The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Mustang Brake Pad Compound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm wondering if anyone know what Carbotech or Hawk pad compound the Boss OEM pad is most like? I'm just curious as to how the pads are as delivered.

I run Carbotech HT10s or 12 on my race car, front, and a slightly less agressive compound on the rears. I've been using these pads, or sometimes a similar Hawk compound, for years and have a good idea what to expect from them, at least, I know what to expect from them on my 2600 lb SN95 on race tires.

I plan to use the Boss for an occasional VIR club day, or a club day down at CMP. The latter though, CMP is rough on brakes so I plan to fab up some cooling ducts for the rotors. But besides that, I suppose I'm looking to see what experiences any of you track regulars have had with the stock pads.

I would say that the front is inbetween an HPS and HP+
Rears bite like HPS, but have a ton of pad transfer when it gets too hot (and thus gets grabby and hard to modulate--the rear brake will still hold/trail off when you release the brake pedal completely).

For fast sweepy tracks (like Mosport), stock pads were great. Though anywhere else they are not going to cut it.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Ron Earp said:
I'm wondering if anyone know what Carbotech or Hawk pad compound the Boss OEM pad is most like? I'm just curious as to how the pads are as delivered.

I run Carbotech HT10s or 12 on my race car, front, and a slightly less agressive compound on the rears. I've been using these pads, or sometimes a similar Hawk compound, for years and have a good idea what to expect from them, at least, I know what to expect from them on my 2600 lb SN95 on race tires.

I plan to use the Boss for an occasional VIR club day, or a club day down at CMP. The latter though, CMP is rough on brakes so I plan to fab up some cooling ducts for the rotors. But besides that, I suppose I'm looking to see what experiences any of you track regulars have had with the stock pads.

The stock pads will wear out very quickly as well as fade on you, especially if you do not have brake cooling ducts. Many drivers have worn though the pads with 2 full days or less at a high speed track. Shoot me an email if you are interested in learning more about PAGID pads for the Boss (see email below on business card). I have options for combined street/track use as well as track only.

-Pete

Carbotech XP 12/10s work well on R-compound tires. I wouldn't run more pad on a street tire.

You may already know this, but if you do go with Carbotechs, make sure your rotors are new or resurfaced. Pagid or Hawk (other brands that are more abrasive) can remove your street pad transfer layer pretty easily with enough cold-temp braking. Carbotechs will get contaminated and shimmy after they make hotspots and leave deposits on the rotor.

Don't interchange Carbotech with other brands without resurfacing

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel