The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss intake with 3.31 gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Hey guys.

I'm currently on the fence about switching intakes from a stock GT to a Boss intake. I currently have the stock 3.31 gears and i know you all have 3.73's or lower. Has anyone switched? any adverse reactions etc looking for advice or real world experience.

I ran this gearing this passed weekend at Laguna Seca. It is a soft gear as far as off corner speed, I don't have a Boss 302, it's a built GT with a Boss 302 Intake. I didn't have the off corner speed, gave up a little mid range pull. It was by no means slow over all. I was able to tap the brake in the braking zone and drive though the apex sooner under power. Mostly a 3rd gear track with 25.5 dia tires. I pulled 3rd from turn 5 all the way to turn six and just kiss 7500 rpm. at the braking zone, tap the brake turn, let the car take set and power at Apex meaning floored. 4th gear with a 25.5 tire should hit 130 mph, I only saw the bottom of 4th turn 2 and the cork screw. All the gears with the MT82 had nice long pulles, I also help with Heat both oil and water. I ran 220 on both all day, was shifting at 7500 all day. Not a bad gear over all you have to drive it different. Hope this helps.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I think 3.55's would be the perfect gearing. My 3.73's are too short for most tracks with my current redline. 3.31's would work well on short tires especially. Seriously debating putting in 3.55's in my car

Good luck!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Quick update... Intake is on and i love it. No loss of low end that i can feel and power has definitely increased shifting at around 7400 car is real happy. We have a track day in two weeks. Cant wait.

TMO Supporting Vendors