The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss shifter problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
thanks for the review. I had planned to buy that shifter before I even bought the car. I have MGW shifters and the past and they make the best shifters by far IMO cause I have had others in my previous mustangs

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
boss2511 said:
thanks for the review. I had planned to buy that shifter before I even bought the car. I have MGW shifters and the past and they make the best shifters by far IMO cause I have had others in my previous mustangs
If you don't mind, let me check yours out after you get it installed. I actually like the stock piece and haven't had any issues save for a couple of blocked 2-3 shifts. But the way everyone keeps talking about the MGW, I may just have to get one (or two ;) ).

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Dig-It said:
boss2511 said:
If you don't mind, let me check yours out after you get it installed. I actually like the stock piece and haven't had any issues save for a couple of blocked 2-3 shifts. But the way everyone keeps talking about the MGW, I may just have to get one (or two ;) ).
sure if you live in the area. I hope to have it within a month or two

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
Thanks. I'm out towards Smithfield.

boss1 said:
I just saw you have 2 boss's. Ha! What gives?
The weather around here is mild enough to drive a Mustang year round, and I wanted a LS for a track car.

Ok, going to pick up the boss. Keep your fingers crossed that this thing shifts correctly this time...

Got the tanny fluid TSB done yesterday. Even tho it was not really cold here, notice that in the mornings the first time I do the 1-2 shift that the shift feels stiff, thats about it. With just 400 miles on the car have not gotten used to the shifting anyhow. Now the shifter feels a little smoother, 1-2 is ok and no noticable gear noise, even when hot. Shifts just feel a little more fluid. I have ordered the Steeda shifter mount, and will install it at our Mustang club tech day in April. Want to get 1k miles on so I can go out to a track day and get a feel for the car. There is a utube with a Boss and Roush 427R at Firebird, that is the track I use so its killing me until I can get out and play. Also does anybody go out to Willow Spring as a Boss group?

bolecailey said:
Guessing no, he sold or traded in the car after two transmissions.

Sure that was not the clutch? Sad story got a lemon huh. I would think that after all that Ford would have done somthing real good for him for all the trouble he went through like a tranny/clutch upgrade.

I hope he got his money back under the lemon law instead of taking a loss. But I'm sure he read it inside and out. Major let down.

several transmissions now that is far from normal I can not believe that Ford did not offer an free upgrade tranny. I would have done the lemon law but then again I love my car I am sure there would have been an upgrade in tranny for me I can be a -hole when needed ;D

CaliMR said:
What do you mean by upgrade?
Maybe they could have put a better trans in it or sent the car back to be fixed by Ford so it's right. Or a gt500 trans they are different I believe it is a direct bolt in.

It needs a different drive shaft, if nothing else. But there is no way they would do it, because that would be like admitting the stock tranny is not good and would open them up to lawsuits. The best I imagine you could get is a new tranny installed along with clutch, etc and maybe they would install for free if you brought your own different tranny/clutch but then that would be all for them doing it under warranty as they would not be the stock parts.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel