The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss stock tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok so today was the first semi hot day here in Fl and the stock tires hooked up pretty damn good I was amazed since through the entire winter it would blow the tires out through 1,2 and 3rd gear I will give this a little more effort before judging but I have hope for the stock tires ;D.

The only problem with the stock P 0's is their price. ;D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
jeepinocala said:
I herd they will only get 20,000 miles?

Maybe 20,000 yards, not miles. ;D The only way you'd get 20K miles is if you stay straight and keep it under 65 MPH. I was getting 20-25K miles on my Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they had a 300 tread wear rating. The Corsa's have a 60 rating....

Ok guess I should put away anoth 1400 ;D I had thoughts of putting 17 in the rear and 18 in the front for more of a drag setup that might get a few years on them.

ArizonaGT said:
7200 miles on my P-Zeros (non-corsa) and they are looking really good, tons of tread left, although I did get two new rears due to flats.
You caught up to me over the winter. Same mileage here (7500) and tires are still in great shape. Wish I could say the same for my track tires. :mad:

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jeepinocala said:
Ok so today was the first semi hot day here in Fl and the stock tires hooked up pretty damn good I was amazed since through the entire winter it would blow the tires out through 1,2 and 3rd gear I will give this a little more effort before judging but I have hope for the stock tires ;D.
yeah I was the same way here in va beach. when I first got it I would spin spin spin...and I was thinking looks like I need differenet tires cause these suck. once it got warm like in the upper 70's I was amazed that the car hooked so well. the tread wear rating on mine say 220

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
jeepinocala said:

I've hear people say good things about the Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position tire. It comes in stock Boss sizes at half the cost of the stock Pirelli's. It you do any street driving, you'll appreciate the tread wear is rated about 6 times greater than that of the Pirelli's too. Probably a little drop off in the bite on the track. But everything in life is choices and trade-offs.

VA Boss

About 7k on the stockers here, and they are wearing really well - right now I don't see any problem hitting 20k miles and beyond with them.

Then again, I run separate track wheels and tires, so I don't dual-purpose them. But I am quite impressed with the Pirellis, nice tire for what it is. Question is, when I do replace them, what with...they are bloody expensive for what I do on the street, which isn't much ;D. I spend plenty on track tires, but really, I don't need a whole lot out of a street tire.

New Boss owner here (I took deliver of a Comp Orange Boss on 3/23). I used to own a 2001 S2000 which I tracked at Summit Point several times. I went through 3 sets of tires in 30k miles...

Justin

I want to go with something wider out back when the time comes for new tires. Anyone go with a 305/35 out back? just wonder if it will have clearance issues

boss2511 said:
I want to go with something wider out back when the time comes for new tires. Anyone go with a 305/35 out back? just wonder if it will have clearance issues

I think Gary run's 305's on his 18" track wheels - with the correct offset it should be no issue. I run 295's on mine, but could go wider with no issues. As long as your wheel offset is correct, you're fine.

Justin

LateApex said:
boss2511 said:

I think Gary run's 305's on his 18" track wheels - with the correct offset it should be no issue. I run 295's on mine, but could go wider with no issues. As long as your wheel offset is correct, you're fine.
I want to go wider on the stock wheel. I looked up the size difference and it would throw the speedo off by 2.1% or something. I dont want to soak a bunch of money into a new set of street wheels.

boss2511 said:
It will clear fine, but you should have at least a 10" rim to fit properly. I run 305s guite often on the track, but on a 10.5" rim.

Justin

cloud9 said:
boss2511 said:
It will clear fine, but you should have at least a 10" rim to fit properly. I run 305s guite often on the track, but on a 10.5" rim.
well I have some time to figure it out. I will probably end up going with hankook V12's in stock sizes all the way around. would be cool to have some big steam rollers out back though lol

boss2511 said:
I want to go wider on the stock wheel. I looked up the size difference and it would throw the speedo off by 2.1% or something. I dont want to soak a bunch of money into a new set of street wheels.

The stock wheels are only 9.5" wide. The stock 285s are pushing it for that size rim. To go wider you would need a wider rim.

TMO Supporting Vendors