The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

boss engine in 2014 gt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrongway said:
Do you guys think that our boss engine may be the standard engine in the new mustang GT coming in 2014?
I thought the coyote engine was standard already in the 2011 GT. Just the intake and tune are different. Dunno

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I read the 2015 (out in early 2014 like the Boss) will be the 50th anniversary model with a complete redesign. I'm about to pull the trigger on an order for a F-150 with EcoBoost to replace my '08 so I can upgrade to an enclosed trailer. I wonder if this new turboed direct injection engine design will become the norm with all the CAFE restrictions. It looks like they could make big power with this engine on the Mustang, but I'm not sure they can retain the muscle car sound.

The standard 5.0 in the GT and the 5.0 in the Boss 302 are two different animals. The Boss 302 has forged pistons and rods, no oil squirters, different heads (cnc ported, different exhaust cams and valves) as well as the intake manifold. There may also be a stronger crankshaft but I'm not sure about that.

2014 is the 50th anniversary of the Mustang.

2014 may be a direct injected 5.0

BOSS 1276 said:
The standard 5.0 in the GT and the 5.0 in the Boss 302 are two different animals.
They're the same animal just a different breed. ;)

I'm thoroughly enjoying the current breed and highly doubt the Boss engine will end up as the base engine in the next Mustang. The engine costs too much to build to be included as the base V8.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
BOSS 1276 said:
The standard 5.0 in the GT and the 5.0 in the Boss 302 are two different animals.
They're the same animal just a different breed. ;)

I'm thoroughly enjoying the current breed and highly doubt the Boss engine will end up as the base engine in the next Mustang. The engine costs too much to build to be included as the base V8.

I agree- the Boss engine would be overkill and too costly to be a staple engine for the GT. Since Ford did mention a HP upgrade I could see them using the Boss intake and beefing up a couple of internal things as necessary, but the standard GT engine was never designed to be raced for long periods. Even in the 2010 Mustang GT where many stated that it was essentially an 08/09 Bullitt on the inside, the specs were similar but not exactly the same (like the redline not being 6500 RPM like the Bullitt). With the global design input and launch of the next generation, I expect to see something turbo charged.

Some of the 2013 styling changes that are being discussed like changes to the front and rear might amp up MY2013 sales and make MY2012 sales fall off a cliff after the reveal in November. It might create a window to snatch up a 2012 Boss with some incentives.

cloud9 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I read the 2015 (out in early 2014 like the Boss) will be the 50th anniversary model with a complete redesign. I'm about to pull the trigger on an order for a F-150 with EcoBoost to replace my '08 so I can upgrade to an enclosed trailer. I wonder if this new turboed direct injection engine design will become the norm with all the CAFE restrictions. It looks like they could make big power with this engine on the Mustang, but I'm not sure they can retain the muscle car sound.
My 2 cents: Boss engine in a GT - no. Redesign in 2015 MY: I 've heard that several places as well. Redesign will be done with revised fuel mileage requirements in mind. V-8 will be gone. Twin-turbo V6 will replace it. 2015 Mustang will be smaller, lighter than current S197 iteration. But, it will probably be just as fast as what we have now if not faster and will get 32 MPG if you keep a raw egg under the accelerator pedal.

TMO Supporting Vendors