The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

boss exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking at replacing the stock exhaust with the Magniflow catback competition series system. It allows you to keep the side exhaust. Is there measurable hp/ torque advantage? Do I need to do a recal of the tune just to do this mod? I am an old school hot rodder and am a little new to these kind of mods. Any input on this brand or this mod is helpful.

I'm waiting for Magnaflow (or bassani) to come up with a boss specific X - pipe that doesn't require cutting the original. I doubt you will see much from that kit other than sound.

maddog said:
I am looking at replacing the stock exhaust with the Magniflow catback competition series system. It allows you to keep the side exhaust. Is there measurable hp/ torque advantage? Do I need to do a recal of the tune just to do this mod? I am an old school hot rodder and am a little new to these kind of mods. Any input on this brand or this mod is helpful.
I'm an Old School hot rodder also; so....

I looked at replacing the stock exhaust. However, came to the conclusion that at this time I was real happy with the setup. I had the side restrictor plates removed and have the TracKey installed.

Without spending a huge amount and not wanting to have to worry about retuning, etc. I decided to replace just the Axle Backs.

I looked at a lot of AB's, all of the major manufacturers. You can find Youtube videos for comparisons, but after a while all the sounds online start to sound the same! I narrowed to 3; Borla, MRT and Roush. I really wanted louder from the tailpipes. I talked to my selling dealer in Orlando and found out that the dealer's son always drives 5.0's and he has replaced his demos with various brands of axle backs. His favorite and loudest (in their opinion) were the Roush.

So that's what I ordered, should be here soon. I will post results.

MagnaFlow is a great product and I've used them in the past. Have fun on your journey.

Smilieboy said:
Magnaflow just released a boss specific one.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?year=2013&make=Ford&model=Mustang&partnumber=15166
Yup this setup looks good :)
15166_lg.jpg

The general opinion of people I talk to about these Boss car is that there is very little you can do to get more hp especially without voiding the warrantee. I talked to the Ford racing tech line about a supercharger for the boss and they said due to the limited production they would not spend the r and d time for the tune for one. I think that a decent exhaust and cold air intake system could be worth something.
Just want to make sure I am getting some bang for my buck. Aftermarket companies are great for the car guy but the hp gains can some times be misleading. Trackey installed next weekend.

Sesshomurai

Smilieboy said:
Magnaflow just released a boss specific one.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?year=2013&make=Ford&model=Mustang&partnumber=15166

Is that compatible with the stock boss sidepipes?

I was looking at the Borla ATAK Exhaust, just replacing the Axle Backs, nothing else... But someone said that I would have to re-tune the car, which I am not willing to do since I have the Track Key installed and tuned. They said it would change the Air/Fuel Ratio with different Axel-backs... is this true?

Sesshomurai

rpm3dinc said:
I was looking at the Borla ATAK Exhaust, just replacing the Axle Backs, nothing else... But someone said that I would have to re-tune the car, which I am not willing to do since I have the Track Key installed and tuned. They said it would change the Air/Fuel Ratio with different Axel-backs... is this true?

Best as I can tell there are no sensors back of the axle....doesn't sound right to me. Others might know better.

Less back pressure in theory will lean it out a bit, but I've never seen a car have an issue with the tune based on axle backs. Heck I used to swap cat backs on my tuned turbo car frequently (for track days and fun runs vs driving in town) and my datalogging showed no significant difference in knock counts, and as discussed in the long tube thread, with the widebands it will compensate for some bolt ones. I wouldn't worry about it personally.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
What's the price on this bad boy and is it available currently? It looks like it isn't. This might be more up my alley than the Kooks, but I'm getting a pretty good deal on the H-pipe.

The Magnaflow catback system is currently available through Jegs or Summit for around $1400 shipped to me in washington.This is the one that lets you still use your side exhaust. If all would get is better sound from this system then I will just do axle backs.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Now that my GT500 mufflers have 'filled in' after 3k miles, they sound perfect. Low noise at low rpm cruising or taking it easy through your own neighborhood, satisfyingly loud when getting on it. Great growl on WOT and burble on decel. I've heard that Roush's are the way to go if you want raspy loud.

I would check out MRT before I purchased any exhaust. I have the Interceptor exhaust and Maxflow H pipe with the baffles removed from the side pipes. It sounds awesome. This exhaust makes the Boss sound like it should. It has a muscle car sound with no drone and is not obnoxiously loud. Call Scott for more details. He is a former Ford engineer and a great guy. You can check out his products at mrt-direct.com

TMO Supporting Vendors