The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss run to finish in 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mine hasn't arrived yet but it should be here any day. I'll look for it.

cbj5259 said:
Maybe they are planning to bring back the mustang II... ;D
Let's not forget what other cars were available at the time the Mustang II came out. It was pretty impotent as a muscle car, but was a better vehicle than most everything out there at that time. And, it kept the tradition going. I wasn't even a Ford guy back then (late 70's and 80's Fords were not very good cars), but in retrospect now you could get a 302 in the Mustang II from 75 - 78 and there were also Cobra versions which would still pack some get up and go for the time. And...the Mustang continued to be produced which was great for the tradition even if the cars weren't exactly the noteworthy ones of the mark.

jimprw said:
Let's not forget what other cars were available at the time the Mustang II came out. It was pretty impotent as a muscle car, but was a better vehicle than most everything out there at that time. And, it kept the tradition going. I wasn't even a Ford guy back then (late 70's and 80's Fords were not very good cars), but in retrospect now you could get a 302 in the Mustang II from 75 - 78 and there were also Cobra versions which would still pack some get up and go for the time. And...the Mustang continued to be produced which was great for the tradition even if the cars weren't exactly the noteworthy ones of the mark.
Excellent points. I remember the horrow when my mom brought home her new 1974 Mustang II Ghia. What no V8? :eek: Last Saturday I saw a 5.0 King Cobra for sale for $10K.

What is interesting to me is how they will sustain 2014 Mustang sales. The S197 has been wildly popular as have the special edition versions of it. However, with the 50 year anniversary coming and all the hype over the redesign, I just wonder how they'll move many 2014 models. I'm anxiously waiting to trade my '07 GT500 on a new track oriented Mustang, but no matter what they launch for 2014 I have a hard time thinking I'll buy another S197. I already have three, and as well as they've refined it, there's probably no way to match the much improved (likely) new chassis that will be lighter and more capable.

Yeah, so far 2014 is still a black hole...which is very strange since, as you've said, it is the 50th anniversary. I've seen plenty of stuff saying Ford had something special in store for the 50th anniversary run. Guess we'll need to wait for the announcements, but I have every confidence the group here will be right on top of it when it breaks.

jimprw said:
Yeah, so far 2014 is still a black hole...which is very strange since, as you've said, it is the 50th anniversary. I've seen plenty of stuff saying Ford had something special in store for the 50th anniversary run. Guess we'll need to wait for the announcements, but I have every confidence the group here will be right on top of it when it breaks.
2014 -1/2 is technically the 50th anniversary so that's what makes it an interesting twist. Rumors were a 2015 model launched very early 2014 like the Boss, but who knows. All I do know is that Ford is very adept at marketing and keeping secrets so whatever is coming, I'm sure it will be a surprise :D

GA
cloud9 said:
jimprw said:
2014 -1/2 is technically the 50th anniversary so that's what makes it an interesting twist. Rumors were a 2015 model launched very early 2014 like the Boss, but who knows. All I do know is that Ford is very adept at marketing and keeping secrets so whatever is coming, I'm sure it will be a surprise :D

The 2009 model year was shortened to introduce the 2010, so I expect Ford to do the same with the 2014. I hope Ford does something unorthodox to send the S197 out with a bang. It would be cool to have an "anyway you want it" half-model year, or a half-year of special editions. Personally if I were charge, I would offer the same fare as 2013 with a series of available special edition-like packages, i.e. Boss package, Mach 1 package, Bullitt package, etc. With the access to Ford Racing parts Ford can easliy do this. A Bullitt package would be the easiest to offer - just Highland Green paint, remove the badging and spoiler, a black out grille with satin aluminum surround, and torque-thrust wheels.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
With the rumors that the 2015 Mustang being introduced early , it follows Fords new program of being the first manufacturer to the forefront with model year changes. Who is to say that the 2014 year may not be short, or that a new Boss won't come out simultaneously with the rest of the 2015 line?

Finishing out the line may see Ford bring back other special models, but I for one hope they limit the Boss to the two years, and frankly when the 15 hits the streets hopefully it comes with a new name. The Boss was designed to bring back a historic name and it has been wildly successful, but with the next Stang trying to reach a younger audience, it might be the time to build a track beast , but rename it to reflect the step away from the legend. Possibly an ALMS or Grand Am Mustang to reflects today's racing -- depending on what the new new for the combined series lands on.

With the step away from the retro look , a new name and branding may make it in tune with the buyer they are hoping to capture.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
cbj5259 said:
Maybe they are planning to bring back the mustang II... ;D

Oh...just the thought...I might not be able to sleep tonight. That wicked little 302 in 1977 was rated at 134 hp. I think you can get a Prius with as much hp.

Ouch!! Thank goodness we've come a long way!

Wayne

BLAZN BOSS

Sorry guys, I worked at the dealership from 76-79..............Mustang II was a better looking pinto, at least thats how we looked at it...........hated servicing them, working on them , driving them..........yuk..............cant look at them any other way........now when the 1st fox body came i saw hope LOL

cloud9 said:
2014 -1/2 is technically the 50th anniversary so that's what makes it an interesting twist.

Technically, there is no such thing as a "1964 1/2 Mustang". It's just a designation given to Mustangs produced from April-August 1964 by collectors. They all left Ford with a 1965 VIN.

zzyzx

Steve
CaliMR said:
I'm not sure it would have enough of a hp bump vs the 302, but I would have considered trading in if it were done well

5.8 is 0.8 more than a 5.0.

444 HP / 5.0 = 88.8 HP/L

That implies that a 351 would be 515 HP, a 71 HP bump over the 302.

That, IMO, is "enough" of a HP bump over the 302 and I'd certainly be interested.

That's a far more significant bump than the Boss currently has over the GT.

Isn't the 5.8 based on the modular V8? I don't think it would be as efficient as the Coyote especially vs the Boss head motors unless they put some serious development into an NA version which would likely not be justifiable financially. If there was room in the Coyote to punch it out to 5.8, that would make more sense. The modular motor in the GT was 315 hp at 4.6 so 68 hp/liter or 395 hp in 5.8 form assuming no loss in efficiency. Getting it to 475 (similar bump to 302 over GT) while also passing emissions and not getting 10 mpg would take a bit of work.

But if it were 70 hp more and still track oriented as opposed to drag oriented, then yeah I would be in line with you ;D

This article on the GT500 motor seems to be pretty good, it does have 4 valve heads but does not have variable timing.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1203_2013_ford_shelby_gt500_trinity_5_8l_v8/viewall.html

A buddy of mine that works with "Ford" said that the "Hear-say" is that there will be a BOSS of some sorts in 2014. I demanded proof, as I stated even Ford has said the BOSS production run is over in 2013 (just like it was in 1970). My buddy seems to think there will be a BOSS 351 or the equivalent of what was the BOSS 429, which was a 1 year only run. Actually I think it was more like a 6 month run, but whatever.

I don't think there is any real "Merit" to this yet, other than Pre-Orders are starting soon for the 2014 cars, and supposedly, "according to my friend" on the sheet he saw it said "BOSS Pre-Orders available starting in March"...

I personally hope they do not continue the run in any form... If they want to do a "Special" mustang, bring back the Mach 1 with the Retro Style, I would love to see that... But don't over-produce the "BOSS" because it will only hurt the people that bought it as far as resale value goes. Granted most of us may not see the day 40-50 years from now when collectors say "Its worth $X.XX", but if they do what they have done to the Shelby line (in my opinion), it will ruin the "Heritage and Specialness" of this car.

The Shelby line was supposed to be a "Limited" production, but every year since what 2007 I think Shelby's have been popping out of the factory, and every year they go up in price and HP, making the previous year's buyer Hit themselves repeatedly, screaming, if I had only waited 6-8 more months I could have had 50-100 more HP and better stuff!..

Honestly, with the passing of Mr. Shelby, I think Ford should do one more year of the Shelby (2014) and then end production of it. If the Shelby family wants to take mustangs like Roush does and do up special editions that are extremely limited and sell them as Shelby's that is fine, but I don't think Ford should be mass producing them.

Just my personal opinion. For what its worth, while my BOSS is by FAR the best mustang I have ever owned or driven, mass producing it and or providing a way for a V6 guy or 5.0 guy to basically have everything I have in a "Limited Edition" is not cool...

zzyzx

Steve
CaliMR said:
Isn't the 5.8 based on the modular V8?

Read the article... thanks! And you are correct, it's base on the 5.4L. I thought it was Coyote based... nope! So yeah, I don't think the specific output would likely be on par with the Roadrunner.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
rpm3dinc said:
Just my personal opinion. For what its worth, while my BOSS is by FAR the best mustang I have ever owned or driven...

Really? What Year/Model do you believe was a better track car ?

TMO Supporting Vendors