The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Crate Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browsing the FordRacingParts.com website yesterday and checked out the modular crate engines currently available and was kind of surprised to see the Boss crate engine is no longer available, which itwas not to long ago. Now your choices are the 3 different versions of the Aluminator, 1 full on Aluminator motor Part# M-6007-A50XS, 1 Aluminator motor with Boss internals 11:1 compression and regular GT intake Part# M-6007-A50NA and 1 Aluminator low GT intake and low compression for supercharging purposes Part# M-6007-A50SC.

I called the tech line and talked to one of the reps. about no longer offering the Boss crate motor and he said the ones they have left are going into race cars and the only option available in the case of engine failure on our Bosses would be to go with the Part# M-6007-A50NA and swap over the intake as the internals are the same, and he went on to add that the pistons and rods are improved versions of what came originally in our Boss. You would also have to swap over the oil pan as well to get out larger version.

Kind of disappointed and discouraged to find this information out as I had to have my engine swapped out under warranty as it was an early run 2012 that developed a knock. Seems that our cars were in fact a 2 year run and now it seems that applies to our motors as well.

BadPony said:
Kind of disappointed and discouraged to find this information out as I had to have my engine swapped out under warranty as it was an early run 2012 that developed a knock. Seems that our cars were in fact a 2 year run and now it seems that applies to our motors as well.

Price of exclusivity! In any event, if you had to replace the motor, your car would no longer be numbers matching and my numbers matching GT will be worth more. :p

Do you honestly think I did not think of that and bring that up when they had to swap out the motor. It was brought to my attention that there are longer V.I.N. #'s on our blocks so it would be hard to tell if the motor was swapped.

Hmm, I knew FRPP hadn't selling Boss 302 crate motors for quite a while, but no (or very few) replacement motors available even for warranty replacement... that's concerning. May have to think about buying a crate Aluminator motor to put in my Boss for track day/HPDE purposes, and preserve the original Boss motor.

Why are you guys so concerned about keeping the original motor if it ends up shitting the bed and they offer a better replacement?

according to the tech you spoke to if the new engine has the same but improved internal components then why are they using our boss engines just a thought.

mustang920 said:
according to the tech you spoke to if the new engine has the same but improved internal components then why are they using our boss engines just a thought.

Ford's got to make money somehow. They aren't going to come out with something better and replace what you currently have, otherwise everyone would be driving around in 65 coupe's with 5.8 Trinity motors in them.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I believe there is a requirement/law which requires a auto manufacturer to provide spare parts for a number of years. I believe it's seven years.

No requirement to provide exact replacement, just spare parts.

Since one of the stout aluminator engines would be very close and as long as heads are available, Ford is good.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I was going to do an Aluminator long block, but with the announcement of new heads cast with larger ports and valves for the 2015 and a Boss forged lower end, that may be a cost effective replacement. Buying through Ford Service Parts is usually cheaper than through Ford Racing distributors.
Steve

Aas long as you have original paperwork stating that FORD swapped your engine, I dont see a problem as a collector, if you are going that route. I havee a 71 Mercedes 280Sl, it was very common for those engines to go bad in the first couple of months, and they replaced it with a new block and paperwork. These cars are still selling at normal prices around $50,000. no difference if its a swap or not

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
I was going to do an Aluminator long block, but with the announcement of new heads cast with larger ports and valves for the 2015 and a Boss forged lower end, that may be a cost effective replacement. Buying through Ford Service Parts is usually cheaper than through Ford Racing distributors.
Steve

Be careful there--the (limited) literature for the 5.0 in the 2015 GT says forged crank and sinter forged rods (same as we have) but does not make any mention of forged pistons--which is a key piece of the puzzle for long-term reliability/track use/mods etc.

ArizonaBOSS said:
As long as they keep making the heads, you can build a BOSS engine.
As far as I am aware you aren't even able to get a Boss rotating assembly any more either.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Be careful there--the (limited) literature for the 5.0 in the 2015 GT says forged crank and sinter forged rods (same as we have) but does not make any mention of forged pistons--which is a key piece of the puzzle for long-term reliability/track use/mods etc.
That has me puzzled, according to the literature it says that they have revised high strength piston head. I guess that Ford did some testing and found that the new piston heads would be able to hold up to the abuses as well as the forged crank and rods. Hopefully the pistons will be able to hold up to the abuses this way guys wouldn't have to open up the engine just to put piston heads in the car to handle the amount of boost that they will be throwing at it. We all know that when someone decides to throw a supercharger or turbocharger on their car they usually go almost to the maximum capabilities of the internals.

I am still trying to find the article, but from what I remember reading the piston redesign is for valve clearance but is not forged.

Hard call on the new motor vs. a NA Aluminator until we know more detailed specs. But, I would not be surprised if the Aluminator gets a refresh that includes the new heads. That could be the best of both worlds. True forged rods and pistons with better breathing.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sean said:
As far as I am aware you aren't even able to get a Boss rotating assembly any more either.
That has me puzzled, according to the literature it says that they have revised high strength piston head. I guess that Ford did some testing and found that the new piston heads would be able to hold up to the abuses as well as the forged crank and rods. Hopefully the pistons will be able to hold up to the abuses this way guys wouldn't have to open up the engine just to put piston heads in the car to handle the amount of boost that they will be throwing at it. We all know that when someone decides to throw a supercharger or turbocharger on their car they usually go almost to the maximum capabilities of the internals.

My guess on the revised pistons they have is to eliminate the ringland failures found in the infamous "#8" cylinder failure issues with the 2011 and 2012 GTs.

NJ
SVTPerformance site had specs on the revised motor indicating new pistons were required to clear the valves:

Larger intake valves
Larger exhaust valves
Revised intake camshafts
Revised exhaust camshafts
Stiffer valve springs – ensures that the valves close completely at high rpm
New cylinder-head casting – revised ports that provide a straighter path to the valves for less-restrictive intake and exhaust flow; combustion chamber modifications accommodate larger valves
Sinter forged connecting rods – lighter and more durable for high-rpm operation
Redesigned piston tops – deeper cutouts clear the new larger valves
Rebalanced forged crankshaft – supports higher-rpm operation

TMO Supporting Vendors