The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss cooling issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I haven't done it since I installed the 302 grille, however I did do mods to that grille on the far left and right side with my dremel cutting tool that makes me believe it would be easy to do. After cutting out the fog light opening, Ford make very small drill holes around the opening and then used some fine steel wire to wrap the edges of the wire mesh onto the grille. If I remember properly I'd say they tied it down in this fashion in either 6 or 8 points around the circle of the fog light opening. I can get a close up pic off my grille is needed, PM me.

2011-12-18_13-02-31_744.jpg

2011-12-18_13-02-19_448.jpg

Thanks Guys you have saved me from a weekend of trial and error and the wife asking a lot of questions on why I would spend 40+K and start drilling holes in it. I think I will spend my time more productively like hauling ass around town!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. A bunch of us here are track rats and have probably already dealt with issues or questions that you might have. No need to rack your brain if someone's already figured it out.

Enjoy da BAUCE

5 DOT 0 said:
I think you either leave your stock one alone and get another grill for the track or hack up the stock one to be like a 302S grill.

Well, some people did both, lol.

I modified a Boss grille like Pete except I did not cut the far right side. So far its been working great, I ran hard all day at Sebring yesterday and never saw over 217 on the gauge.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Re: Boss cooling issues? (Re: AeroForce Gauge)

Gary - This is a followup to my question on the AeroForce Gauge and ECT vs. CHT. I would assume we would want to monitor CHT before any thing else (ECT or TCT) since the heads/cylinder walls are the primary target in heat soaking issues. The The Aeroforce gauge, under Platform 4, there are 3 scan options related related to this topic (other than tranny temp, which it also has. They are listed as:

• Coolent
  • Head Temp 1
  • Head Temp 2

Here's the menu options ofr the Head Temps:
2012-01-14_12-32-49_353.jpg

I have the COOLANT temp being monitored in the top slot and either Head Temp 1 or 2 on the bottom (car was warming up when I took these so temps are still low):
2012-01-14_12-36-10_76.jpg

2012-01-14_12-35-51_22.jpg

So, my question's are:
> Shouldn't we be monitoring Head Temp as a primary check for heat issues?
> D0 you know if I'm correct that Head Temp 1 and Head Temp 2 are the CHT's for the left and right bank ?
> Do you have any clue why Head Temp 1 reads such a low value? Head Temp 2 values always seem realistic and have been running just a little bit (3 - 4 degrees for the most part) above coolant temp, which seems to make sense.

I don't get valid #s with Head temp 1 or 2. I don't think there are sensors for it to read. I use Coolant and I'm told that's really CHT. The others I monitor are IAT (which is usually within 5 degrees of ambient unless idling) and occasionally A/F bank 1 and 2. It seems like I was able to read more parameters on my '07 GT500 than I can with the Boss. It seems Ford chose to keep the price down by saving money on senders we could have used for tracking the car. (e.g. oil pressure, oil temp, trans temp, diff temp, etc.)

Good to know. I'll be hitting you guys up for install tips next weekend.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Seems weird since I do get (what appears to be) good temps on Head Temp 2 - slightly higher than coolant.. I'l ltake this up with AeroForce and post back what I come up with.

Mark W - can you prvide some insight on these channels in the OBD interface (coolant/head temp 1/head temp2) and how the ECU manages them in the Boss 302R engine ?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel