The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Engine block tag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

If I am remembering correctly when Boss owners had to have their engines replaced wasn't there a tag that people were alsways saying to make sure that the dealer swaps out or something like that? I am not certain if my memory is fuzzy or not but I am pretty sure there was some sort of identifier on the blocks.

Did you blow yours?

I took a look under my 2012 Boss LS on my hoist and took pics of the VIN matching Engine and Transmission. The Engine is on the rear drivers side of the block and the Transmission is on the drivers side as well both etched in a flat area on the cast. So they definitely matched them on the Bosses.
I can't remember how to add pics or I would add them.

Flyboygsxr said:
Stock tune or aftermarket? I am sticking with the stock tune because it seems everyone who loses a motor has an after market tune.

It was on the stock tune although I did have an aftermarket tune on it. I took the aftermarket tune off the car trying to get the check engine light to come on as a result of a different problem I was having.

NFSBOSS said:
Bummer. Will it be covered under warranty?

I don't think so. When I got the car from the dealer they told me the warranty was only valid for 6 more months and they called me just to let me know the warranty expired on the car. I'm not sure how that happened but even still since there is a strong likely hood that it is Rod Knock they are just going to tell me I ran the car without oil in it even though when I pulled the dipstick the oil line was at the half way mark.

Either way though I plan on taking out the engine and building it up to get as close to the 550 mark as I can so I am using this as an excuse to add some bigger parts (3.700 bore block) and cams to the mix and see how much power I can make.

NOLIMIT said:
Tks now I remember!

Engine

Transmission
TransmissionVIN.jpg

How I checked...every gradge needs one of these !!
photo2.jpg

This is awesome! Thanks David
hi.gif

I like your garage and I agree ever garage should have one .... so can I borrow yours
shiftyeyesxg7.gif

BOSS X

Texas
Sean said:
It was on the stock tune although I did have an aftermarket tune on it. I took the aftermarket tune off the car trying to get the check engine light to come on as a result of a different problem I was having.

I don't think so. When I got the car from the dealer they told me the warranty was only valid for 6 more months and they called me just to let me know the warranty expired on the car. I'm not sure how that happened but even still since there is a strong likely hood that it is Rod Knock they are just going to tell me I ran the car without oil in it even though when I pulled the dipstick the oil line was at the half way mark.

Either way though I plan on taking out the engine and building it up to get as close to the 550 mark as I can so I am using this as an excuse to add some bigger parts (3.700 bore block) and cams to the mix and see how much power I can make.

IIRC, Powertrain warranty is 60 months/60,000 miles. Good luck dealing with Ford.

BOSS X said:
IIRC, Powertrain warranty is 60 months/60,000 miles. Good luck dealing with Ford.

When I bought my car the dealer or whoever the person was on the phone had said I only had 6 months left on my warranty and about 6 months later I got a phone call Saint that the warranty expired and asking if I was sure that I didn't want to get into an extended warranty plan.

Just as an FYI here is what it sounds like lol. Sorry for the potato quality video I was making the video to send it as a text and it makes you use the lowest quality available.

http://s579.photobucket.com/user/fordfan7689/media/20140914_143224_zpsbc3afb89.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Yeah that definitely sounds like a spun rod bearing. Not sure why they would have told you that your warranty was up in 6 months. The powertrain is covered for 5 years or 60k miles. I would check with the dealer, they may have been referring to the bumper to bumper which only lasts 36 months.

Good luck

TMO Supporting Vendors