dvendet

BossTXB said:
I would get a quote from a reputable car transport like the ones that ship to Shelby in Las Vegas.

Like these guys. Check out a quote before you pay for plane tickets, gas to drive it, etc. Do the math...

http://www.reliable-carriers.com/contact.cfm
I got a quote from them. They want 1200 dollars. The price isn't the issue but the company gets mixed reviews from what I have read.

Dvendet

blazer1 said:
Hey Makemyday. The cover is absolutely waterproof and I agree, I would not transport w/ the cover on. As for transporters, you are correct. There are many shady ones out there. If you want a good one try; thecarstork.com. I have no ties to him other than I used him to transport my Boss from NC to NY. Closed carrier and first class operation. His name is David and he himself drives and you will speak w/ him personally. I found him by doing a lot of research myself. Good luck and congrats on your purchase.
Thanks blazer! I'll follow up with this individual. Thanks for the lead!

MMD

Now that we're talking about the cover anyway:

How quickly can this cover be put on and off? I'd like to have it on when I have it in my apartment complex' parking garage to prevent accidental dings or people mess with the car. So I'm wondering how much hassle it is to put it on / take it off?

Dvendet

CaliMR said:
MakeMyDay said:
ace72ace said:
MakeMyDay said:

MMD

MMD

When I was looking at GTs (I wanted a stripped one with just the Brembo package in white) there were none local, and none of the local dealers would do a swap with the far dealers that had them. They also refused to order one, as they said it would be impossible to sell if I backed out. So I contacted the dealers they told me had the cars and asked about shipping. Every single one said no, and they claimed it was because Ford has a policy that their dealers are not allowed to deliver cars. You have to go there and pick it up. I assumed, and still do assume, that it is BS but that was the response I got.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you order it from a closer dealer?

You can buy packing paper and then use blue painter's tape to hold it on. The tape does not leave residue. You could also use a layer of plastic wrap under the paper if you are worried about it scratching.
Thanks Cali for relating your experiences and your suggestions. To answer your question, I contacted about 12-13 dealers in my neck of the world and they either did not have an allocation or they wanted 12 to 20 thousand dollars more than what I am paying for my LS. Keep in mind I was checking back in February, early March. This is when dealers typically are charging top dollar. So I wound up with a great deal. The down side is the transportation issue I am faced with and look to resolve. I'm getting many great ideas and suggestions from folks on this forum though which I truly appreciate

MMD

GA
CaliMR said:
[When I was looking at GTs (I wanted a stripped one with just the Brembo package in white) there were none local, and none of the local dealers would do a swap with the far dealers that had them. They also refused to order one, as they said it would be impossible to sell if I backed out. So I contacted the dealers they told me had the cars and asked about shipping. Every single one said no, and they claimed it was because Ford has a policy that their dealers are not allowed to deliver cars. You have to go there and pick it up. I assumed, and still do assume, that it is BS but that was the response I got.

That was BS. I searched dealer inventory and found my YB '12 Brembo GT at a dealer 70 miles away, and my dealer transferred it in to sell it to me. I called in the morning and they sent someone up that day to drive it down, and I picked it up that evening. Maybe they just trust me because I have been a good customer for several years.

Regarding delivering the car, as long as you sign the paperwork they should be able to ship it to you. I am sure that they do have some rules to live by since things always get abused and then a rule comes of it.

TMO Supporting Vendors