The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss owners buying 2015's? The silence is deafening.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A lot of smugness today on the mustang6g site...

Ford says the GT is 1.5 sec quicker than the BOSS 302 around Grattan. Maybe.
Still prefer a BOSS exclusivity and always prefer the independent test data.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/pericak-gives-more-3777.html

At the Mustang Roundup in Hastings, NE last weekend, we had the privilege of getting an in-depth presentation on the development of the S550 from one of the Ford Executives responsible for bringing the Boss back. They put a lot of thought into the redesign as the Mustang (in his words) is at the soul of the brand. Being the 50th anniversary is considered a huge deal and it was critical that they got it right. It was really cool to hear in video from some of the product planners and designers about the passion they have for Mustang and the importance of keeping it relevant for future generations. He commented about how Tom Barnes took input from enthusiasts that was incorporated into the design when he was at the Roundup a couple years ago which shows how they do listen to their customers.

One of their key challenges was how to keep Mustang relevant for another 50 years with the Millenials. A key area for them is technology so there is a big focus on integrating it into the new model. Another critical factor was making it relevant globally. That also fed into the design of the vehicle and particularly in the engine lineup. The 4 cylinder turbo is there specifically to appeal to European buyers and also younger buyers in the US. I walked away really impressed with what they've done with the new S550 and am anxiously awaiting the special editions that will inevitably be offered.

We're always moving forward, (otherwise we're going backward) so it should be expected that the breed will continue to evolve and improve. That doesn't diminish our Boss cars in any way as they were "done right" to honor the originals.

Totally agree. Progress must be made every year not just every so often. It was amusing though so see the majority dismayed when a few road tests of the S550 were less than spectacular and them the reversal of opinion when Ford drops a piece of good news.

I am so thrilled to have had my BOSS for over 2 years and many ore to come. I will pass on the S550 unless the GT350 ticks the boxes I'd prefer and then I'll add it.

As many have said here, the BOSS is still the BOSS.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
cloud9 said:
We're always moving forward, (otherwise we're going backward) so it should be expected that the breed will continue to evolve and improve.

Good synopsis for the S550 design goals, but the weight gain is regressive.

I have no doubt if Dave says the S550 GT PP is faster than a Boss then it is. But I want to know was it a LS with Corsas? The Corsas were by far the largest factor of the LS being faster than a Boss. So I'll wait to see a magazine perform that comparison and you know they will. I look forward to seeing what Ford did with the GT350 and it's weight should be back down to what the Boss weighs. Between the CC brakes and CF wheels we could see a huge weight savings and I suspect Ford has a few other surprises for us. ;)

four-walling said:

Bingo. If the rumors of the Camaro losing 200-300 lbs are true, the Mustang is in trouble. Ford can put a 5.2L N/A with a flat plane crank in the GT350, but Chevy already has a 650HP 6.2L supercharged engine ready for the next gen Z/28 and a really nice 455HP 6.2L with a 7-speed manual for the SS. It looks like the next-gen Camaro may come in close to, or even under, the Mustang's weight.

Losing weight is the #1 performance enhancement. Look at the Miata, heck, look at the new aluminum Ford Pickup.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
I have no doubt if Dave says the S550 GT PP is faster than a Boss then it is. But I want to know was it a LS with Corsas? The Corsas were by far the largest factor of the LS being faster than a Boss.

I'm sure that would be the non-LS Boss without Corsas.

People are just skipping over Motor Trend's figure 8 results and the ave. lateral g numbers. .84 ave. vs .78 ave is HUGE and enough to account for the 1.5 seconds IMO.

cloud9 said:
We're always moving forward, (otherwise we're going backward) so it should be expected that the breed will continue to evolve and improve. That doesn't diminish our Boss cars in any way as they were "done right" to honor the originals.

Well put. 8)

four-walling said:

People are still forgetting that the "comparable options" will be the 6 piston Brembos and IRS vs. 4 pots and a stick axle.

Not quite apples to apples but this should help visualize the difference back in '03...and yes, I know that includes the bolt-in carrier unit:
15338318835_ce20e0ed62_z.jpg

Back then it was at least a 150 lb. difference IIRC.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
kcbrown said:
Oh, well, yeah, there is that. But the front tire wear is primarily a result of the camber curves, and the new GT350 might not be substantially better in that regard.
I'm skeptical the new car will solve the camber issue, frankly. It's still a McStrut design.
I'm not skeptical of their engineering ability. Not in the slightest. I'm skeptical that there is so much improvement left to be had in the first place. The S197 seems to be very, very good already.
Improvements will come from the virtual pivot point created by the double lower ball joints. With the increased effective strut angle of inclination will come better camber curves and wear patterns. I'd bet on it.

Other little improvements like relocation of the front sway bar links to the strut centerline should also give us better wheel and tire clearance.

Strangely, I've not had a problem with track curbing upsetting the car, but it may be that I'm not pushing it quite hard enough for that (and note that I'm on relatively hard street tires -- Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position tires, to be precise, and the stock springs and dampers).
Yeah, it's not a problem really, but I"m sure it affects my confidence on how high I can run up curbing...or over the potholes at Streets.

Wow. That is interesting, and has me wondering how the S197 is so much better that it's able to do that.
I think most of it is the ability to put the power down better. Terminators really need the air pedal to be carefully modulated.

The problem is that I doubt you'll be able to really feel the difference in handling on the street without driving the car well beyond what is "safe". I suspect you'll only really be able to tell the difference on the track. I don't know of any dealers that would allow you to take the car onto the track for test drives, but if you do, then I think all of us here will want to know about it! :D
There's an industrial park and freeway on/off ramps near the place I got my '11 GT from...if I can get the test drive from them, I'll have a good idea about the difference in handling.

Call me primitive, but I like my evil yellow, harsh ride, Boss stripes and modern-retro looks. Would I consider (S550) one in the future? As an addition, or a new car for the wife, sure!

TMO Supporting Vendors