The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS DYNOED with Black Key and Red Key, Red Key SPARK-KNOCKING BAD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
rpm3dinc said:
That's just it, its not the Dealer (Who is a Ford Racing Dealer), they are willing to do it, but since it would be a Warranty fix, they have to notify and call the Main Office for Ford Racing... Its the Main Ford Racing Office that said "Don't Touch it, its fine"...
its not warranty work. It's an unfinished install. They should have read the directions. I would just pay the hour of labor and have the adjustment made. You can get autolite plugs for 2.50 a plug and super easy to swap yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where does it say in the Instructions to do that?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

All I see is the paragraph about "Slight Pinging is normal".

I hear slight "pinging" on engine acceleration from low speed. Should I be alarmed?
• TracKey alters the ignition timing and knock sensor calibrations taking full
advantage of premium fuel to deliver the maximum torque and throttle response
available from the engine. Some slight "pinging" on acceleration from low engine
speed may be audible initially but should rapidly subside.

Nothing in that Instruction Document for the TracKey or in the Dealer Installation Instructions (that comes with the TracKey Documents that I have) says anything about an Octane Adjust feature... So where is that coming from?

rpm3dinc said:
Where does it say in the Instructions to do that?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

All I see is the paragraph about "Slight Pinging is normal".

I hear slight "pinging" on engine acceleration from low speed. Should I be alarmed?
• TracKey alters the ignition timing and knock sensor calibrations taking full
advantage of premium fuel to deliver the maximum torque and throttle response
available from the engine. Some slight "pinging" on acceleration from low engine
speed may be audible initially but should rapidly subside.

Nothing in that Instruction Document for the TracKey or in the Dealer Installation Instructions (that comes with the TracKey Documents that I have) says anything about an Octane Adjust feature... So where is that coming from?
Look in FAQ's for "What if customer complains of excessive pinging?"

http://fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Dealer_Technician_Instructions_V2.2.pdf

This explains what the dealer needs to do to activate octane adjust.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
http://fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Dealer_Technician_Instructions_V2.2.pdf

Bottom of page 12.
What if a customer complains about excessive pinging?
 Verify that only 91 or higher octane fuel is in the fuel tank.  Verify coolant mixture is at least 50% water.  Verify that oil consumption is not excessive. If it is, there may be oil in the intake
manifold which is causing the pinging.  If pinging persists, perform steps 1 through 10, then steps 17 through 19.
Instead of asking for a voucher ID, the system will recognize that the PCM has already been programmed with Ford Racing software and will present the following choices:
 Select "Change octane adjust, tire size and/or axle ratio", click "Next Step", and then complete steps 23 through 31 but select "Yes" in step 24 when asked "Do you wish to activate octane adjust?". Finally, complete steps 35 through 41.
 If customer complaint is still present, call the Ford Racing Techline at 1-800- FORD-788.

Stupid Question now, I have looked at all my Original TracKey Docs, and it just says V2.0 So since this new Document says V2.2 does that mean I have an old version of the TracKey Tune? Or did the install instructions just change afterwards?

V2.2 difference is just for 13 models different display than 12 , trackey key functions and tune is no different between V2 and V2.2

Go book an appointment and pay the hour outta of your own pocket and get them to change the octane adjust setting.

Get back to us with your fix :)

rpm3dinc said:
OK, I will print this and take to my dealer and see what they say... Thanks! I didn't have this 2.2 document only had 2.0 document

did you get your car to the dealer yet?

Yes, They want me to re-dyno it to see if it was just the gas (since I am on 3rd tank of BP gas that they suggested) before we go any further... If it still is spark-knocking then they will do the "Octane Adjust" setting, and call Ford Racing Tech and see what other options there are...

rpm3dinc said:
Yes, They want me to re-dyno it to see if it was just the gas (since I am on 3rd tank of BP gas that they suggested) before we go any further... If it still is spark-knocking then they will do the "Octane Adjust" setting, and call Ford Racing Tech and see what other options there are...

any news?

Due to Weather I haven't been able to make it to the Dyno... Hopefully this weekend or next...

If its still knocking then I go back to Ford about it.. if its not, then perhaps all this was just bad gas... (thats what I am hoping for).

Had the BOSS Dynoed again today... 397HP, and it was still knocking but now at 6,400 RPM and not as bad of a knock... Also 2 other BOSSes dynoed right after me, 1 on the black key No problems, and other on the TracKey (Knock at 5,500 RPM)... So my conclusion is there will always be some knocking with the Red Key, The Timing is either off a little on the TracKey, or since it seems to disable the Knock Sensors or something it allows it be default...

Note, the other bosses were bone stock as well, and they ran similar numbers... So I guess its nothing I can call FORD out on, especially since the other one with the TracKey did the same thing...

As far as what to do about, I guess I will do nothing at this point, but perhaps once the BOSS is out of warranty, I will get it Dyno-Tuned to get rid of any issues and do some upgrades (Headers, Cat Deletes)..

spark knock sucks, period.. I hate it :mad:
seriously I would get the octane adjust setting done if you plan on using the trackey, when I get my car out of storage in May I`m gonna get it done. I called Ford racing last year about the issue and they recommended to do it.

Spark knock is not good, if you got a custom tune from any well known tuner and you had detonation and they told you it was normal they would be outta business and everyone would be saying shitty tune stay away. Trackey doesnt give any real hp gains so I would rather zero knock and be able to drive with trackey all the time.

I am going to go to my Ford Racing Dealer and see if they will adjust that... But I am not sure it will make a difference, only way to tell is to have the car re-dynoed...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel