The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss resale starting to erode?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Just noticed on Autotrader today...241 Boss listings (both '12 and '13). 336 GT350 listings.

The surprising part are the number of used GT350s listed already...

30!

And the average asking price used ($73,001) is higher than the average of all ($69,862) and new ($69,590).

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Yes, it was just my "guess" on some of the used GT350's currently for sale, especially in view of the premium pricing set by most Retailers. Not all of course, but some for sure.

302 Hi Pro

worrying about resale value is kind of like my wife worrying if her hair looks good.
You purchase a boss to drive and enjoy and have fun putting your touches to it.
If your that concerned about resale....I say sell it now. the second gen Boss has about another 20 years to go.
The Boss that will hold the best $$$$ is the LS. Being a 2 seater from the factory and low production #'s.
If you worry about this than you worry about the wrong things. Just my 2 cents but I used to also think about this. That's when I smarten up and started removing OEM parts for better ones. Now this make me happy. Having more fun adding parts that fit what I want than saying...will this hurt the value.
And yes your hair looks GREAT!

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Resale is something I occasionally think about.

Being the Boss is 4 1/2 years old, no sense in worrying about depreciation now.

...even though it only has 3000 miles...

I just like the damn car.

My daily driver is a Lexus GS350 F Sport and it is more my style nowadays, so the Boss mostly sits...until the weekend... :)

HRE3A_zpsb7f1484e.jpg

I really don't understand the fear of a BOSS losing value. I bought my '12 for sticker and enjoyed every minute of it. Then I sold that for a small loss and picked up my '13 LS because the color matched my '70 Grabber Orange BOSS. I enjoy the hell out of both of them because at some point, I (and all of us) won't be able to drive again. It may be years and years away, but enjoy them now while you can. I'm not into the gloom and doom, fear everything mode :'( I am into the live for each day mode :) My GT350 will be here next week and yes they cost big bucks. But, when you're in an elderly care facility, or can't drive anymore, you CAN'T TURN THE CLOCK BACK! Enjoy everything you have now and don't worry about the value.

Bay Area
Bossneeds said:
I really don't understand the fear of a BOSS losing value. I bought my '12 for sticker and enjoyed every minute of it. Then I sold that for a small loss and picked up my '13 LS because the color matched my '70 Grabber Orange BOSS. I enjoy the hell out of both of them because at some point, I (and all of us) won't be able to drive again. It may be years and years away, but enjoy them now while you can. I'm not into the gloom and doom, fear everything mode :'( I am into the live for each day mode :) My GT350 will be here next week and yes they cost big bucks. But, when you're in an elderly care facility, or can't drive anymore, you CAN'T TURN THE CLOCK BACK! Enjoy everything you have now and don't worry about the value.

Well put, when I was buying my Boss my good friend said why not, you only live once. Every mile is a smile and I only regret I don't drive her everyday. When I get my GT350 she will get used as much as possible.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The overall value of the car, compared to many others on the market ,is still fairly stout. Lagunas are commanding reasonably strong prices still, considering they are 3-4 years old. Likely plateaued , but when one considers a GT350 will be pushing upper 50s in most cases, that leaves a healthy gap for those who want a special Mustang , but can't get to the GT 350 pricing, imho.

GR8WYT

One item I think is worth noting is the fact that this great car was marketed and sold just 3 short years after one of the largest and unprecedented market crashes in history. Not too mention the price of petroleum was below peak but still stunning for most americans and coupled with double digit unemployment. Government Motors took the taxpayers bailout money, FORD was helped by the UAW fallout as well with renegotiated labor contracts and on. The housing market imploded!!!

The BOSS program in my mind was solid and the numbers produced and sold started to usher in the future of Muscle Car promotion and sales numbers. Ford came out swinging and hit a home run! All companies are following suit and producing lower numbers at BIG invoices. How many BOSS owners could buy into the GT350/R program today as jobs are still unstable?

I never cared about my resale value and still don't think about it. I had a 1966 VW Beetle that I had purchased with lawn mower money in 1984 for gods sake. It was not my only means but it was my collector, I sold it with much hesitation to purchase this 2012 Boss in Perf. White. I absolutely love the car! I always get thumbs up and get almost as much traffic as my Beetle brought over. That car touched EVERYONE, I met so many strangers that shared their Beetle story it was crazy! I'm getting that kind of interest again with this car, everyone can relate.

In 1997 I bought a Black on Black 97' Cobra and thought that car was the tell all be all. Lost out on purchasing a 2003 Terminator for the sole reason that I was unemployed as the Twin Towers fell and was very lucky to secure a fantastic job with Sweetheart Cup Co. in Owings Mills, MD at the time. The 2003 Terminator was my Boss's Boss car which he traded in for a Cadillac XLR hardtop/droptop Neiman Marcus edition, lol

The Boss had so much buzz around it and how many people spun off their own versions? Saleen, Holman and Moody, Roush, etc. I think we are a part of what is special about Auto racing and the future of the now heated up manufacturer wars again.

Keep your cars ladies and gentlemen...... DRIVE THEM, Enjoy Them because you never know what the future may bring.

Don't really care about what happens to the value. I love the car and plan to keep it and pass it down to one of the kids. All you have to do is remember, IT is a BOSS. Then when you really compare it to the GT350 or new Vettes, there is not really that much difference. At least for us non professional drivers.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^Nice first post...even though you signed up in 2014!

I think it's funny that some mistake my tracking and knowing Boss resale value for being concerned. Not at all. I'm just a numbers guy, and I like to know and predict what things are worth. I plan on keeping the Boss.

Bay Area
Merritte said:
Don't really care about what happens to the value. I love the car and plan to keep it and pass it down to one of the kids. All you have to do is remember, IT is a BOSS. Then when you really compare it to the GT350 or new Vettes, there is not really that much difference. At least for us non professional drivers.

I agree with Grant302, Well put new member. Lets just enjoy the hell out of our BOSS. I just quit a job and guess what? Im taking all of Friday to drive him/her (I know after 3yrs 10 months I have no name, cause its THE BOSS),
all over the place, (1st the East Bay, then Highway 9?), and I plan on running through my tires just for fun.

Funny I should come across this thread today... I don't frequent the forum often but I'm checking on Boss/LS prices while I'm waiting on a money transfer from my insurance. I'd started out looking at Coyote S197s to replace my 2005 4.6. Then I see Brembo/TrackPac cars for a little more... which would save me the $ and effort to put 4 pots on a standard GT.

Spin that up and a Boss looks good vs buying a bog standard GT and throwing an American Muscle catalog at it.

I've found an LS and I have the number... just checking here if it was on the registry or a history on the car. Leverage for negotiations.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
!!

For some reason although I like the GT350 I have no desire to really own one. I went for a ride in a CO GT350 Track Pack car my friend bought. Cool car. Didn't blow me away as being "whoa! this is way faster than the Boss". It's really not that much faster. Main factor for the delta is the tire sizes in handling. The FPC motor sounds neat but honestly I like the rumble of the Boss 302 just as much if not more. Classic American muscle performance. The FPC is more European in sound. A step away from American tradition.

The Boss, especially the LS will be more limited than even the GT350R whose production numbers will likely be around 2000 at the end of the day. The Boss follows and tracks history vis a vis the original Boss 302. The GT350 not so much as its a Shelby in "name" only and has 0 connection with or to do with CS or SAI.

The Boss 302 we know is the high water mark of the S197 generation. The GT350 may or may not be the S550 high water mark.

In years ahead I think the Boss 302 especially the LS will be sought after by collectors. I wouldn't trade my '12 LS silver and red (#46) even for an R. My LS is a keeper.

Re: !!

REAL 1 said:
For some reason although I like the GT350 I have no desire to really own one. I went for a ride in a CO GT350 Track Pack car my friend bought. Cool car. Didn't blow me away was being "whoa! this is way faster than the Boss". It's really not that much faster. Main factor for the delta is the tire sizes in handling. The FPC motor sounds neat but honestly I like the rumble of the Boss 302 just as much if not more. Classic American muscle performance. The FPC is more European in sound. A step away from American tradition.

The Boss, especially the LS will be more limited than even the GT350R who production numbers will likely be around 2000 at the end of the day. The Boss follows and track history vis a vis the original Boss 302. The GT350 not so much as its a Shelby in "name" only and has 0 connection with or to do with CS or SAI.

The Boss 302 we know is the high water mark of the S197 generation. The GT350 may or may not be the S550 high water mark.

In years ahead I think the Boss 302 especially the LS will be sought after by collectors. I wouldn't trade my '12 LS silver and red (#46) even for an R. My LS is a keeper.

REAL 1,

I agree with you about the LS, but the real solution is to own both...

GT350R%20%20Mini%20Nats.1_zps2zwdkemo.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors