The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss on the Nurburgring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Here's a link to a youtube video from last Sunday of me driving the Boss around the Nurburgring. The weekend at the ring was a blast. I did get a cylinder 4 misfire code thrown at me but I reset it and it never came back. The rear diff was also puking out of the breather the entire weekend after each lap but that is in part to me filling it all the way to the hole. I really hate the stock shifter too. 1-4 are fine but getting it into 5th is a pain and the clutch sticking to the floor was really annoying. I've got my lap times down to about 8 minutes. The ring only has a few corners with run off and it really is the most difficult track in the world. The video doesn't do it justice or give you the sense of elevation change. About 13 miles of heaven or hell as the Germans call it. ENJOY!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pueavxwiU8Y[/youtube]

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
So jealous, its exactly as I remember it. Once again Boss 302 fastest car on track. I liked your little drifting exhibition for the fans in the slow stuff. Isn't it amazing how many people just come and hang out to watch hot lapping? One of the most beautiful places in the world and the roads outside the Ring are just about as fun as on the Ring.
Sorry about the diff fluid, you need the overflow catch can (Bob's or even larger Moroso) when tracking and that extra 3/8" to top of hole doesn't help. I actually was working on Pete in CT's car this weekend and he does have the Bob's overflow can and he still had lube on the axle housing. I cleaned off and asked him to check it after his next event. They do run hot, I saw 285 deg.F last Thursday peak temp, cooler brought it down to 255 which is still fairly warm. Best advise is to change per Track supplement which I think is every 4 track hours. Street use doesn't really count, when I do a medium distance cruise (50) miles it only peaks at 160 degF.

Great job out there.
Steve

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Steve, can you post the link to the diff cooler you use?

The ring was a blast. I had a group of guys that came with me: M3, Challenger SRT8, 2012 Mustang GT, BMW 5 Series, and a guy on a Suzuki GSXR600. Everybody wanted a ride in the Boss and couldn't believe how well it cornered :)

The track really brings out the deficiencies of a car so here are a few I would like to name about the Boss:

The shifter is horrible and so is the clutch! Shifting 1-4 was fine no problem but getting it into 5th was a pain. I had to shift very slowly but if you hold the clutch pedal to the floor for too long trying to get it into 5th it would just stick to the floor. To help avoid this problem I stayed in 4th and 5th only going to 3rd on one corner to avoid having to use the clutch too much. The Nurburgring is a fast track and you will actually hit the governor on two sections of the track. There are so many elevation changes you actually jump the car on two different sections so I banged the rear bump stops about 30 times this weekend. I need to take a look at them to make sure they are still intact when I get it on the lift to drop the driveshaft to install the new one piece DSS. The stock brakes started to show their weekness but in their defense I'm still on DOT 3 (switching that out this week), I have the cooling ducts but haven't put them on yet, and Pete hooked me up with some Pagid pads and some stainless lines to improve the braking. I don't know what to do about the tranny. I know the MGW is supposed to help but will I still have issues getting it into 5th and what is the fix for the clutch sticking to the floor?

After beating the car down naming all it's weakness' I'll say some nice things too. The car is so balanced, stable, and easy to drive. No snap oversteer like the Porsche's and Corvette's. Point the Boss in the right direction through a corner and it just goes. I can put the power down hard and early out of corners and the back end just sticks. The only cars that passed me this last weekend (there weren't very many) were caged and stripped race cars or the Aston Martin ring taxi that really is a racecar. If there was a driver mod I'm pretty sure the Boss could have kept up :)

I have some pictures of the car on the track but I still need to learn how to post pics. If anyone has the link to the "how to" thread post it and I'll try to get some pictures up.

Yea, it was almost impossible to get my car to go into fifth and had the clutch stick to the floor so much I got proficient at pulling it back up with my foot. Ran the fastest lap at Daytona that way when I still had the MT-82 in.

This is what I use for the rear fluid problems, same setup as on the 302S.

CIMG3119.jpg
CIMG3123.jpg

Cool vis BTW, it would take me years to remember where I was at running that track.

Very cool, I'd love to drive that track. Here's the diff catch can many of us are using in case you decide not to add a diff cooler.

http://www.revanracing.com/products/bobs-auto-sports-axle-reservoir.html

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsJEEGgsmY

This is my buddy in his 2012 Mustang GT. This thing is bone stock minus axle back exhaust. He has the most base model with 235 tires on all four corners. Even still he does a pretty good job getting around the ring. It was our last lap of the day so we did a formation lap with all 4 cars and the GT was leading the way. Pretty funny if you listen to their commentary.

Flyboy - Great video! I did the same brake upgrades you are planning to do expect I went with Carbotech pad. You should see a significant improvement once you get everything installed and upgrade the fluid. I agree with your opinion of the stock shifter. I had issues with the 4th to 5th shift as well. I went with the MGW shifter and bracket and haven't regretted it one bit. The 4th to 5th is shift is great now. I didn't think 2nd to 3rd adn 3rd to 4th was all that bad with stock shifter till I installed the MGW. It's probbaly the best upgrade to our cars that you can do for a reasonable price. IMO

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
KBBOSS1086 said:
Flyboy - Great video! I did the same brake upgrades you are planning to do expect I went with Carbotech pad. You should see a significant improvement once you get everything installed and upgrade the fluid. I agree with your opinion of the stock shifter. I had issues with the 4th to 5th shift as well. I went with the MGW shifter and bracket and haven't regretted it one bit. The 4th to 5th is shift is great now. I didn't think 2nd to 3rd adn 3rd to 4th was all that bad with stock shifter till I installed the MGW. It's probbaly the best upgrade to our cars that you can do for a reasonable price. IMO

Dang, now I have to buy the shifter!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
https://www.facebook.com/adam.budge.9/posts/521105901282016?notif_t=like

Quick video clip a British guy took of me flying past him on the Nurburgring :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP66k-eg_y0&feature=youtu.be

And one more video of me beating a Challenger SRT8 from a 3rd gear roll on the Autobahn. He was part of our caravan to the Nurburgring and so was the bike that goes flying past us after we are just cruising down the Autobahn.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
steveespo said:
So jealous, its exactly as I remember it. Once again Boss 302 fastest car on track. I liked your little drifting exhibition for the fans in the slow stuff. Isn't it amazing how many people just come and hang out to watch hot lapping? One of the most beautiful places in the world and the roads outside the Ring are just about as fun as on the Ring.
Sorry about the diff fluid, you need the overflow catch can (Bob's or even larger Moroso) when tracking and that extra 3/8" to top of hole doesn't help. I actually was working on Pete in CT's car this weekend and he does have the Bob's overflow can and he still had lube on the axle housing. I cleaned off and asked him to check it after his next event. They do run hot, I saw 285 deg.F last Thursday peak temp, cooler brought it down to 255 which is still fairly warm. Best advise is to change per Track supplement which I think is every 4 track hours. Street use doesn't really count, when I do a medium distance cruise (50) miles it only peaks at 160 degF.

Great job out there.
Steve

I am not convinced that diff fluid blew out the top of my reservoir. It's pretty much impossible to fill that cannister from expansion or foaming. I believe that was a little bit of a mess from the last swapout, not sure how it got that high up though. In the past she was bone dry running hard in July/August. I am going to watch it...

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Flyboygsxr said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP66k-eg_y0&feature=youtu.be

And one more video of me beating a Challenger SRT8 from a 3rd gear roll on the Autobahn. He was part of our caravan to the Nurburgring and so was the bike that goes flying past us after we are just cruising down the Autobahn.

Adam - Very cool! Did you get the shipment yet ?

-Pete

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Pete, the box came in on Friday. I honestly did not expect it to get here so fast so thank you. Everything is perfect and I am having the decals put on the car today. It was perfect timing because the car is still in the body shop having some custom work done to it. When I get it back tomorrow I will take some pics and show the guys on the forum. Still haven't figured out how to post pics but I think there is a "how to thread" on here somewhere. Can't thank you enough Pete, and the surprise was awesome. I am going to wait to put those decals on till I get back to the states. Where did you get the outline of the helicopter? The decals are dead on!

PeteInCT

Connecticut
you can find pictures of almost anything on Google. Once we have a picture with decent contrast in it Dennis just a matter of the software and some work to turn into a sticker. The picture I found of the chopper was actually very easy to work with. If you want any more of those you can have them for cost plus shipping just let me know.I am doing the event where we invited the vets from the Wounded Warriors Project this Friday. I donated about 75 American flag stickers with notation on underneaththat says thank you for your service.just a least we can do for those guys and gals that I've given so much so we can go out on the track in play

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
One more video of my buddy filming me up around 7000ft on one of the corners in the French Alps. All the nannies are turned off...spent a lot of the weekend with everything turned off, really helped me to get to know the car better. Good times

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FUOM2YFuzGA[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors