The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS differences vs. the GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
PJWANNABE said:
I bought a Brembo GT because I couldn't afford what a Boss cost at the time they were new. In some ways it was a better choice for me as a daily driver/track car/show car and it is no slouch. A Boss is a Boss though, as the whole is more than the sum of its parts. :) I will get one eventually.

Ty Webb: Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Sorry...your slouch comment got me :). I don't think any members here take any issue with a track pack GT...not being a capable car.....you are in safe company here.

Wayne

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Just the clutch. And after testing a friends new TP GT, the clutch feels waaay lighter. And that's 4 different opinions from 4 drivers testing between that car and a '13 GT back to back. I bet it's a new part number, and a better unit. It's a shame that some parts get revised or upgraded reeeeeally quietly. I bet this is the clutch that will be found in the '15 GTs.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
tigerbillsbikes said:
In addition to all the great differences through out the car, how about the Boss 302 has a Vin number that says it is a Boss 302 where as the GT has a Vin that says otherwise.

Good point, and we will always be able to tell a real Boss by it's unique "U" code engine. For me, this sealed the deal and I had to order a Boss 302 Mustang.

Be Safe,
Dave
2HP

Is the under body plastic cover for improved aerodynamics also unique to the Boss?

Does make for a bit of a longer oil change, for those that do their own.

blacksheep-1 said:
Ford has been extremely fair with warranties for their performance cars for quite awhile. They were extremely liberal with their old New Edge Cobra series cars from 99-04. It's nice to see that from a car company, it also encourages a lot of respect and loyalty from the consumer.

That's not my experience with my '01 Cobra. I traded that piece of junk Cobra in to the Chevy dealer when it was only five months old because I could not get the Ford dealer to fix it even after acknowledging it's issues. The Boss 302 was the first time I trusted Ford again with a performance car and what do I get...an MT82 that needed to be rebuilt three times before it was replaced, something like 10 weeks in service in the first two years of ownership. Terrible dealership service and Ford of Canada's terrible warranty policies pretty much ensure that I've bought my last Ford.

Boss0960 said:
That's not my experience with my '01 Cobra. I traded that piece of junk Cobra in to the Chevy dealer when it was only five months old because I could not get the Ford dealer to fix it even after acknowledging it's issues. The Boss 302 was the first time I trusted Ford again with a performance car and what do I get...an MT82 that needed to be rebuilt three times before it was replaced, something like 10 weeks in service in the first two years of ownership. Terrible dealership service and Ford of Canada's terrible warranty policies pretty much ensure that I've bought my last Ford.

I will chime in to say that Ford was good with me as well in replacing the long block on my Boss when it was obviously consuming more oil than it should. Took some time, but in the end they did the right thing. Not sure why Ford would rebuild the tranny 3 times; would have been cheaper I'm sure to just replace it on the 2nd problem. I do feel your feel your pain re: down time, between taking it in to get looked at, to the actual work, it does take quite a bit of time. Who was the dealer that did the work? Private message me if you don't feel comfortable sharing here......I'm curious to know if it was the same dealer I dealt with.

Macker said:
Who was the dealer that did the work? Private message me if you don't feel comfortable sharing here......I'm curious to know if it was the same dealer I dealt with.
I'm in Canada. I also used more than one dealer to achieve a less than satisfactory result.

I know there were major upgrades to the Boss and much smaller numbers produced. Also the cool factor was increased by amounts that can't be calculated. But this has all been discussed in length in past discussions. I'm just curious what happened to Mark who started this thread way back when. When I came on board he was already gone?

Mark had some personal things happen and he never purchased a Boss.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Another Boss 302 production difference was that in 2012 Ford painted the rear differential housing black and the 2012 GT had a natural rear differential finish, (rusty).

The book in our Boss Owners kit tells a story about the under carriage cam at the Barrett-Jackson Auction and Mr. Farley didn't like seeing the rusty rear diff housing on the 2012 Grabber Blue LS being sold for charity.

Glad they did that and saved me the trouble of doing it myself on my 2012 KB Boss 302.

302 Hi Pro

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
302 Hi Pro said:
Another Boss 302 production difference was that in 2012 Ford painted the rear differential housing black and the 2012 GT had a natural rear differential finish, (rusty).

The book in our Boss Owners kit tells a story about the under carriage cam at the Barrett-Jackson Auction and Mr. Farley didn't like seeing the rusty rear diff housing on the 2012 Grabber Blue LS being sold for charity.

Glad they did that and saved me the trouble of doing it myself on my 2012 KB Boss 302.

302 Hi Pro
Pretty sure I noticed that *before* the book in the owners kit was released:
Grant 302 said:
The list is missing a big difference...PAINT on the axle tubes!

But the rust on my GT serves a purpose..it holds the diff fluid really well. :eek: ;D

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Grant 302 said:
Pretty sure I noticed that *before* the book in the owners kit was released:
But the rust on my GT serves a purpose..it holds the diff fluid really well. :eek: ;D

Grant:

Yes, indeed you did. I have some work to do on my rear suspension in the near future and was looking under there trying to see if I needed to order anything more and it reminded me about the rear diff paint story and Jim Farley's concern about the diff housing rust on the 2012 Mustang. Dare I say ("At the time".)

Thanks for sharing and sorry that I missed your original post on that.

All the Best,
302 Hi Pro

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I see in tasca that the rear muffler part numbers for the GT and Boss are different. DR3Z-5230 for the GT, CR3Z-5230 for the Boss. Does any one know what the difference is??

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Second insert/tip?? I got a little lost... Is it just the tip thats different??

Here is a pic of the Boss muffler
33c2f48d132464158f97bbff24ac1d90.jpg

And here is the GT one....

66e4588defadeaef5edb14ab850f9b00.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors