The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

I think ive read b4 sumwhere that the boss 302 comes from factory with a barton shifter ... now i have doubts and i donno the truth !!

Who knows whats the exact shifter parts the 2013 boss 302 has ?? And if any shifter accessories plz mention them too ..

Ohh damn i didnt know about that ... what is the shift reduction on the mgw and on the barton ?? ... and which one would make a better shifter in performance and driveability ??

And for now i have the oem shofter with the blowfish bracket...

Should i go for the barton with the blowfish or just sell the blowfish and go for the new mgw ???

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
eng90 said:
Ohh damn i didnt know about that ... what is the shift reduction on the mgw and on the barton ?? ... and which one would make a better shifter in performance and driveability ??

If it were me, I'd get the MGW.

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/79

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
eng90 said:
Hey guys,

I think ive read b4 sumwhere that the boss 302 comes from factory with a barton shifter ... now i have doubts and i donno the truth !!

Who knows whats the exact shifter parts the 2013 boss 302 has ?? And if any shifter accessories plz mention them too ..

Ford Performance, (Ford Racing Performance Parts), adopted Barton as the vendor to manufacture the Ford Racing version of its MT82 short throw shifter, it's the same shifter as the Barton unit, but it is now licensed as a Ford Racing short throw MT82 replacement/upgrade shifter to the OEM shifter in our cars.

This shifter will work with your BFR shifter support bracket as it maintains the rear body mount needed for the BFR bracket. This is one option, and IMO, a very good option.

The MGW Race Spec (v2), is another good option, but this shifter eliminates the rear body mount and is used as a stand alone shifter solution.

The FRPP Barton has a slightly shorter shift throw, but it is very slight. Perhaps 3 to 5%? IIRC.

Good luck with your decision.
302 Hi Pro

I personally went with the MGW shifter on mine because I have heard the reviews which are just fantastic. I won't be able to give any feedback until Spring at the least though.

302 Hi Pro said:
Ford Performance, (Ford Racing Performance Parts), adopted Barton as the vendor to manufacture the Ford Racing version of its MT82 short throw shifter, it's the same shifter as the Barton unit, but it is now licensed as a Ford Racing short throw MT82 replacement/upgrade shifter to the OEM shifter in our cars.

This shifter will work with your BFR shifter support bracket as it maintains the rear body mount needed for the BFR bracket. This is one option, and IMO, a very good option.

The MGW Race Spec (v2), is another good option, but this shifter eliminates the rear body mount and is used as a stand alone shifter solution.

The FRPP Barton has a slightly shorter shift throw, but it is very slight. Perhaps 3 to 5%? IIRC.

Good luck with your decision.
302 Hi Pro

So the frpp shiter is the exact same part as barton ??

And what would the difference be between having a bfr bracket with a barton shifter and the mgw without bfr bracket ?? ( in terms of shifting smoothnes, solidity of ahifting and better for power shfting )

Since you already have the Blowfish bracket the it appears the main difference between Barton and FFRP will be the cost;

See https://lmr.com/item/BTN-2011BM1/2011-Mustang-Barton-Short-Throw-Shifter

and

https://lmr.com/item/M7210MGTB/2011-13-Mustang-GT-Shifter-M-7210-Mgtb
With the barton to post bracket which you don't need with the Blowfish

TMO Supporting Vendors