The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi All,
Hoping that everything goes well, I will be an owner in Q3. I called State Farm to find out if the rate had been published, and it finally had, so I asked about coverage during HPDE and the agent checked with an underwriter and thought that I would not be covered. I said that I thought that if you were in a driver education session and not a timed situation or a competition, I thought, from what I have read on various forums, that coverage still extended. Does anyone have specific knowledge or experience of what State Farm's position is on this, I have been with them since I was 16 and would hate to leave over this. If not State Farm, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jason

Most insurance companies do not cover HDPE events. You can get additional coverage from another source.

my suggestion to you is don't keep insurance with state farm now and never, ever tell any normal insurance company you do anything on track. most of the big ones are known for dropping people if they find out you operate the car on a track.

track day insurance is crazy expensive, i roll without it personally. i don't know anyone that uses it. that said i know one of the forums had a guy get creamed by another drive in his boss so its up to you. i will never pay $200 to $300 for a single days track insurance.

MLM

Mike
There must be liability policies available for injury, but they are probably very expensive. Still, the risk of running without insurance is very high.

MLM

Mike
5 DOT 0 said:
BOSS1289 said:
Unfortunately, the insurances provided are only for property damage.
That's why you also want an umbrella policy.
I'm no expert, but I thought that umbrella policies only kick in when your regular liability insurance is exhausted, and for certain (but not all) other types of liability not covered under home/auto, which is why they are somewhat affordable even with high limits. I think riskier activities like racing are a different story requiring much higher premiums.

Getting this thread back on track...

I just bought TSW Nurburings in 18x9 and 18x9.5. I was sold at "21 lbs each."

I plan to wrap these in some meaty NT05s for street brawling. Now I just have to figure out what route (i.e. springs vs coilovers) I'm going to choose to close up the increased fender gap.

BlackNDecker said:
Getting this thread back on track...

I just bought TSW Nurburings in 18x9 and 18x9.5. I was sold at "21 lbs each."

I plan to wrap these in some meaty NT05s for street brawling. Now I just have to figure out what route (i.e. springs vs coilovers) I'm going to choose to close up the increased fender gap.

lol, i think you are in the wrong thread.

it's always interesting to me the differing opinions on track insurance. i'll probably never use it myself, at ECR crashes are few and far between. we are lucky in Texas, with so much space tracks rarely have anything to hit if you go off. worst thing that could happen is a busted tire, dinged rim, or cracked spoiler from curbing. i know in the north on tighter tracks with walls close to the racing surface insurance might make more sense. ive been off a couple times, i think anyone that tries to go fast will eventually. nothing worse than having to vacuum some grass and dirt out of the interior for me so far.

I bought track ins. for when I was at Spring Mtn with Team Shelby. It was about $125/day and had a $1900 deductable.

Hopefully not to sound as completely uninformed as I am, but what is an umbrella policy, I think I understand what it means by the context, but is that something that you add to your homeowners?

To insure, or not, is a matter of risk tolerance. I am risk averse, I guess. There are plenty of walls, and plenty of idiots on the road, and I assume some will make there way on to a track day event. I watched an older gentleman, being "taught/coached" how to drive Road Atlanta hit a Porsche on the passenger side door last week. Purely an accident, but happened in the esses, in no passing area. No walls there, but still danger. And turn 12 at Road Atlanta has a big wall that I swear was staring at me, and beckoning to me, everytime I came around! :)

TMO Supporting Vendors