The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Test drive = new owner :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, finally....after all the researching, reading, forum lurking I FINALLY got to see a 12 boss in person. It was a competition orange with all options sitting in the dealers showroom. Well long story short, Today I got to take it out for a test drive as they new I was serious. I was the first person to drive it as it only had 6 miles. I was completely blown away with it. The car is incredible, it handled soooo much better than I was expecting and was faster also. I bought it right afterwards ;D
So long my LS3, The road runner 5.0 is my favorite V8 now. It`s the BOSS :)

Congratulations. Where's the photos?

Awesome, congrats on the new Boss! I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I had never seen a Boss in person, but a dealer near my work had a performance white one on their lot. I set up a time to go check it out and after my test drive I knew I was making the right choice by buying one of these amazing cars. I didn't have any intention of buying that day as I already had a deposit at another dealer for a 2013 Boss.

I had been upfront with the dealer about my situation before the test drive, and even though I came in not looking to buy I have to say the test drive almost pushed me over the edge for a second. However, even though I really appreciated my treatment up until that point, the salesman automatically started writing up the paperwork which was the first thing that rubbed me the wrong way. They had a hidden ADM tacked on, and I told them straight up I wouldn't even consider the deal unless it was close to or at invoice.

They dropped it down to MSRP and acted like thy were doing me a favor. I explained that I really preferred the '13 model (they didn't even realize the mustang was undergoing a slight change) and could find the exact same car right up the street for about 2k under MSRP. They looked at me like I was crazy and the Manager claimed that there was no way any used bosses were out there. I thought that was funny because there are used bosses out there and I had never said anything about the boss in question being used in the first place (which it wasn't LOL).

The final straw came when he tried to get me to buy a '13 boss from him, and asked me what color I was looking at. I told him I wanted one in School Bus Yellow, to which he smirked and told me that there would probably be an ADM on a yellow car because people either love it or hate it, and they didn't want to get stuck with it. I couldn't believe my ears. First, I would be surprised if SBY isn't one of the most popular, if not the most popular boss color for '13. Second, who the hell tells a customer that due to their apparently strange taste in color they will have to pay an ADM to cover the perceived risk.

Needless to say I walked out promptly after that. Sorry for the long story. I guess what I am trying to say is while I didn't have the best experience at that particular dealership, it sure was hard driving away in my '05 GT. Enjoy the new ride and be sure to post some pics!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
szlachcic22 said:
Awesome, congrats on the new Boss! I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I had never seen a Boss in person, but a dealer near my work had a performance white one on their lot. I set up a time to go check it out and after my test drive I knew I was making the right choice by buying one of these amazing cars. I didn't have any intention of buying that day as I already had a deposit at another dealer for a 2013 Boss.

I had been upfront with the dealer about my situation before the test drive, and even though I came in not looking to buy I have to say the test drive almost pushed me over the edge for a second. However, even though I really appreciated my treatment up until that point, the salesman automatically started writing up the paperwork which was the first thing that rubbed me the wrong way. They had a hidden ADM tacked on, and I told them straight up I wouldn't even consider the deal unless it was close to or at invoice.

They dropped it down to MSRP and acted like thy were doing me a favor. I explained that I really preferred the '13 model (they didn't even realize the mustang was undergoing a slight change) and could find the exact same car right up the street for about 2k under MSRP. They looked at me like I was crazy and the Manager claimed that there was no way any used bosses were out there. I thought that was funny because there are used bosses out there and I had never said anything about the boss in question being used in the first place (which it wasn't LOL).

The final straw came when he tried to get me to buy a '13 boss from him, and asked me what color I was looking at. I told him I wanted one in School Bus Yellow, to which he smirked and told me that there would probably be an ADM on a yellow car because people either love it or hate it, and they didn't want to get stuck with it. I couldn't believe my ears. First, I would be surprised if SBY isn't one of the most popular, if not the most popular boss color for '13. Second, who the hell tells a customer that due to their apparently strange taste in color they will have to pay an ADM to cover the perceived risk.

Needless to say I walked out promptly after that. Sorry for the long story. I guess what I am trying to say is while I didn't have the best experience at that particular dealership, it sure was hard driving away in my '05 GT. Enjoy the new ride and be sure to post some pics!
sounds like my dealer I bought my boss from. they were jerks but my 06 was on borrowed time and I wanted it gone that day for it for 44 out the door

any ways zero congrats man! be sure to get some pics up.

Congrats on the new baby!

Now. Don't get all excited every time you jump in and want to immediately start banging through the gears. The #1 goal every time you drive is to get the trans up to temp as gracefully and with the least amount of shifting as possible! What I do is take it to 4k RPM in 1st then let the RPM's drop to below 2k and shift into 4th. Depending on your street you may or may not be able to do this, but the goal is to warm it up and let the wear patterns establish themselves properly without grinding while cold and/or new.

My strategy has paid off and at 12,500 miles my trans shifts good when cold and great when warm or hot.

Just thought I'd share my experience in breaking in my MT82.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Congrats to the OP on his new Boss! I have to wait until Q3 for mine. Will bide my time with a big list of mods and upgrades...

Now regarding the last post, where did you come up with this method for 'transmission break in' ?

What part of the country are you in regarding ambient temperature considerations? I plan on letting my Boss idle for at least 2-3 minutes on start up to make sure the fluids are up to the proper operating temps before driving. As the Boss comes with heavy duty cooling capabilities, I don't want things to be 'too cool' lubrication-wise when driving up here in 'New Hampsha'

ace72ace said:
Congrats to the OP on his new Boss! I have to wait until Q3 for mine. Will bide my time with a big list of mods and upgrades...

Now regarding the last post, where did you come up with this method for 'transmission break in' ?

What part of the country are you in regarding ambient temperature considerations? I plan on letting my Boss idle for at least 2-3 minutes on start up to make sure the fluids are up to the proper operating temps before driving. As the Boss comes with heavy duty cooling capabilities, I don't want things to be 'too cool' lubrication-wise when driving up here in 'New Hampsha'

Pretty much came up with it on my own based on my experience with manual transmissions. Essentially you don't want to ever "grind" the transmission. When cold these MT82's want to bite and grind a little. By warming it up a little before banging through the gears, I've had a lot of success both with my MT82 and my ZF6's in my Super Duty Powerstroke truck. I'm not trying to imply that it's some scientifically substantiated methodology, but it's worked for me and I suspect it will work for others.

I'm in Northern CA so it's a pretty mild climate. I don't think idling for 3 mins is going to warm much other than the engine oil a little. I get in, start it, let it idle for about 5 seconds then go easy. At 12,500 miles my engine doesn't really consume any oil.

Your gonna luv the new boss. My friends and family couldn't understand why I would trade my Porsche 911 in on a ford mustang. That is until they saw it and rode in it. Great choice no matter what the color. I get more compliments and head turners than I ever did in the Porsche . Just stick the red key in, fire her up. Let it warm for a minute or two and go enjoy the ride.

Yeah the car is amazing. I never would have thought it would handle that good AND be that fast. My SS I traded felt like a pick up truck compared to the Boss. :D

MA
zero said:
Yeah the car is amazing. I never would have thought it would handle that good AND be that fast. My SS I traded felt like a pick up truck compared to the Boss. :D

Congrats and welcome to the Boss! Good to see a former SS owner commenting so favorably about the Boss. I never drove a Camaro, and while I think they look sharp, I hate GM in general. I did drive a Challenger before my Boss, and it honestly was like driving a half ton truck. Funny to hear you say that about the Camaro too!

The 5.0 is a great little motor. And the Boss chassis is nothing short of amazing.

The camaro was great until I drove something better..lol
The SS had very bad tramlining, the tires seemed to follow every road imperfection and you were constantly correcting it at the wheel which got old real fast as it felt you were driving all over the road. The LS3 revs slow and the VERY tall gearing in the camaro makes for lots of downshifting. The handling and power of the boss is actually shocking when coming from another muscle car. You would think they would be all very close but the boss is in another category all together.

Your subject line should serve as a warning; if you aren't serious about buying, don't test drive. Once I did, there was no turning back.

Enjoy; amazing how I have driven 1200 miles with mine to nowhere; just jump in and start driving.

I was ready to buy the Gt with Brembo and 3.73s. Nobody would let me drive a Boss without a deal. Oh well figured I would hate myself if I did not drive the Boss and dismiss it because of the extra 8 grand. Went to the dealer plunked down a big wad and said Boss, sticker, now. Drove it and was instantly depressed. I HAVE TO HAVE THIS. Dealer bent me over in the dark and I ran away screeeeeeeming. Two days later found another at a smaller dealer showed him the wad and drove away at sticker.
The car is not perfect but it reallllllly comes close. I am a road racer and it can not compare to my Sports 2000 Lola but I can drive it every day.
The GT is a great deal but you only live once.
I got great joy when I found out to install the track key the first dealer was the guy in my area. Drove it in and while it was being installed I visited the sales vultures and walked them out to my car and asked them to take me off of thier email list.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Fat Boss said:
ace72ace said:

Pretty much came up with it on my own based on my experience with manual transmissions. Essentially you don't want to ever "grind" the transmission. When cold these MT82's want to bite and grind a little. By warming it up a little before banging through the gears, I've had a lot of success both with my MT82 and my ZF6's in my Super Duty Powerstroke truck. I'm not trying to imply that it's some scientifically substantiated methodology, but it's worked for me and I suspect it will work for others.

I'm in Northern CA so it's a pretty mild climate. I don't think idling for 3 mins is going to warm much other than the engine oil a little. I get in, start it, let it idle for about 5 seconds then go easy. At 12,500 miles my engine doesn't really consume any oil.

Yeah the idle time is for the engine oil, and for me to sit there and appreciate the sound of awesome.

Yea me too. I just wait until the idle drops below 1000 before I back it out of the garage. Just because. It usually only takes about 30 to 45 seconds. Let's everything start to circulate and lubricate a little. Listen for any odd noises and It just makes me feel better.

Fat Boss said:
I'm in Northern CA so it's a pretty mild climate. I don't think idling for 3 mins is going to warm much other than the engine oil a little. I get in, start it, let it idle for about 5 seconds then go easy.
Wow I let mine idle for at least 10 seconds before I put it in gear. ;) I'm like the others and wait for the idle to drop but now that I have my Aeroforce gauge I wait to see 100 on the CHT before driving away.

TMO Supporting Vendors