The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss started up like a Mack truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last Friday I moved my car to the driveway, washed it and let it sit for a couple of hours then moved it back in the garage that night. Yesterday evening, Wednesday I started it up and it sounded like a cold diesel engine starting. There was a lot of smoke and you could smell the raw gas, and to top it of the was tapping. I shut it off for a while and tried it again and it was a little rough but smoothed out after a couple of seconds. I'm not sure what went on there but I don't like it. I think when I moved it in the garage after washing it gas must have some how pooled in the cylinders, it was cold. No idiot lites cam on and there wern't any codes. I'm not sure if I should waist my time at the dealers or not because it's fine now. I would hate to have this b***h blow up after the warrenty's out. I only have 11k on it. Anyone have any thought or comments?

Mine's done that a few times after sitting for a few days, especially after a track event. The white cloud of smoke can be a bit unnerving ;D I wouldn't worry too much about it if you didn't throw any codes or a CEL.

cloud9 said:
Mine's done that a few times after sitting for a few days, especially after a track event. The white cloud of smoke can be a bit unnerving ;D I wouldn't worry too much about it if you didn't throw any codes or a CEL.

Thanks, that's the reassurance I was looking for. I've been thinking about this I don't want any major motor problems down the road, no pun intended.

Mine has eaten oil the first start up after sitting for a month, and a noticeable amount. I just don't let it sit that long anymore.

This is all very interesting. Mine started up one morning like I was using trackey meaning it had a lopey sound which lasted about 20 sec. At the same time it was throttling up and down. Never happened again. I am hoping there will be a fix for the trackey ping issue in the near future. I saw a lot of dark smoke when I was on it pretty hard.

Mine did it once. Went to the market came out started it and oh my. Black gas smoke, total over rich and would not clear up with throttle. I did not want to wash the cylinder walls and score them so I shut it off. Sat there a few moments depressed and refired. Way better but rough, winged it a couple of times and it cleared the plugs just fine. Has not gone stupid again. No codes. Computers, marvels when they work and scary bad when they have a brain fart.

I can see I'm not alone on this. I did notice it gulped about 1/2 quart of oil after the initial start up.

racered302 said:
I can see I'm not alone on this. I did notice it gulped about 1/2 quart of oil after the initial start up.

FWIW my car has eaten around 6 quarts of oil in a little over 3000 miles. It seems to consume some whenever I let it sit for a month without driving it, though it also was burning quite a bit just driving it. It has since mostly stopped burning oil driving, but still burns some after it has sat. No idea why.

racered302 said:
Last Friday I moved my car to the driveway, washed it and let it sit for a couple of hours then moved it back in the garage that night. Yesterday evening, Wednesday I started it up and it sounded like a cold diesel engine starting. There was a lot of smoke and you could smell the raw gas, and to top it of the was tapping. I shut it off for a while and tried it again and it was a little rough but smoothed out after a couple of seconds. I'm not sure what went on there but I don't like it. I think when I moved it in the garage after washing it gas must have some how pooled in the cylinders, it was cold. No idiot lites cam on and there wern't any codes. I'm not sure if I should waist my time at the dealers or not because it's fine now. I would hate to have this b***h blow up after the warrenty's out. I only have 11k on it. Anyone have any thought or comments?

This to me sounds like you are losing oil pressure in th Ti-VCT system while the engine is not running. Once you start it up, it builds oil pressure in the system and you then regain correct cam timing.

Cjmclean31 said:
Mine did this one time and I shut it down. Started right back up fine.

Same here. It happened once when I restarted her right after shutting her off. It sounded like I had race cams. I shut her down and restarted her again and she ran fine. I tred to get it to do it again but never could.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Also get the white smoke starts sometimes at the track--I think it's from letting the car idle for extended periods (5-10 min cooldown after session) w/ TK idle enabled. I'm going to disable TK idle from now on at the track and see if that solves it.

TMO Supporting Vendors