The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss probably not the best car to learn how to drive a stick.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I bought my BOSS used with 4500 miles on it. Who ever owned it managed to destroy the 5th and 6th gear sincro and bend the left rear axle. All was under warrenty and she is as good as new! Just thought I would post cause I am happy to have hear back!

Bad syncros in 5th and 6th are not completely uncommon. You can try looking in the registry and see who owned it before you did. Regardless enjoy your Boss.

GA
I learned to drive stick on my 2008 Bullitt. I beat the hell out of that thing the first 1000 miles or so. I never had a problem with the drive line. Somebody must have been doing seriously hard launches all day long with your car.

I have been driving manual transmissions for a long time but did have the 5th and 6th gear synchro issue. Trans replaced under warranty and all good now.

Guys, if you keep posting headlines like this, you're going to get me in trouble.

I rationalized this purchased by, among other things, telling my wife we needed the Boss so that the kids could learn how to drive a stick shift . . .

I think I even managed to keep a straight face when I said it. Mostly.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Bad Pony said:
Guys, if you keep posting headlines like this, you're going to get me in trouble.

I rationalized this purchased by, among other things, telling my wife we needed the Boss so that the kids could learn how to drive a stick shift . . .

I think I even managed to keep a straight face when I said it. Mostly.

I've taught all 3 of my sons to drive a stick in the Boss (ages 20, 22 and 24).

Brian

Freddy#1561 said:
So I bought my BOSS used with 4500 miles on it. Who ever owned it managed to destroy the 5th and 6th gear sincro and bend the left rear axle. All was under warrenty and she is as good as new! Just thought I would post cause I am happy to have hear back!

Similar situation here. I bought my Boss used with about the same mileage. It now has just over 6,000 miles and is @ the dealer getting 3rd and 4th gear synchros replaced. I'm hoping to have it back today. :)

Oh, and I just laughed @ my 21 year old daughter when she asked if I would use the Boss to teach her how to drive a stick. "Not in this car". lol

I had to teach my 18 year old son to drive a stick in my boss so he could attend the Boss Track Attack with me as a driver. It was a little scary at first but the car is actually very easy to drive and he did great. We had a blast at BTA.

1st new car was a 1999 neon 5spd. Bought it without a test drive. Previously tried the automatic. 14 years later and on my 4 th manual shift car I can say the BOSS is an easy car to shift and teach. There is so much torque you can drive at sedate (forgive me) speed of 35mph in 3rd, 4th, 5th. Not much shifting required. I've found turbo cars difficult to teach on due to their pesky power. The BOSS just has power. That said....my 3 kids are aged 18 months, 4 and 4. I will have the BOSS when they are early teenagers and ready to start learning to drive just as I did when I was 13 or 14 on private roads. I will teach them to drive a manual and to heel/toe. Just not in my BOSS. MaYbe in a '99 Neon.

TMO Supporting Vendors