The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Pickup/Delivery - Advice, things to check, items to address?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am pleased to say that I will soon take delivery of a new 2013 Green Boss that I've purchased. My daughter and I will be flying out will drive it back to NC as a weekend trip.

I am wondering if any of you have tips or advice you might offer regarding delivery from the dealer. For example, is there an ECU update that I should have them apply? Are there any recalls that I should have performed? Or something you wish you'd asked about or had the dealer do at delivery? I have got the Track Key programming squared away so that it'll be delivered with the car.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the Boss, and having fun with it on street and track.

Great forum here. Thanks to those that maintain and keep it up.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Ron Earp said:
I am pleased to say that I will soon take delivery of a new 2013 Green Boss that I've purchased. My daughter and I will be flying out will drive it back to NC as a weekend trip.

I am wondering if any of you have tips or advice you might offer regarding delivery from the dealer. For example, is there an ECU update that I should have them apply? Are there any recalls that I should have performed? Or something you wish you'd asked about or had the dealer do at delivery? I have got the Track Key programming squared away so that it'll be delivered with the car.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the Boss, and having fun with it on street and track.

Welcome to the site and congratulations on the new Boss.

Nothing that has to be done to drive the car home. A few TSB and no recalls. Most are for the 2012s.

I would ask to have the plates removed from the exhaust.

Enjoy the drive and the new ride. ;D

Check the brake fluid reservoir, some were overfilled at the factory and may leak. I pulled a couple of ounces out of mine. Wouldn't want the paint bubbling or peeling if it drips.

Boss1815 said:
Check the brake fluid reservoir, some were overfilled at the factory and may leak. I pulled a couple of ounces out of mine. Wouldn't want the paint bubbling or peeling if it drips.
I second this. Look at the reservoir and see if there is any fluid on the seam half way down. If there is, remove a couple of oz like Boss1815 said. I had this problem and had to get it repainted twice. Also, check your tire presure. The BOSS comes with nitrogen, but mine was 4lb low right from the day I got it.
Congrats, you won't regret buying this car!

Thanks for the heads up people. Good advice on the brake fluid fill level.

What is the factory specified break in procedure? I have always owned Fords and followed recommendations to a tee. However, for my Ford race motors I generally just go through a heat cycle, a bit of running to seat the rings, and then hammer it. Never had any problems either way.

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Drive your new vehicle at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before towing a

trailer. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to

Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since

these additives may prevent piston ring seating.

See
Engine oil in the Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil usage.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
All good suggestions...I lit it up leaving the dealership. I suggest making sure you vary the RPMs even into the 6k-7k range regardless of what speeds you use.

I believe that the tune is a bit restricted anyway before you hit about 1,200-1,400 miles.

Congrats and welcome to the club!

GR8WYT

Fluids, oil, air, make sure you receive your boss welcome packet. Get the Trackey for a few bucks, remove the attenuation discs, get on the BTA waiting list. Buy a good tire plugging kit so you have the compressor, slime and plugging kit just in case. CONGRATS, Have a blast!

Read up on your traction control and sport mode options. This way you can drive it and launch a few times without the braking applying itself, bogging down feeling and getting unnecessary brake dust.

Replace your axle backs later, get an MGW shifter too.

Congratulations and welcome to BMO. I recommend testing the rev limiter as you pull off the lot. ;D Have a fun drive home.

Ron Earp said:

My experience...you should have waited on TK for one year. I had my GB boss for a glorious year and loved ever day I got to rev, drive and push it. THEN, I got my stiff together and got TK. It was like getting another brand new BOSS. Some would say I missed out on a year of TK, but I prefer to enjoy how I got a whole new experience even after thinking the car was awesome. The BOSS just keeps giving.

Enjoy your new ride!

Make sure the dealership has your correct home address because you will be getting an owners kit sent to you soon. Once you get it home...after you take the exhaust discs out and give it the inaugural drive around the block, the very next thing you should do is call Miller Motor sports and get signed up for track attack! Please take advantage of this!

make sure you look the car over really good a friend of mine bought one that had been dameged and he didn't see it, for awhile and the dealer in CA said he was lying and ford give him the run around and than closed the claim.. he had to replace the hood plus pay to have the paint fixed on fender etc

Congrats.

I did the same thing. Flew into Orlando and drove back to DFW.

All the above advice is excellent. I didn't use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles. Keep varying speed. I'm "old school" and changed the oil when I got home.

Give us a report when you get home.

I just picked up new to me 2013 GB Boss. Has 10k on it.

The moment I started it, I NEEDED the car. I thought that the baffles were out already but I just checked and I think they are still in. I love the sound already, so curious what it will sound like without.

I see some people say they have a specific number of a certain colour, but where do I find that.

Gonna be a long winter.

If your state does not require a front license plate you should tell them to make sure they do not drill the holes and/or mount the barcket.

Before I picked mine up I told my dealer not to do anything to it...leave the window sticker on, plastic on the seats, etc. Other than a wash and an interior wipe down I wanted to see it for the first time exactly how it rolled off the line. The cars arrive at the dealer from Ford without holes drilled for the rear plate as well. My dealer let me drill the holes myself, remove the seat plastic and take the window sticker off. I didn't want them to throw anything away or damage the window sticker when they removed it. It was actually pretty cool doing it myself before I left the dealer...it added to the entire exprience.

TMO Supporting Vendors