The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Stereo System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For those of you that already own your Boss. I heard the stero is horrible. Can some one confirm that. I live in the Gerogia and my 2013 LS is being purchase in Greensboron NC where I have always bought my Mustangs. I have a very good friend that does all the tinting and stero systems upgrades for all the dealerships in that area. He does incredible work. Before I have my car shipped I was thinking about dropping 3k system in my car before I get it because where I live in Georgia there are no high end professional that do state of the art work. I don't want a liveable situation and money is not an obstacle.

I agree the stereo is horrible. I think my 07 corolla has a better system. As soon as I finish my cooling mods for the track a new sound system will be at the top of the list! I know most others just say to turn off the radio and listen to that quad exhaust.. and honestly its what I do right now bc the system sucks that bad. but occasionly I like to crank up the volume and the stock system just doesnt cut it.

A lot of us have replaced the door speakers, and I added the iSimple setup for Sirius and iPod interface. My next mod is the iPad protective film over the display. That thing apparently has a very soft plastic screen that can scratch easily. I agree the stock stereo is pretty bad, but I think a sub would be a worthwhile investment. That was the 2nd best mod I've done to my diesel truck after the multi-position chip.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
It's pretty poor but it does get a little better once the stock speakers break in a little. It also sounds much better (still not good though) with using the AUX input for some reason. As others have posted, better speakers seem to make a significant difference. A sub would help the low end, but in general the system seems to have a fair amount of midrange and high end distortion which nothing can address outside of replacing the entire system.

Personally, I just listen to the engine ;D

replacing the entire sound system in mine I do like to hear the engine but also would like the stereo system to be as nice as the car.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I bought two sets of door Pioneer speakers for my boss and daughters 2010 V6.

Daughter said she was happy with the 500 system. So I installed one set in the doors and one in the rear of the Boss. Much better sound.

Yep, Daughter liked the sound so we put two sets in her Mustang.

Nice improvement.

If you have to have amazing sound from your radio. An upgrade for the whole system may be in order.

I still prefer to hear the V-8 Tunes.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
yeah I agree that the stock system blows. the shaker 500 in my 06 gt was way better. my beater car has two ten inch subs and a 1000watts to them and infinity door speakers through out and tweeters. having that go from that to the boss stereo makes it that much worse lol. What are the options for aftermarket head units?

There is a metra double din kit but it is supposed to look bad, from the reviews. The stereo has to go at the bottom, since that is where the gap is in the dash. AC controls go to the top.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27065_Metra-99-5823CH.html

There was a rumor of a touch screen version but I haven't looked into it as I am not a stereo guy. I'll probably do speakers at some point, I would like a USB input but not if it is expensive. MP3 CDs work for now.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
There is a metra double din kit but it is supposed to look bad, from the reviews. The stereo has to go at the bottom, since that is where the gap is in the dash. AC controls go to the top.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27065_Metra-99-5823CH.html

There was a rumor of a touch screen version but I haven't looked into it as I am not a stereo guy. I'll probably do speakers at some point, I would like a USB input but not if it is expensive. MP3 CDs work for now.
yeah I wont be doing that. Really all I want is a way to play my ipod and be able to control it with the stock stereo. is there a way to say get a shaker or what ever they call the better stereo to fit and work with what is already there?

Don't know, but might be able to find something on the regular mustang forums. If the metra used the stock AC controls and didn't have an LCD screen, it would probably be a lot cheaper and much better looking.

The isimple should integrate the ipod and stuff

CaliMR said:
Don't know, but might be able to find something on the regular mustang forums. If the metra used the stock AC controls and didn't have an LCD screen, it would probably be a lot cheaper and much better looking.

I got the scosche kit it is very nice the metra kit looks simple but I have read of people saying they are cheap built.

jeepinocala said:
CaliMR said:

I got the scosche kit it is very nice the metra kit looks simple but I have read of people saying they are cheap built.

That looks a lot better. Is there room behind the top 1 din to fit a head unit or is it shallow? Metra said they didn't have one up there because there wasn't room. Or what did you put in the top hole?

Did you need the $130 harness they sell for the steering wheel controls to work?

That looks a lot better. Is there room behind the top 1 din to fit a head unit or is it shallow? Metra said they didn't have one up there because there wasn't room. Or what did you put in the top hole?

Did you need the $130 harness they sell for the steering wheel controls to work?
[/quote]
With the scosche kit I put a clarion nx501 touch screen bluetooth for phone use, the steering control kit Yes I got it to plus a simple nice looking backup camera built on the plate bracket I really did not care for a backup cam but figured what the hell while I am in there may as well also the kit for ipod and all the new phones and the emergency brake lockout kit I figure one time only the features are unlimited gps nice touch screen and look at the scosche kit ac/heat control its damn nice so as for the ford options I am so damn glad they did not put sunk in these cars my wifes truck has sunk in it and to upgrade from there well good luck. The nx501 you can get these pretty cheap on ebay from a good seller with warrante and read up on them oh and satalite radio. ford can not beat this setup with any of their systems. I added a system simple jl audio c5 speakers all around and one amp to run it 500/5 jl not to bad priced if you just buy bit by bit off ebay then put it together you will be happy.

I installed the Metra because nothing else was available at the time along with the speakers, added a couple of amps and a sub. Much better then stock.The Metra's not bad, looks cleaner then stock. I just don't like looking down to adjust the radio or following the nav. I should have gotten a radio with the slide out screen that can angle up. All in all, I'm happy with it.

racered302 said:
I installed the Metra because nothing else was available at the time along with the speakers, added a couple of amps and a sub. Much better then stock.The Metra's not bad, looks cleaner then stock. I just don't like looking down to adjust the radio or following the nav. I should have gotten a radio with the slide out screen that can angle up. All in all, I'm happy with it.
I was going to but the metra because of it looking simple like the boss just got a super deal on the scosche with the wireing kit.

TMO Supporting Vendors