The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Desire..Problems..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, I'm 19 years old and I'm dying to have a Boss 302 but I heard you can't get an automatic, which makes sense it's like castrating bull's nuts or a V6 Mustang, but where am I going to learn how to drive manual and I surely don't want to learn on a brand new car. I have one question do rental companies like Entreprise keep manual transmission equipped vehicles in their lots, or theres too many people like me who want to learn on them?

I would appreciate any answers or advice.

Thanks.

GA
I was 41 years old when I wanted to buy my 2008 Bullitt which only came in a stick and I only drove automatics my whole life. My fiancee did not want me to get it so she would not help me and told me if I wanted it I had to get it home myself. I wanted it bad enough, so I did. My dealer salesman spent a few hours teaching me and after several hours of painful practice I got it home 12 miles away. She felt sorry for me and spent some time with me the next day, but it took about a scary month for me to learn well enough to not look like an idiot. The scariest part about learning stick is getting off hills and also losing the reaction time of your 2nd nature of driving. Three years later I am driving like a pro and even on road courses now. A manual is the only way to drive a Mustang IMHO (I also owned an auto Mustang so I know). The dealer salesman always tells my story when someone is afraid to buy a manual car.

However, I can give you this benefit of my experience: the Boss is even beefier than the Bullitt and that was hard enough. When you make a mistake the power punishes you. I don't know if this car is the right one for you to start off since you could hurt yourself and someone else, not to mention cause some expensive damage to the car ( and/or someone elses). Buy a cheaper used manual Mustang, beat the crap out of it, then go buy a Boss next year. However it is your (or Daddy's maybe) money, so that is just my opinion. Welcome to the forum. ;D

As far as finding a rental car to practice on I tried to do the same and could never find anyone who had a stick car (or anyone who would let me practice on theirs). Since you got money take a vacation to Europe and rent one there, since that is mostly what they have. ;)

Driving a stick is really different, so be patient. You have to re-learn much of how your learned to drive in an automatic. The first tough part is learning how to get going without stalling out, the second tough part which takes more practice is starting off hills, and the third toughest part which takes much longer to learn is proper downshifting (especially in performance driving).

I really do wish you the best of luck with it and learn because you won't regret it! I wish I had learned 20 years ago.

I'm buying a Boss specifically so my kids will have a stick shift car to learn how to drive on when they turn 16. Or at least that's what my son thinks. :D

Good luck trying to find a rental to learn on, I'm sure you'll find one.

5 DOT 0 said:
I'm buying a Boss specifically so my kids will have a stick shift car to learn how to drive on when they turn 16. Or at least that's what my son thinks. :D
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You're braver than me. My 19 year old and 16 year old have been begging to learn how to drive the GT500. I just don't have the guts to let them learn to drive stick on a 750 hp (flywheel) car. Bad things.

The Boss maybe. I'll definitely consider it especially without the supercharger.

5 DOT 0 said:

Good luck trying to find a rental to learn on, I'm sure you'll find one.

Brave man! I told mine they will be lucky if they get to ride in the car ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
You need to find a mate that makes MORE money than you. ;)
haha amen, could use a Sugar Momma! My lady might not appreciate that however :)

TMO Supporting Vendors