The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss engine oil ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bit of advice please;

My 12 Boss does use/burn some oil, and as its due an oil change is it better to use a thicker 10w40 now its got 10.000 miles on it?
Or must the Boss have its 5w50 ?

And how many litres are needed for a full change?

Thanks in advance!

I would stick with factory specs, in case of any warranty problems.
8.5 qts

My Boss did the same thing for awhile. It was in my second year of owning it. Dealer & I monitored it for a few months and it Stopped all on its own.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland
how much use your boss in 1000 miles? my ghig use sometimes about 1q at 1000miles and the laguna never use oil.

i would use ONLY 5W50!!

Brit,
First of all, I thinks it's cool as hell that you have a boss out there on the Island!!

2nd of all, stick with 5w-50. Your boss needs this viscosity and the cam phasing algorithms are created with this oil viscosity in mind. Stay away form any advice that telling you to run one type of viscosity on the street and another on the track; pure rubbish. Run 5w-50 and move on to bigger and better things. I know that Mobil 1 and Castrol are available to you in the UK; if you can find Driven FR50, that's as good as it gets.

That being said, 10W-40 is actually thinner than 5W-50. Think of the first number (5W for example) as a golf score. The "W' stands for winter. The lower the number, the better/faster it flows when cold. The second number is the oil's viscosity at 100C. The higher the number, the "thicker" the oil. Make sense?

Thanks,
BT

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Who's burning a quart every 1000 miles. That seems excessive. Maybe lose a teaspoon every thousand miles.

and I'll jump on the 5W50 bandwagon but have used both Mobile One and Motorcraft.

Thanks for the replies guys.
There are not many Boss's here in England. I think there might be 18 known about examples, But then not everyone joins a car club or attends car shows.
I did think the cams would require a specific viscosity, So I'll stick with the 5w50.
I have put 6000 miles on it in two years, its not a DD anyway! So if it uses oil, no probs!
I did a trip to Stuttgart in Germany last year, put a litre in as i left, did 1500 miles and put in 2 more litres and its now back where I started on the dipstick.
It averaged just under 20 miles per US Gallons on the evic & in reality checking tank to tank refills. And that included a run from Frankfurt to Stuttgart reaching 155mph. 125 miles on the Autoahn should have taken 2 hours according to the navi, but I cracked it in around 1 hour 20 mins... lots of it being unrestricted ....!
I'll get the oil & filter changed and keep a check on it. Hell, it might have had the wrong oil put in it before I got it... never thought of that!

Over here Millers & Morris Lubricants are very highly rated. I'ved used both in race car engines without trouble.

k98dave said:
I"m curious just who exactly makes the FR50 for JGR? It has to start with one of the refinery companies, for example I verified that Motorcraft's 5w50 is actually made by Conoco Phillips
The base mPOA, Synfluid®(metallocene polyalphaolefins) is made by ChevronPhillips LLC. This company is co-owned by Chevron and Phillips but the products manufactured are not Havoline or Conoco Phillips products. I'm only stating this so that people understand that the oil is sold by Driven is not rebranded Chevron or Conoco product in anyway shape or form. Please don't assume that. In addition, Exxon (Mobil) makes their own version of mPAO, SpectraSyn Elite , (but it is not the same formulation) and is not used by Driven Racing oil.

The base oil is then blended by Lubrizol. Lubrizol makes most of the additives (stabilizers, Antioxidants, ect.) that go into most brands of lubricants. Lubrizol is actually the name listed on the MSDS.

The mPAO is really cool. It has a really high viscosity index to start from (as a base before blending). There are a lot of high viscosity index oils on the market, but most of them shear down because the high viscosity numbers are reached by adding large amounts of viscosity improver. These improvers actually wear out (think Motorcraft) over a few drive cycles on the oil thins out in a short amount of time. Blending your oil with a base that already has a high VI to begin with makes for a shear stable oil that won't loose viscosity or "shear down" between oil changes. mPAO also has way better anti-foaming properties that PAO, very important in engines with variable cam timing. In short mPAO really blows PAO out of the water and raises the bar. This is a good thing.

FR50 was literally tailor made to protect and help coyote motors excel. Driven is the only oil company that I know of that blends oils targeted for specific motors and then in turn sells it to the public. This type of technology flow of development usually only happens at the pinnacle of motor racing like F1 or Nascar (not to compare the 2 series) where the oils are boutique exotic blends only to be used by race teams. In addition, Driven adds storage protection (technology developed to store military equipment for years without rust) into the FR50 which is real important to me since my Boss is not a daily driver....

I'm sold on the stuff. By the way, I don't work for them, I'm just a really big nerd when it comes to doing research regarding my Boss. There was and is so much BS and misinformation regarding engine oil that I went and did my own homework to end up on deciding which oil to use.

k98dave said:
Interesting info, I'll give it a try if I can find some, but I'm certain you can't go wrong with Motorcraft's 5w/50 which first appeared as unique to the 2010 GT500's.

Actually motorcraft 5w-50 goes back to the return of the ford GT and made its first appearance in a mustang in the 2007 gt500. See, I'm a nerd

Here is some test data, it was run on Motorcraft 5w/50 and Driven 5w30 a few years ago. I could not find data for Driven 5w50

Wear protection ranking are:
• Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection
90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection
75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection
60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection
Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

5W30 Joe Gibbs Driven LS30 Performance Motor Oil, synthetic = 104,487 psi
The bottle says it is formulated specifically for high output GM LS engines, and that no ZDDP or additives required. This is by far, the best performing Joe Gibbs oil I’ve ever tested. It is at the very top of the OUTSTANDING wear protection category, and fell just short of the INCREDIBLE wear protection category.
zinc = 1610 ppm
phosphorus = 1496 ppm
moly = 0 ppm
calcium = 3515 ppm
TBN = 8.8
This oil contains sufficient amounts of the components required (detergent, acid neutralizer, etc) for normal change intervals in street driven vehicles. But, it has way too much zinc/phos for use in cat equipped vehicles. However, it is well suited for Race Cars, Street Hotrods and Classic cars.

5W50 Motorcraft, API SN synthetic = 103,517 psi
zinc = 606 ppm
phosphorus = 742 ppm
moly = 28 ppm
calcium = 1,710 ppm
TBN = 6.7

Interesting that some of the so called special racing oils like Royal Purple scored low, about 75000 psi

British Boss said:
Thanks for the replies guys.
There are not many Boss's here in England. I think there might be 18 known about examples, But then not everyone joins a car club or attends car shows.
I did think the cams would require a specific viscosity, So I'll stick with the 5w50.
I have put 6000 miles on it in two years, its not a DD anyway! So if it uses oil, no probs!
I did a trip to Stuttgart in Germany last year, put a litre in as i left, did 1500 miles and put in 2 more litres and its now back where I started on the dipstick.
It averaged just under 20 miles per US Gallons on the evic & in reality checking tank to tank refills. And that included a run from Frankfurt to Stuttgart reaching 155mph. 125 miles on the Autoahn should have taken 2 hours according to the navi, but I cracked it in around 1 hour 20 mins... lots of it being unrestricted ....!
I'll get the oil & filter changed and keep a check on it. Hell, it might have had the wrong oil put in it before I got it... never thought of that!

Over here Millers & Morris Lubricants are very highly rated. I'ved used both in race car engines without trouble.

That's far too high oil consumption. Get to your Ford dealer and get the car on an oil consumption watch. I received a complete new long block for my 12 Boss after it continued to use oil at a rate of about 1 litre per 1200-1400 kms. All covered under the drive train warranty. Others on this forum have had similar issues. I suspect my oil problem was in the head/valve train somewhere as the Dealer said compression tests on the cylinders all showed in spec.

What build number is your car? Mine was 749.

Good luck!

Macker said:
That's far too high oil consumption. Get to your Ford dealer and get the car on an oil consumption watch. I received a complete new long block for my 12 Boss after it continued to use oil at a rate of about 1 litre per 1200-1400 kms. All covered under the drive train warranty. Others on this forum have had similar issues. I suspect my oil problem was in the head/valve train somewhere as the Dealer said compression tests on the cylinders all showed in spec.

What build number is your car? Mine was 749.

Good luck!

I think the warranty is void once the car leaves the USA or Canada? Uk now gets rhd versions of the new Mustang, but they were never sold here prior to that officially.

"I think the warranty is void once the car leaves the USA or Canada? Uk now gets rhd versions of the new Mustang, but they were never sold here prior to that officially."

I don't think that's the case, nothing in any warranty fine print I'm aware of that says its only vaild in the States.
Not sure your oil consumption is out of line considering high speed/rpm long distance runs you described. Guess since its not a daily it would be hard to get a consistent measure. Usually Ford dealer would set up a test where they change the oil and mark the dip stick and then have it rechecked after every 1000 miles or so.
Not sure what Ford considers to be "within spec"

k98dave said:
"I think the warranty is void once the car leaves the USA or Canada? Uk now gets rhd versions of the new Mustang, but they were never sold here prior to that officially."

I don't think that's the case, nothing in any warranty fine print I'm aware of that says its only vaild in the States.
Not sure your oil consumption is out of line considering high speed/rpm long distance runs you described. Guess since its not a daily it would be hard to get a consistent measure. Usually Ford dealer would set up a test where they change the oil and mark the dip stick and then have it rechecked after every 1000 miles or so.
Not sure what Ford considers to be "within spec"

I was told that 1 litre of oil per 4800 kilometers was acceptable (Canada). I would suggest that the car be taken into a Ford dealer and an oil consumption watch be started. I wasn't very enthused by having to put a bunch of kms. on my Boss, but also didn't want to be left with a motor using an excessive amount of oil. In the end, it was the right decision as I received a new long block.....and it's no longer using oil.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My Boss uses about a 1/2 quart of oil for every hour its on the track, I can see quite a bit in my catch can. No quite sure where the rest went. In normal street driving the oil level is completely static. I imported my Boss as well to Chile. After asking all kinds of people at Ford about the warranty I just gave up. Was going to race the car any way. Ford USA says the local dealer should look at the car, but do not have too....... Local dealer says..... You bought and brought it.... Your problem.

Been using Mobil 1 5W/50 since the car was new.

You may have smoked off the oil in vapor (vapour?) on your high speed run. What is non-banzaii consumption like?

When I first started tracking my Trackpack 14 GT, it would use about 1/2-3/4 of a quart of oil on the first day of the weekend and then maybe a 1/4 quart on the second day. When I installed oil temperature gauge, I quickly learned I was getting that oil HOT!!! Buried the 280 F gauge in less than halfway into a 20 minute session. I quickly learned to manage the oil temp by controlling the RPMs. Its very responsive to short shifting @ 6K or so. Now I manage it enough keep it on the 280F gauge and my consumption is really low, like maybe a 1/4 quart in the 6 or so track days per oil change.

Always 5W50 MC oil for me so far.

Amsoil 5/50 signature series and Ea filter is what I use. It's rated for 700 hour change intervals. Loss of more than 1 oz. per 100 miles is excessive IMHO. Fords threshold is consumption greater than 1 qt. /900 miles. I used to own a livery service with town cars and some would use oil, (qt. in 2k to 3k), and some would use a couple of ounces. Both engines ran great lasted 500k miles and got the same gas mileage. The cars ran the "corridor of death", I-95 N.Y. To Boston with lots of July/August bumper to bumper traffic on the Van wyck Exp, cross Bronx, 95 Ct., G.W.B and were driven up to 1,500 miles per week. I would just change the oil when it was low a qt. and use that as a monitor.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel