The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss shifter problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, well my transmission is out so now is the perfect time to switch the clutch. Im just hoping that fixes the issue if I go for it. 1 day of track use per transmission is nowhere near acceptable. To be honest, Ive never had a transmission problem before period.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
boss1 said:
Ok, well my transmission is out so now is the perfect time to switch the clutch. Im just hoping that fixes the issue if I go for it. 1 day of track use per transmission is nowhere near acceptable. To be honest, Ive never had a transmission problem before period.
I had the T45 in my 96 cobra crap out on me twice. swapped it out for a t-56 great trans but very notchy and didnt like to be flat shifted at all. this trans is nice by far one of there best even the stock shifter but it does have issues

boss1 said:
That stinks. Clearly you have something very wrong and there's many of us tracking our cars with no tranny issues. Hopefully they get the clutch issue figured out soon.

Yes when tracking your car are you doing repeated shifts at 7500 rpm? It seems that mine does not like the higher rpm shifts.....

Wow, well I have done nothing unusual and I have been through 2 transmissions in a month. Maybe I just got 2 bad transmissions...... I am really tentative to take this one back to the track but that is the main reason I bought the car....

Definitely let us know if you try another clutch. I would love to hear your experience.... I think a lot of the racers run an Exedy setup. You should contact Rehagen Racing or Tiger Racing to get more info on what setup to run.

Adam, exceedy is what I was going to put in. Since a number of members are not having problems, AND my intent buying this car was not to build a race car, Im leaving the clutch stock. I figure Ford made the car for tracking, they should know how to match a clutch and transmission to the engine. I will try the stock fix again and see what happens....

I have to think it could be the shifter after reading up on the mgw shifter and why they built it the way they did it was pretty cut and dry for me they were actually fixing a problem on the boss the stock shifter is hard mounted and really crap the mgw floats forward and bacward with your motor/tranny so that eliminates the bind problem if you go to mgw website they do some good videos on why they built it that way and just for the record whom ever did the first write up on the mgw shifter damn you just cost me more money I gotta have one. I am a tool maker for a medical company and I will add mgw shifter kit has alot of machining to be built so as to the cost it's a cheap price for sure.

jeepinocala said:
I have to think it could be the shifter after reading up on the mgw shifter and why they built it the way they did it was pretty cut and dry for me they were actually fixing a problem on the boss the stock shifter is hard mounted and really crap the mgw floats forward and bacward with your motor/tranny so that eliminates the bind problem if you go to mgw website they do some good videos on why they built it that way and just for the record whom ever did the first write up on the mgw shifter damn you just cost me more money I gotta have one. I am a tool maker for a medical company and I will add mgw shifter kit has alot of machining to be built so as to the cost it's a cheap price for sure.
Can you explain how the stock shifter is hard mounted and the MGW isn't? Maybe you have that backwards. Doesn't the stock shifter have more movement than MGW? One option on the stock shifter is to use a much stiffer rear mount and there are several aftermarket shifter brackets available, see below. The MGW comes with a very stiff rear mount. I've seen the MGW in person before a member installed it and it's an amazing piece but I'm not following your logic. ???

P1020943.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
TMSBOSS said:
My problems started the same way. Ran through first and second without issue. Pushed in the clutch to shift to third and it felt like the gate was blocked. Worst part about it was that I was running my brother in his M3 on a track of course, and I was beat by the M3 and my brother. :mad:

Had the TSB taken care of at my dealer, on of the good one's, and installed the MGW. World of difference. ;D

I also had the same problem with the 2-3 upshift!! Did the MGW shifter cure that issue?

Yes, the shifts with the MGW did stop the "Blocked" 2-3 shift.

The design of the MGW, centering springs, effectively guide the shifter from the 1-2 gate to the 3-4 gate when you push the level forward.

Great design.

[/quote] The rear mount has two guide pins the stock one does not you really need to look at the mgw the mount is hard mounted very solid with zero play but the body is guided by the two pins keeping it alingned where the stock shifter does not stay aligned watch their videos he explains it very well on another note I have noticed the mgw is the only shifter out there so far that gives all the brackets the rest of what Ive seen only give the top half and that does not fix the problems. I am ordering the mgw today after seeing the stock setup it really is just a bunch of cheap stamped steel that flexes to the point of binding.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Update on my MGW Install: I've had it in since the weekend. It's broken in very nicely already (it was a bit stiff at first) and I still strongly endorse it. No track time on it yet but I've simulated it a bit locally ;D

The only negative that I can report, and it's very minor, is that the 1 to 2 shift requires a little more pressure on the right side of the shifter to make sure you go straight down from 1 to 2, otherwise you'll find yourself going into 4'th gear (you won't bind up on a gate though. The gates are just even closer than stock). This is partially because I installed both bushings in the centering spring return, there is an option to only install 1 of them to have a little less force to center the shifter. I personally like the feel and would not change it. So far I can feel absolutely not negative effects of the shifter being partially secured to the body via the floating rear bracket. I am guessing that part of the challenge with the stock unit is that the rear bracket allows for too much play left to right, whereas the MGW rear bracket allows for none at all and only allows for a front to back movement.

My first event this season is 3/31. I'll report back again then or sooner if things go bad in the interim.

jeepinocala said:

LOL! yes, damn the person for doing a review on the mgw shifter. Now I must spend money on purchasing one as well....

TMSBOSS said:
Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
TMSBOSS said:
My problems started the same way. Ran through first and second without issue. Pushed in the clutch to shift to third and it felt like the gate was blocked. Worst part about it was that I was running my brother in his M3 on a track of course, and I was beat by the M3 and my brother. :mad:

Had the TSB taken care of at my dealer, on of the good one's, and installed the MGW. World of difference. ;D

I also had the same problem with the 2-3 upshift!! Did the MGW shifter cure that issue?

Yes, the shifts with the MGW did stop the "Blocked" 2-3 shift.

The design of the MGW, centering springs, effectively guide the shifter from the 1-2 gate to the 3-4 gate when you push the level forward.

Great design.

GREAT! The shifter was my only complaint about the boss.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel