The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss resale starting to erode?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
Sydewaysix said:
I'm in the east bay (Hayward Hills) but work out in the Peninsula (SSF). You may occasionally catch me on 101 if j drive the Boss to work, but I usually just drive my Prius :eek:

Is this you/your car from Mini Nats?_DSC9549_zpsb6q9s9wx.jpg

No thats not me. I couldn't make it. I live in the Peninsula (Belmont) so you might see me on the 101 as well. Although I usually drive my Fusion during the week. You'll love driving your Boss to work.

byronj said:
No thats not me. I couldn't make it. I live in the Peninsula (Belmont) so you might see me on the 101 as well. Although I usually drive my Fusion during the week. You'll love driving your Boss to work.

Oops! Well, whoever owns that car...GREAT LOOKING RIDE AND EXCELLENT COLOR CHOICE ;D

FLGator

2013 Boss 302 LS #196 - Shadow
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
I too was curious about what was out there in the used Boss/Boss LS market. I found that there are far too many knock-offs/wanna-be's out there. I have no idea how many are being intentionally mis-represented, but there are a lot of GT's made to look like Boss'. It is really disheartening to see legitimate dealers trying to pass off this crap. It takes more that some stripes and an intake swap to make a Boss. As always, the phrase "buyer beware" applies. :-\

FLGator said:
I too was curious about what was out there in the used Boss/Boss LS market. I found that there are far too many knock-offs/wanna-be's out there. I have no idea how many are being intentionally mis-represented, but there are a lot of GT's made to look like Boss'. It is really disheartening to see legitimate dealers trying to pass off this crap. It takes more that some stripes and an intake swap to make a Boss. As always, the phrase "buyer beware" applies. :-\

It's really simple. If the 8th character in the VIN isn't a 'U' it ain't a Boss.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Says something about the boss Boss.

Maybe it's me but there is something character wise , an intangible, the the Boss has that the the GT350 just does not.

Although being a 2x ex 66&70 Shelby owner, the thought of a GT 350 is very appealing. I'm happy and plan on keeping my boss. It's one of the last LS's. That being said if something were to happens to it its GT350 time.

FLGator

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
dabossinne - exactly, but not everyone knows that and too many are taking advantage of that ignorance.

Friends don't let friends own Boss clones.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
FLGator said:
dabossinne - exactly, but not everyone knows that and too many are taking advantage of that ignorance.

Friends don't let friends own Boss clones.

I must not be my own friend. I have a real Boss and a fake one.

FWIW, I haven't seen a single fake boss listed for sale as a Boss. I wouldn't hesitate to point one out to the seller, and I definitely would have made an example of it if I found one and posted about it here. If you have any examples of anyone 'taking advantage of that ignorance', please post about it.

FLGator

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Grant 302,

Please don't misunderstand me. We have a great group of enthusiasts here. The issue I found was when I "googled" "Boss 302 for sale". The web sites are where I found the "clone" Boss'. Some of the web sites were for reputable companies that I would have suspected that they knew better. I guess when we have a desirable car that there are some who will try to profit.

Oh well, we know what we have and are quite happy. As dabossinne correctly pointed out - 8th character in VIN = U = Boss.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
No worries. My humor is most often misunderstood!

My feeling is that dealers unknowingly click the 'Boss 302' model when listing some of the cars. SMS 302s and PJ/Heritage Saleen, etc. often get mis-labeled when creating the listing. I think of it more of an annoyance than anything unscrupulous going on.

Just saw at Barrett-Jackson today a '69 Boss 429 went for $325K ...original owner... 21K miles....ORIGINAL paint. I didn't see any 302's go on the block in all of the 3 days the auction ran.They previewed a couple cars that will be at the next auction in Jan & at least one '70 302 will be sold at that one.....nowhere near what the 429 fetched

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Did see a '13 Black LS go for 40K at a Mecum auction in Chicago a few weeks back. That's 44K at 10% out the door. I don't recall the mileage but it was stock and pristine.

302BOB said:
Just saw at Barrett-Jackson today a '69 Boss 429 went for $325K ...original owner... 21K miles....ORIGINAL paint. I didn't see any 302's go on the block in all of the 3 days the auction ran.They previewed a couple cars that will be at the next auction in Jan & at least one '70 302 will be sold at that one.....nowhere near what the 429 fetched

After watching that I googled some recent 429 sales, you may find some previous sale prices interesting.

I think it may be a buyers market.

Bid winner also grabbed a nice big block vette.

I traded in my LS with 8500 miles all stock for 37000. I should have got around 40000, but I made it up on the car I bought.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

johna said:
I traded in my LS with 8500 miles all stock for 37000. I should have got around 40000, but I made it up on the car I bought.

What did you buy?

Thanks for asking. Always wanted a convertible track able car....2012 porsche boxster spyder. Tracked it twice in the past month blackhawk and Grattan. My novice times were very similar with my LS. The LS was faster in the straights but the spyder handles the twists a bit better. Overall another very fun car.

johna said:
Thanks for asking. Always wanted a convertible track able car....2012 porsche boxster spyder. Tracked it twice in the past month blackhawk and Grattan. My novice times were very similar with my LS. The LS was faster in the straights but the spyder handles the twists a bit better. Overall another very fun car.

Very cool. Post some photos when you get a chance. I'm a big Porsche fan and have owned two 911's.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ah, yes VoodooBoss, but as much as you like Porsches, you have to admit it is even more fun passing them in a Boss or GT350, ha!?

Now, back to the thread. Just a personal observation , but at our Dealerships we have seen the Boss drop some, but compared to so many other vehicles it has stayed relatively strong, especially in today's climate where car sales in general are down between 15-20 % ( with almost all models ).

TMO Supporting Vendors