The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss OEM side pipe melt down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi, I heard a rather ratty sound from the exhaust today. When I went under the car I could see the flexible metal weave of the passenger side pipe was leaking considerably. Any suggestions on a more robust side pipe?? All I could find so far was the kooks system but thats not compatible with the OEM exhaust.

Mad Hatter said:
Hi, I heard a rather ratty sound from the exhaust today. When I went under the car I could see the flexible metal weave of the passenger side pipe was leaking considerably. Any suggestions on a more robust side pipe?? All I could find so far was the kooks system but thats not compatible with the OEM exhaust.

The new Kooks side pipes are compatible with stock. They are selling it on the website, but the pictures are yet to be updated. They impact ground clearance though.

Oh and the thing too is that they no longer have flex pipes on the Kooks versions....so there are less elements in the exhaust to compensate for driveline movement. Not sure how that affects the mounting points for the side pipes.

keep an eye out for someone selling Oem parts on the sites or ebay. There out there. also what about the Kooks side pipes. you can also buy a set of Blank discs from a member on this site. This way you can get rid of the leak untill you can locate some new pipes.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hahaha, not likely, I was disowned by Ford when I brought the car to Chile. No warranty of any kind. I think the damage occurred when I ran on a very hot day on the track, I got a heat warning, the car did not go into limp mode but it did back fire. The engine cooled down quickly in half a lap (about 30 seconds...) and then all was fine as far as the engine goes. I think the next morning is when the sound started.

Thought the Kooks side pipes only work for the Kooks special Boss type H pipe?

Mad Hatter said:
Thought the Kooks side pipes only work for the Kooks special Boss type H pipe?
The newly released Kooks redesigned sidepipes (3-piece unit) will fit the Boss 302 stock exhaust. Kooks increased the adjustability of the pipes by going from a 1-piece to a 3-piece unit. There is some old stock of the earlier production (1-piece unit) still out there so if you order from a vendor and not directly from Kooks, just make sure they have the 3-piece redesigned unit in stock.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I think you can get a new side pipe from Ford for less then $200. The whole side exhaust kit from Levittown is $590 or so. I bet you scraped the flex pipe and then over time heat and pressure blew it out to a hole.
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-racing-side-exhaust-p-1985.html

TMO Supporting Vendors