The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Conversion to Race Car - Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss after paint 3.jpegBoss after paint 2.jpegBoss after paint 1.jpeg After a long wait the body work and paint on my Boss is complete. The conversion will be a slow process, so i won't be updating the thread very often, but phase one is complete. Most of the mechanical / suspension upgrades were installed beforehand. Installation of 302R/S Brembo brakes, 302R Brake Booster and Ford Racing ABS module will happen this summer. After that, it's interior safety mods...Cage, race seat, extinguisher, etc. Then deciding on a graphic scheme and color and finally, wheels. Here a couple of pics of how the paint and body work turned out...

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It's one of the last things I'm going to do, but I'm not sure what color or boss graphic (12 or 13) I'm going to go with. Feel free to chime in if anyone has suggestions on what might look good with the matte kona blue. I'm considering the black / greyish reflective color that came on the 2013's, silver or possibly a carbon fiber pattern if available (maybe white or black). I change my mind on this almost daily so who know's where I'll end up.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Something in chrome, or fluorescent orange / fluorescent yellow that would really pop would look great. Might need to get some samples to game it out. White always looks good as well but that's been done ;)

A fluorescent orange might look cool. White would work too. ;)

I always liked this look on the Tiger hoods.

fullsizeoutput_893.jpeg

I had originally considered copying the color scheme of the matte black 302S, which is my absolute favorite factory paint scheme offered on any Boss. I decided to go with the blue because it's unique and less expensive since it required less paint work (didn't need to do the interior, engine bay, etc). Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but as of now, I'm leaning toward the light grey / silver and a new one I just thought of...gloss kona blue decals (or close to it if available). Basically mimicking the black 302S. The 2013 graphics are in the lead right now regardless of the color. It's going to be many months before I get to the decals, so lots of time to throw ideas around.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel