The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss motor good to 8400 RPM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is a statement made in an interview with the Boss' program manager with Mustangs Daily.

"More evidence of Ford’s devotion to the Boss is under the hood. Mike Harrisson, the Boss’ engine program manager, told us that the goal for the engine was 440 horsepower. As we’ve seen from the various performance shops around the country, this is a fairly easy achievement. Ford could have put on a cold air intake, added a calibration for 91 octane and called it a day. But they didn’t. The original Boss 302 was known for its high-revving V8, and Ford set about creating a true modern version of the legendary 5.0-liter engine. Nearly every component inside the engine has been replaced – cylinder heads, valves, valve springs, camshafts, pistons, connecting rods, bearings, crankshaft - with more stout parts that could handle the high RPMs. Most notably is the new intake manifold design that features shorter runners for improved air flow at high RPMs. The redline for the engine is set at 7500 rpm, but Harrisson told us it’s good up to 8400 rpm."

Will we see after-market tunes running the motor up to 8+ grand?

There were at least two reviews from the Boss media event that mentioned this. I'm sure they kept it to 7,500 to make sure the motors last 100,000 miles.

I wonder what the race teams run theirs up to?

They overbuilt the hell out of this motor. Can't help but wonder if the occasional foray to 8k would be -too- terrible...

5 DOT 0 said:
There were at least two reviews from the Boss media event that mentioned this. I'm sure they kept it to 7,500 to make sure the motors last 100,000 miles.

Mark said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Is that where TracKey goes? I read one of the reviews and they made it sound like they were at 7700 and hadn't hit the rev limiter.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
cloud9 said:
Mark said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Is that where TracKey goes? I read one of the reviews and they made it sound like they were at 7700 and hadn't hit the rev limiter.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me.

TMO Supporting Vendors