The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Mustang Brakes In Stock at KNS Brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I am trying to move away from slicks as they are harder on the car and on consumables. I just got a set of NT01, previously on Conti GTI's. I had been using Hawk DTC60's up front and 70's in the back. Only down side is they eat up rotors and only last me about 4 days. With a less sticky tire could I get away with something that would last a little longer and be easier on the wallet. My buddy uses Hawk HP Plus's and likes them though I have heard they aren't aggressive enough. Let me know what you think.

Adam

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Flyboygsxr said:
I am trying to move away from slicks as they are harder on the car and on consumables. I just got a set of NT01, previously on Conti GTI's. I had been using Hawk DTC60's up front and 70's in the back. Only down side is they eat up rotors and only last me about 4 days. With a less sticky tire could I get away with something that would last a little longer and be easier on the wallet. My buddy uses Hawk HP Plus's and likes them though I have heard they aren't aggressive enough. Let me know what you think.

Adam

In-between are Hawk HT-10. Very reasonable IMO for momentum style driving. Good control/modulation and release properties. Usable IMO on the street, and not to bad on the wear.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Grant 302 said:
In-between are Hawk HT-10. Very reasonable IMO for momentum style driving. Good control/modulation and release properties. Usable IMO on the street, and not to bad on the wear.

Not too worried about a pad being streetable just something that will last longer and not eat up my rotors so fast. I have tried Stoptech rotors and the stock rotors and found the stoptechs, though more expensive didn't last any longer.

I've used HP+ and they worked well, much better than stock, but I'm not sure how much heat they can take. They are not a full race pad though.

Adam

I would stay away from HP+, especially with the lap times you are running.

I think you will be chewing through pads quicker - it would be more expensive, and slower. Also, HP+ has really weird pad deposition on the rotors. Even with bedding them in properly, you will find weird vibrations and shimmying because of the uneven pad deposition.

HP+ is a decent beginner track pad, I started with them. Then never bought another set.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I was afraid of that. I have been running DTC 60 and 70's in the rear and I love them but they are so expensive. I got a set of NT01's that won't be as sticky as my Conti's so I was hopping with the reduced mechanical grip I could get away with a less aggressive pad.

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
Flyboygsxr said:
I haven't tried Carbotech's but I have heard good things about them. I have had a lot of success with the Hawks though.

Sounds like your best bet will be the Carobtech pads. XP12/10 would be your best bet, definitely wouldn't backtrack to the HP+ pads, those are more of a beginner/autox pad.

The 12/10 will be most similar to what your current Hawk set up was.

Carbotech pads are generally more rotor friendly than Hawks. Hawk pads can last longer but definitely more harsh on the rotors. Carbotech pads are softer, they usually won't last as long but they are more rotor friendly. It is possible you'll still be looking at 4 days with the XP12 pads.

And also, you said you have 60s front and 70s rear, that should be the other way around, 70s front and 60s rear. Please confirm.

Also, don't forget we have our Carbotech Coupon code for all you BMO users.

BMO5OFF

-Nick

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Berol said:
Adam

I would stay away from HP+, especially with the lap times you are running.

I think you will be chewing through pads quicker - it would be more expensive, and slower. Also, HP+ has really weird pad deposition on the rotors. Even with bedding them in properly, you will find weird vibrations and shimmying because of the uneven pad deposition.

HP+ is a decent beginner track pad, I started with them. Then never bought another set.

Didn't have any issues with pad deposits, but agree with everything else.

Flyboygsxr said:
I haven't tried Carbotech's but I have heard good things about them. I have had a lot of success with the Hawks though.

Just realized you're the one that posted about the poly bushing failure. I saw your vid and I'm changing my recommendation :p I think you should go with XP24/10 combo instead.
So far I've only had one season on the 24's, and they've lasted longer than the 10's. The 24 also provides a more aggressive bite, is easy on the rotors, but takes a bit longer to warm up.

I too used to use Hawk pads (on a corolla), and had a very similar experience with HPS and HP+. They went through rotors like crazy... even on a lighter car. After the HP+, I decided to change companies instead of going up the Hawk line, and haven't looked back. Also being a corolla, I didn't have a lot of pad choices, carbotech made custom pads, which made me feel special ::)

Do you carry any pads for a 2015 6 piston Brembo S550?

Looking for road course track pads to be more specific.

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
SCGT500 said:
Do you carry any pads for a 2015 6 piston Brembo S550?

Looking for road course track pads to be more specific.

Right now the only option is the Carbotech pads on the front. PM me and might be able to get you a set of rears made.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/2443_2015+Ford+Mustang+GT+w%2F+Perf.+Pkg.+-+6+Piston+Brembo//4_Race+Brake+Pads

-Nick

TMO Supporting Vendors