The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Side Pipe Delete - Sacrilege?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am thinking about Kooks long pipe headers and H-pipe catted back to my magnaflow axle-back. I know cooltech makes this setup for side pipes but I may simplify. Is there any purpose to the side pipes besides better sound? Do they help the engine breathe easier? Since I am using my Boss occasionally at work and in the neighborhood, I prefer a quieter sound if that is all I lose.

milestogo said:
I am thinking about Kooks long pipe headers and H-pipe catted back to my magnaflow axle-back. I know cooltech makes this setup for side pipes but I may simplify. Is there any purpose to the side pipes besides better sound? Do they help the engine breathe easier? Since I am using my Boss occasionally at work and in the neighborhood, I prefer a quieter sound if that is all I lose.
I am installing Kooks LTs and an H-pipe as well and losing the side exhaust to save weight and to keep the even louder exhuast coming right up in the side windows. That said, I'm not sure you'll quiet it down overall by installing LTs as that will make the car louder. It shouldn't make a significant difference in power whether you go with or without the side pipes.

Sesshomurai

Have it both ways, like me. Install this:

http://www.amazon.com/QTEC302-Mustang-Electric-Exhaust-Cutout/dp/B006IUXF44

Mild-to-wild switch. What could be better?

With the Kooks boss side pipes, you also get this:

sidepipe1.jpg

No real benefit other than sound and they do add some weight.

I'm thinking about removing them, as well.

Besides, the 302S and R seem to do fine without them. :)

On a related note, I noticed the standard GT has some plastic shields (presumably to protect the fuel tank and/or improve aero).

mustanghpipe_zpsc997995f.png

Worth installing upon removal of the side pipes?

EDIT:

PS - I stole this pic from 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords. I hope that's OK. I am a subscriber if that makes any difference (probably not). :-\

PPS - I don't know why I didn't post this link:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1208_boss_302_exhaust_sides_and_sounds/

I've got the Kooks Lt's, off road x and a Corsa axle back. Mine is crazy loud at wide open throttle but no drone on the highway. I don't miss the side pipes. Sold that setup to help off set the cost.

I think I made up my mind then. Side pipes are going and kooks are coming in. I presume for NA the 1 3/4" are fine. Not sure what the 1 7/8" are for but I seem to recall they had some benefit for FI.

CrazyHorse1847 said:
I've got the Kooks Lt's, off road x and a Corsa axle back. Mine is crazy loud at wide open throttle but no drone on the highway. I don't miss the side pipes. Sold that setup to help off set the cost.
Good to know since I'll have the same setup when it gets here too. Still streetable if you're well mannered I hope? It's hard to stay out of the loud pedal, but I'll probably short shift a lot around town now.

As far as 1-3/4 vs 1-7/8 I was told bigger is better.....

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
VTBoss302 said:
On a related note, I noticed the standard GT has some plastic shields (presumably to protect the fuel tank and/or improve aero).

Worth installing upon removal of the side pipes?

Those are aerodynamic spats. I wouldn't bother installing a set, but they don't weigh much and I'm sure they wouldn't be hard to find.

cloud9 said:
Good to know since I'll have the same setup when it gets here too. Still streetable if you're well mannered I hope? It's hard to stay out of the loud pedal, but I'll probably short shift a lot around town now.

It's streetable but definately will bother your neighbors if they have sensitive ears. ;D I'm worried it may be too loud for some tracks. Not sure if mine is louder due to the SC or if that makes no difference.

cloud9 said:

Hey Gary. Evolution told me the 1 3/4" are the way to go for the extra torque. I didn't ask exactly how much extra, but they seemed it was enough to recommend it.

Sesshomurai

LindsayEOD said:
Hmmm. Did they give you a reason why? I've heard a couple of people say 1 3/4 is the way to go for N/A. Evolution was the only one that said you get more torque, however.

The guys at Lethal said the bigger pipes would be best if you intended to go forced induction. I guess it kinda makes sense.

cloud9 said:

I was told that 1 7/8 you will loose torque unleess you go forced air. 1 3/4 is what you want for N/A. This is so I was told by my local speed shop.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
boss man said:
I was told that 1 7/8 you will loose torque unleess you go forced air. 1 3/4 is what you want for N/A. This is so I was told by my local speed shop.

For this power level, I would assume this to be correct. The smaller diameter pipe *should* be better matched for higher velocity flow and scavenging.

milestogo said:

Do you plan to get an aftermarket tune or are you waiting to see what happens with the factory tune?

seca954 said:
Do you plan to get an aftermarket tune or are you waiting to see what happens with the factory tune?

I would probably have Steeda do the install (though someone said in another post, they wouldn't because it's "illegal"). So I would update the tune at Steeda as well. I understand the long tube headers are very difficult to install so I don't feel like taking that on solo.

TMO Supporting Vendors