The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Recaro Seats vs. Standard Seats and Torsen vs. clutch pack diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
I was at the dealer today getting my oil changed and front brakes done for Road Atlanta next weekend, and there was a brand new 2012 Shelby GT500 with Recaro seats sitting in the showroom. I figure the Boss Recaro seats will be the same, so I try them out. They are really awesome in leather! I hope the cloth ones are just as good. However, I am concerned that I will not be able to sit in a comfortable enough position with my helmet on. I cranked the seat as low as I could go and there was not much clearance above my head and I had to recline the seat back way too far. I am going to stop on my way to RA next Friday and try it again with my helmet on.

I am assuming that the Boss seats will be the same way. Any tips to adjusting the seat? All I found was one lever to raise/lower and one lever for reclining back. Is the standard seat the same at the basic GT seat? Would the standard seat have more adjustability? This sucks. :mad:

If I have to give up the Recaro seats there goes the Torsen. Is the Torsen diff that much better than the clutch pack diff?

PJWANNABE said:
I am assuming that the Boss seats will be the same way. Any tips to adjusting the seat? All I found was one lever to raise/lower and one lever for reclining back.
They sound like the same seats I sat in at the auto show except they were cloth. There was a seat slide bar below the front of the seat, seat recline lever and height adjustment lever. I prefer to sit more upright and closer to the wheel than most people and I had no concerns about hitting the roof of the car with a helmet on. I'm 5' 11" so not sure if you were taller whether it would be an issue.

GA
cloud9 said:
PJWANNABE said:
I am assuming that the Boss seats will be the same way. Any tips to adjusting the seat? All I found was one lever to raise/lower and one lever for reclining back.
They sound like the same seats I sat in at the auto show except they were cloth. There was a seat slide bar below the front of the seat, seat recline lever and height adjustment lever. I prefer to sit more upright and closer to the wheel than most people and I had no concerns about hitting the roof of the car with a helmet on. I'm 5' 11" so not sure if you were taller whether it would be an issue.

I forgot to mention that I am about 6' 3" (and my big gut doesn't help). I'll try it again with my helmet next week and see what happens. I barely get it to work in the Bullitt, but the extra adjustment of the power seat is what I think makes it work. If the standard Boss driver's seat is just a plain unpowered seat, then that probably won't help. The roof line in the newer Mustang might be lower, but I am not sure.

Regardless I don't think there's much of a height difference between the Recaro's and the normal seats. When I sat in the Boss seats, which are manual, I was surprised how much lower they went from where there were positioned when I sat in the car. I'm 6'2". If you're going to track your car a lot the Recaro's are going to be better. Again I don't think there is much of a height difference between the two seats. Get the Recaro's.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
Regardless I don't think there's much of a height difference between the Recaro's and the normal seats. When I sat in the Boss seats, which are manual, I was surprised how much lower they went from where there were positioned when I sat in the car. I'm 6'2". If you're going to track your car a lot the Recaro's are going to be better. Again I don't think there is much of a height difference between the two seats. Get the Recaro's.

Oh believe me, I plan to track the car and want the Recaro's. I will try it out next week, but if I can't get it to work then there is no sense for me in getting the Boss. :'( Hopefully they will have a Boss in soon.

PJWANNABE said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Oh believe me, I plan to track the car and want the Recaro's. I will try it out next week, but if I can't get it to work then there is no sense for me in getting the Boss. :'( Hopefully they will have a Boss in soon.
It's still an S197 chassis. I wouldn't think there would be an appreciable difference in interior head room among any of flavors of Mustang from 2005-2012.

GA
cloud9 said:
PJWANNABE said:
5 DOT 0 said:

It's still an S197 chassis. I wouldn't think there would be an appreciable difference in interior head room among any of flavors of Mustang from 2005-2012.

Maybe it is because I don't fit in the seat the way I am supposed to; I probably sit higher because of it. Maybe that can be a new Boss 302 diet where I have to lose enough weight if I want to get it out on the track. ;)

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
PJWANNABE said:
cloud9 said:
PJWANNABE said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Maybe it is because I don't fit in the seat the way I am supposed to; I probably sit higher because of it. Maybe that can be a new Boss 302 diet where I have to lose enough weight if I want to get it out on the track. ;)

That'd help on the track anyways. :) As to your concern, don't manual seats typically allow for better adjustment of the seat anyways? I mean that's what I remember when I was younger in my dad's cars. He hated power seats because it was 'impossible' to get it exactly right. Just my .02. Fortunately, I'm only 6'0 so it shouldn't be a problem for me, but definitely something to be discussed.

GA
ufnavy06 said:
PJWANNABE said:
cloud9 said:
PJWANNABE said:
5 DOT 0 said:

That'd help on the track anyways. :) As to your concern, don't manual seats typically all for better adjustment of the seat anyways? I mean that's what I remember when I was younger in my dad's cars. He hated power seats because it was 'impossible' to get it exactly right. Just my .02. Fortunately, I'm only 6'0 so it shouldn't be a problem for me, but definitely something to be discussed.

Yep, it would in addition to other things. Yes, I know what you mean about power seats taking up more room in the past. My power seat seems to go pretty low though. My car came with GT500 seats and the bolsters are not as big and firm as the ones on the Recaros.

can anyone comment on the difference between the torsion diff and the standard one. or maybe provide some reading on the differences?

thanks

RobertEvans said:
can anyone comment on the difference between the torsion diff and the standard one. or maybe provide some reading on the differences?

thanks

you will probably get a much better answer if you start a new thread. Welcome to the site!

If you're serious get the seats and the torsen. Get another fixed back seat for track days. Have the mounts made fixed as low as you need. Most adjustable mounts just get the seats higher than you want for the track. Getting your weight as low as possible will help.

GA
908ssp said:
If you're serious get the seats and the torsen. Get another fixed back seat for track days. Have the mounts made fixed as low as you need. Most adjustable mounts just get the seats higher than you want for the track. Getting your weight as low as possible will help.

I wouldn't get the Boss any other way. I need to lose weight for a number of other reasons, so maybe this would be the extra motivation I need. I can't see myself swapping out seats just for a track weekend (call me lazy).

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
RobertEvans said:

thanks
Welcome to BMO. This link has info on the Torsen diff.

http://www.torsen.com/files/Ford%20Mustang%20Boss%20302%20Torsen.pdf

Great info, thanks. The clutch pack diff in my Bullitt has a lot of gear whine, so it would be nice to have a quiet one.

One tidbit of info I picked about Torsen diffs is that if you get stuck with one rear wheel off the ground you won't have any traction since both wheels have to work together. The thing I read said if you are ever in that situation apply your brake and it will cause enough resistance in the hanging wheel to get traction increased to the other one. It is something like a 1 to 5 ratio increase.

PJWANNABE said:
5 DOT 0 said:
RobertEvans said:

thanks
Welcome to BMO. This link has info on the Torsen diff.

http://www.torsen.com/files/Ford%20Mustang%20Boss%20302%20Torsen.pdf

Great info, thanks. The clutch pack diff in my Bullitt has a lot of gear whine, so it would be nice to have a quiet one.

One tidbit of info I picked about Torsen diffs is that if you get stuck with one rear wheel off the ground you won't have any traction since both wheels have to work together. The thing I read said if you are ever in that situation apply your brake and it will cause enough resistance in the hanging wheel to get traction increased to the other one. It is something like a 1 to 5 ratio increase.
That's good to know .
Thanks

TMO Supporting Vendors