The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss resale starting to erode?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think the GT350 actually shipping has started to erode the resale on the Boss. There are 30 2012-13 Bosses on eBay right now, including a 2012 Red with 27K miles and a Buy It Now price of $30.5, and a 2012 Black LS with 12K and a Buy It Now of $37K.

We'll see what the summer brings, but we could see decent Bosses in the mid-20's by then.

I'm dreaming of a Boss in the teens that I can make a dedicated track car. It is either that or an early 2000's Z06, which already sometimes go under $20K.

I'm not surprised and my concern over this is the reason I sold my Boss months before my GT350 arrives.

Nothing unusual about this, the cars are 3-to 4 model years old now and not the latest hottest package on the market anymore. But if Ford stays with the planned production of 5000 GT350's & 500 R's every year until 2020 that's amounts to 22000 cars. So the Boss will always have the uniqueness by numbers. I was thinking about getting a 2016 GT with options to equip it similar to a Boss but it never really would have the extra's of the Road Runner engine. That plus with regular Mustang production numbers in 5 years a GT would just be another one of thousands of used Mustangs. Unless Ford does a reintro like they did with the 01/08 Bullitt,the Boss's will always be unique and still resell for more than a standard Mustang GT.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I think it's just supply driven. Yes, some Boss Owners might want to dump their current Boss to take delivery of their new GT350, but it's a limited pool of Boss Owners.

Boss prices are still much higher than non Boss 302 Mustangs and I think Boss 302's will continue to hold excellent resale value. It's also about condition for any used car.

Like another Member mentioned, it's a bubble, and this one is a Boss to GT350 sell off bubble that will soon see it's day.

Regardless of how good the GT350 might be, the Boss 302 Mustangs remain at the pinnacle of Live Axle Mustangs. And the Boss 302 car and it's U code engine are proven race winners.

Yes, it's true, I'm a Boss 302 Mustang fan, and I believe that I'm not alone.

Boss 302 led the way, it's only natural that the Shelby GT350 takes Mustang performance to the next level.

So don't panic.
302 Hi Pro

I check ebay a couple of times a week looking at Bosses and yes, the values are falling fast over the last 6 weeks or so. I will never get rid of my Laguna, so valuation isn't a concern for me in that regard. However, I would like to add a 2012 Yellow Blaze or Kona Blue Boss at some point so these falling values mean that maybe I can afford one sooner than I thought!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Not concerned either.

The Seasonal slowdown combined with folks trying to turn over their boss for a GT-350 is likely compounding the decline rate.

2017 or 2018 GT-350 for me unless a deal on a used GT-350 pops up first.

TMSBOSS said:
Not concerned either.

The Seasonal slowdown combined with folks trying to turn over their boss for a GT-350 is likely compounding the decline rate.

2017 or 2018 GT-350 for me unless a deal on a used GT-350 pops up first.

i am in a very similar situation and likely to consider 17 or 18s...

302 Hi Pro said:
I think it's just supply driven. Yes, some Boss Owners might want to dump their current Boss to take delivery of their new GT350, but it's a limited pool of Boss Owners.

Boss prices are still much higher than non Boss 302 Mustangs and I think Boss 302's will continue to hold excellent resale value. It's also about condition for any used car.

Like another Member mentioned, it's a bubble, and this one is a Boss to GT350 sell off bubble that will soon see it's day.

Regardless of how good the GT350 might be, the Boss 302 Mustangs remain at the pinnacle of Live Axle Mustangs. And the Boss 302 car and it's U code engine are proven race winners.

Yes, it's true, I'm a Boss 302 Mustang fan, and I believe that I'm not alone.

Boss 302 led the way, it's only natural that the Shelby GT350 takes Mustang performance to the next level.

So don't panic.
302 Hi Pro

+1

The Boss is certainly the peak of performance for a live axle vehicle, and about as visceral experience as you could want. The 350 has more tech and is a major step forward and will be fantastic fun, but longer term the Boss will likely be more scarce and marks the end of an era. The 350 marks the start of an exciting new era.

Both were/are fantastic value new given the performance and heritage. Trying to bet on what each will be worth in the future is a fools errand. Drive them and enjoy. I'm fortunate and very glad I don't have to sell my Boss.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Starting to erode? I think they've been going down pretty steadily over the years. Usually happens as the mileage and wear accrue. There are just more out there with more mileage and wear.

One and two years ago, it was hard to find a Boss listing under $30k. There were some...and it was usually for obvious reasons.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
I agree with HiPo and Black Sheep. It seems that low mileage (below 5000 miles) cars are still in the upper 30's and low 40's with lower mileage cars even a little higher. One LS is listed at $50K but it is a very very low mileage car and a collector quality car like my LS. Its also one of the first 50 produced like my LS.

Until all the Boss sell off''s for the new GT350 are over prices will soften. However, being a very limited and special run car with a historic pedigree I think their values will rebound in the future especially the very low mileage LS with all the paperwork and kit.

My friend came over in his new GT350 TP car. It was fast but I didn't get out and say holly chit that blows the Boss away. The bigger tires are the main factor. Honesty, I like the Boss LS better. I like the rumble of the Coyote Boss and the lope. I like the looks better too. But thats me.

I expect the GT350 will see improvements and will be built in much greater numbers then the Boss. Expect the Boss to be just as if not more sought after in years to come.

I would buy an R at list but not wtih the crazy ADMs being sought. On the list at my dealer. Also have a purchase order for a GT3RS or GT3 at list with my Porsche dealer. Will have to decide between the Stang or the Porsche when the time comes. If I can get an R at list, I'll go that direction. If not I'll go with the Porsche.

Either way I'm keeping the Ingot Boss LS. Its a keeper.

I don't have any plan to sell the Boss, but resale matters if you ever get in an accident. While most of the parts on the Boss are interchangeable with other Mustangs, there are enough unique pieces that eventually even a relatively minor hit could trigger the insurance company to declare a total loss. Wheels, suspension, stripes, interior bits, and of course anything to do with the engine. This is the risk you take with a pristine "collectible". I knew a couple of people who paid top dollar for great muscle cars 25-30 years ago before the values skyrocketed, and minor fender benders caused the insurance company to declare the cars total losses because of the cost of difficult to find parts vs. relatively low "book" values based on comparable resales. A good friend of mine spent a long time finding a '69 Vette with a 427 TriPower, and when he finally found one, he paid the then seemingly astronomical price of $23K for it. He spent a year and another $5K or so getting it to be great, then a drunk blew a stop sign and took out the front end. By the time the insurance company added up the cost of the hood, fenders, aluminum radiator, motor mounts and other items, they declared it a total and paid him about $20K for it, the going book value for a big block '69 at that point. Another guy ended up in the same position with a '69 Barracuda Formula S. They cars were very repairable, but that is the game the insurance companies play. If you have a pristine, low mile car with high dollar or unavailable factory replacement parts, they declare the car a total, give you high book and you take it or leave it. You need to consider collector insurance as the book values drop.

Coboss, you are on the right track. I contacted Heacock collector insurance a few months ago about insurance. The quote they gave me was only slightly better than my current Allstate policy. But the agent made the same point......if I total the car they will cut me a check for 38K with no questions. With the price of a Boss like mine down to about 34K give or take, that sounds better and better as the years go by. I am seriously considering the switch now.

Bay Area
It's cyclic, like almost anything anyone purchases. As for me I will accumulate miles and depreciate in smiles in the Boss. When the GT350 values drop Ill jump on one. Till then Im going to burn another tank of fuel.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
coboss said:
I don't have any plan to sell the Boss, but resale matters if you ever get in an accident. While most of the parts on the Boss are interchangeable with other Mustangs, there are enough unique pieces that eventually even a relatively minor hit could trigger the insurance company to declare a total loss. Wheels, suspension, stripes, interior bits, and of course anything to do with the engine. This is the risk you take with a pristine "collectible". I knew a couple of people who paid top dollar for great muscle cars 25-30 years ago before the values skyrocketed, and minor fender benders caused the insurance company to declare the cars total losses because of the cost of difficult to find parts vs. relatively low "book" values based on comparable resales. A good friend of mine spent a long time finding a '69 Vette with a 427 TriPower, and when he finally found one, he paid the then seemingly astronomical price of $23K for it. He spent a year and another $5K or so getting it to be great, then a drunk blew a stop sign and took out the front end. By the time the insurance company added up the cost of the hood, fenders, aluminum radiator, motor mounts and other items, they declared it a total and paid him about $20K for it, the going book value for a big block '69 at that point. Another guy ended up in the same position with a '69 Barracuda Formula S. They cars were very repairable, but that is the game the insurance companies play. If you have a pristine, low mile car with high dollar or unavailable factory replacement parts, they declare the car a total, give you high book and you take it or leave it. You need to consider collector insurance as the book values drop.

Agreed Value Policy. If you have a classic or a Boss get an agreed value policy. The book value is then irrelevant I have agreed values for the boss and my 1969 Vette.

TMO Supporting Vendors